X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • johncorrigan
    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Joseph K View Post
    So I made the mistake of pre-ordering the new Boulez The Conductor boxed set direct from DG, since now that it is out I see it being offered for significantly less money from other vendors, and, what's more, Parcelforce is now telling me that my parcel is in their delivery depot (in Coventry) awaiting payment of custom charges! Apparently I'm to expect a letter telling me how I pay (after already paying too much for the thing - along with all the P&P or so I thought at the time).
    I hope it doesn't adversely affect your enjoyment of the records when they arrive, Joseph.

Comment

• Bryn
      Banned
      • Mar 2007

So I made the mistake of pre-ordering the new Boulez The Conductor boxed set direct from DG, since now that it is out I see it being offered for significantly less money from other vendors, and, what's more, Parcelforce is now telling me that my parcel is in their delivery depot (in Coventry) awaiting payment of custom charges! Apparently I'm to expect a letter telling me how I pay (after already paying too much for the thing - along with all the P&P or so I thought at the time).
      Could you possibly reject the parcel, causing it to be returned to the vendor for a full refund?

Comment

• Joseph K
        Banned
        • Oct 2017

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
        My heart goes out to you.
        Thank you, S_A - but do I detect sarcasm?

Originally posted by johncorrigan View Post
        I hope it doesn't adversely affect your enjoyment of the records when they arrive, Joseph.
        I'm sure not.

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
        Could you possibly reject the parcel, causing it to be returned to the vendor for a full refund?
        Probably, but I'm not sure I can be bothered with the hassle, now - it's only in Coventry, so close and yet so far!

Comment

• cloughie
          • Dec 2011

Probably could but not totally honest!

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
            • Dec 2010

Thank you, S_A - but do I detect sarcasm?
            Absolutely not!!! Unfortunately there seems to be no emoji for literalness!

Comment

• Bryn
              Banned
              • Mar 2007

Originally posted by cloughie View Post
              Probably could but not totally honest!
              Surely that would depend on the conditions of carriage associated with the order. If the matter of import duty was not raised when the order was placed, one should not expect such import duty to be applicable. It also occurs o me that there have been a number of reports of scams relating to parcels supposedly held up due to fake claims regarding import duty.

Comment

• jayne lee wilson
                Banned
                • Jul 2011

Which vendor was this from Jo? DG themselves? Located in Germany?
                Did they mention any further delivery charges? If this was specific on the order page, write to the Vendor and ask if they gave any written warning anywhere about further customs charges etc. If it wasn't there you should get a refund. Stick to your guns!

Wait a minute.
                ...did you see this page? Just below the individual countries' shipping costs? Not looking good I'm afraid....
                Deutsche Grammophon Shop - the official label store: Vinyl, CD, Special Editions & Merchandise. New releases, classics & more from DG in Berlin

But if this wasn't stated on the order page, I would still write to them about that....(suggestively.....)

I used to experience this a lot with Japanese CDs from HMV.jp (Tokyo), but of course I knew the risk was always there. Sometimes they applied customs' charges/VAT/delays to the order, sometimes not....a considerable extra cost. More frustrating still, the Customs' delay was often 5 days or more, after the CDs had taken just 48 hrs from Tokyo to Coventry...

I guess the possibility will always be there outside the EU now.....
                Last edited by jayne lee wilson; 02-02-22, 16:32.

Comment

• Joseph K
                  Banned
                  • Oct 2017

It also occurs o me that there have been a number of reports of scams relating to parcels supposedly held up due to fake claims regarding import duty.
                  That doesn't sound good.

Originally posted by jayne lee wilson View Post
                  Which vendor was this from Jo? DG themselves? Located in Germany?
                  Did they mention any further delivery charges? If this was specific on the order page, write to the Vendor and ask if they gave any written warning anywhere about further customs charges etc. If it wasn't there you should get a refund. Stick to your guns!

Wait a minute.
                  ...did you see this page? Just below the individual countries' shipping costs? Not looking good I'm afraid....
                  Deutsche Grammophon Shop - the official label store: Vinyl, CD, Special Editions & Merchandise. New releases, classics & more from DG in Berlin

I used to experience this a lot with Japanese CDs from HMV.jp (Tokyo), but of course I knew the risk was always there. Sometimes they applied customs' charges/VAT/delays to the order, sometimes not....a considerable extra cost. More frustrating still, the Customs' delay was often 5 days or more, after the CDs had taken just 48 hrs from Tokyo to Coventry...

I guess the possibility will always be there outside the EU now.....
                  Yes, from DG in Germany. Yes, I've already paid the shipping cost. A shame to hear you've experienced similar things, why this is happening in Coventry is beyond me. And yes, I suspect this might have something to do with being outside the EU. I may well email DG, however - worth a go...

Comment

• oddoneout
                    • Nov 2015

Don't know if this is of any use/relevance? https://www.gov.uk/goods-sent-from-abroad/tax-and-duty
                    There have been articles(and many many comments) in the Guardian consumer section about similar difficulties. It would appear to be a minefield, and an inconsistent one at that, with the delivery services adding difficulties with their interpretations or approach to the regulations.

Comment

• Joseph K
                      Banned
                      • Oct 2017

Originally posted by oddoneout View Post
                      Don't know if this is of any use/relevance? https://www.gov.uk/goods-sent-from-abroad/tax-and-duty
                      There have been articles(and many many comments) in the Guardian consumer section about similar difficulties. It would appear to be a minefield, and an inconsistent one at that, with the delivery services adding difficulties with their interpretations or approach to the regulations.
                      Thanks, OddOneOut. A minefield indeed.

Comment

• Joseph K
                        Banned
                        • Oct 2017

Parcelforce is now telling me that my parcel is in their delivery depot (in Coventry) awaiting payment of custom charges! Apparently I'm to expect a letter telling me how I pay.
                        I've received this now.

I'm getting ripped-off. I was going to write an email to DG but as the letter makes clear, my email to DG would amount to "hey, Brexit happened, can I have some recompense"

I guess I could cancel the whole thing and request a refund from DG. But that would involve waiting even longer, I think; no doubt other - more sensible - people would have no problem waiting longer when it involves saving a fair amount of money - not me though. I've learnt my lesson - do not order expensive goods from overseas.

I wasn't going to post this but felt like a rant!
                        Last edited by Eine Alpensinfonie; 05-02-22, 19:30.

Comment

• Jonathan
                          • Mar 2007

You missed the "sh" out of Brexit.
                          Best regards,
                          Jonathan

Comment

• Dave2002
                            • Dec 2010

I raised a question about this kind of thing last year. I used to get quite a few large boxes from the EU - in the days when there wasn't any significant or unreasonable confusion. Since the UK "definitively" left the EU I've not bothered on the grounds that it would probably turn out to be a complete hassle. I"m not sure if the experiences discussed here fall exactly into the category of hassle I anticipated, but practically it might be simplest - depending on the magnitude of the "rip off" to just accept the charge, but not initiate any similar orders in future. If the rip off is really significant, then refuse the package and request a refund - which might be one interpretation of the rules.

I just realised that this might affect my own purchasing - as I was considering buying some box sets from JPC. Until I feel sure that charges are going to be either insignificant or reasonable I'll continue to not buy anything direct from EU suppliers.

Please let us know how much "damage" has been incurred due to unwanted/unexpected charges if you accept the package.

Comment

• jayne lee wilson
                              Banned
                              • Jul 2011

I've received this now.

I'm getting ripped-off. I was going to write an email to DG but as the letter makes clear, my email to DG would amount to "hey, Brexit happened, can I have some recompense"

I guess I could cancel the whole thing and request a refund from DG. But that would involve waiting even longer, I think; no doubt other - more sensible - people would have no problem waiting longer when it involves saving a fair amount of money - not me though. I've learnt my lesson - do not order expensive goods from overseas.

I wasn't going to post this but felt like a rant!
                              I think you paid about €200 or £170 for this set? That compares well with Presto - currently £203, and not released till 11/02. Amazon have just reduced from 169 to 160, again a pre-release temptation. (I don't see the delivery charge because I have Prime).

If you don't wish to say - OK, but as a veteran (well, ex-addict now) of International Orders (mainly from Japan) and a sighing (usually willing) victim of the VAT/Fees/Admin costs, it would be interesting to know how much you were charged, and how it breaks down....
                              I recall a £50 CD set had £25 added by Parcelforce for the unholy trinity. My enthusiasm was somewhat curbed for any more Japanese Specials....

The only EU Orders I've had post 1/1/21 have been from Momox in Berlin and those were charged at no more than the price stated on the Amazon listing, which in fact should be the case with all such orders, unless otherwise stated. It is probably the safest way to order from the EU.
                              Has anyone here had any unstated extras charged on Amazon-EU items (Ordered from UK)?
                              Last edited by jayne lee wilson; 05-02-22, 20:54.

Comment

• Joseph K
                                Banned
                                • Oct 2017

Originally posted by jayne lee wilson View Post
                                I think you paid about €200 or £170 for this set? That compares well with Presto - currently £203, and not released till 11/02. Amazon have just reduced from 169 to 160, again a pre-release temptation. (I don't see the delivery charge because I have Prime).

If you don't wish to say - OK, but as a veteran (well, ex-addict now) of International Orders (mainly from Japan) and a sighing (usually willing) victim of the VAT/Fees/Admin costs, it would be interesting to know how much you were charged, and how it breaks down....

The only EU Orders I've had post 1/1/21 have been from Momox in Berlin and those were charged at no more than the price stated on the Amazon listing, which in fact should be the case with all such orders, unless otherwise stated. It is probably the safest way to order from the EU.
                                Has anyone here had any extras charged on Amazon-EU items (Ordered from UK)?
                                Originally posted by Dave2002 View Post
                                Please let us know how much "damage" has been incurred due to unwanted/unexpected charges if you accept the package.
                                Ok - the set cost 200 euros + 17.45 euros for shipping costs. On top of that Parcelforce, on behalf of HM Revenues & Customs, have charged 33 pound Import VAT + 12 pound Clearance Fee.

The back of the letter explains how items over 135 pounds from overseas are subject to such costs.

I coughed up because I do have more money than patience, it seems...

Comment

Working...
                                X