X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • oddoneout
    • Nov 2015

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
    I am still reeling from seeing that half water melon with a lid on - René Magritte could have dreamed that one up!
    Does preclude making proper watermelon slices though, cutting the fruit in half that way.

Comment

• Pulcinella
      Host
      • Feb 2014

Originally posted by oddoneout View Post

I think it might be a layered breakfast jar - those are raspberries on top. Designed to be posted on social media rather than being a sensible way to take breakfast to work or wherever, as the contents can't be mixed in situ, and in a jar that narrow and filled to the top just getting a spoon in would make for an overflow mess. Emptying the contents into a bowl means another item to carry or source and wash up, and inevitably makes for waste as stuff will get left on the sides of the jar and whatever it is decanted into.
      We quite often make that sort of thing as a dessert, admittedly in a wider glass.
      Layers of crushed Oatie biscuits (possibly dosed in sherry or a liqueur), Greek yoghurt (possibly honey flavoured), and fruit (blueberries, raspberries).
      Quick and easy.

Comment

• Old Grumpy
        • Jan 2011

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post

Milk cartons have obviously not yet reached you up wherever you are, somewhere obscure beyond Barnet.
        Not much left of my Barnet, S_A - hence why I am often pictured with a flat cap

Yes, we have cartons - I just couldn't be bothered with the extra typing...

...although where we lived previously in Anton's manor we had a real milkman who delivered bottles though pinties, not pintas as they would have been in my boyhood [in fact I had a holiday job as the milko's assistant for a while in my youth].
        Last edited by Old Grumpy; 02-10-24, 16:25. Reason: Typo corrected

Comment

• Old Grumpy
          • Jan 2011

Originally posted by oddoneout View Post

I think it might be a layered breakfast jar - those are raspberries on top. Designed to be posted on social media rather than being a sensible way to take breakfast to work or wherever, as the contents can't be mixed in situ, and in a jar that narrow and filled to the top just getting a spoon in would make for an overflow mess. Emptying the contents into a bowl means another item to carry or source and wash up, and inevitably makes for waste as stuff will get left on the sides of the jar and whatever it is decanted into.
          Who takes breakfast to work? Surely one has breakfast before one sets off for work!

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
            • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Old Grumpy View Post

Not much left of my Barnet, S_A - hence why I am often pictured with a flat cap

Yes, we have cartons - I just could be bothered with the extra typing...

...although where we lived previously in Anton's manor we had a real milkman who delivered bottles though pinties, not pintas as they would have been in my boyhood [in fact I had a holiday job as the milko's assistant for a while in my youth].

Comment

• oddoneout
              • Nov 2015

Originally posted by Old Grumpy View Post

Who takes breakfast to work? Surely one has breakfast before one sets off for work!
              If your working day is 9-5 perhaps...

Comment

• smittims
                • Aug 2022

Of course one should breakfast before leaving, for the sake of one's health. But many make do with something on the train. I was disgusted one week when I had to make an early journey to Nottingham and saw people eating Mars bars on the train at 0710. I had had coffee and Scott's porage oats before leaving so I wasn't thinking of food at all.

Comment

• LMcD
                  • Sep 2017

Originally posted by smittims View Post
                  Of course one should breakfast before leaving, for the sake of one's health. But many make do with something on the train. I was disgusted one week when I had to make an early journey to Nottingham and saw people eating Mars bars on the train at 0710. I had had coffee and Scott's porage oats before leaving so I wasn't thinking of food at all.
                  'A Mars a day helps you work, rest and play' (Remember the tune?)

Comment

• cloughie
                    • Dec 2011

Originally posted by LMcD View Post

'A Mars a day helps you work, rest and play' (Remember the tune?)
                    …and ‘go to work on an egg!’

Comment

• LHC
                      • Jan 2011

Originally posted by cloughie View Post

…and ‘go to work on an egg!’
                      Popularised thanks to Fay Weldon, who also came up with the phrase "Vodka gets you drunker quicker", although perhaps unsurprisingly the add agency she worked for at the time was rather less keen on building a campaign around that one!
                      "I do not approve of anything that tampers with natural ignorance. Ignorance is like a delicate exotic fruit; touch it and the bloom is gone. The whole theory of modern education is radically unsound. Fortunately in England, at any rate, education produces no effect whatsoever. If it did, it would prove a serious danger to the upper classes, and probably lead to acts of violence in Grosvenor Square."
                      Lady Bracknell The importance of Being Earnest

Comment

• Dave2002
                        • Dec 2010

Originally posted by smittims View Post
                        Are you relacing "Disgusted of Tunbridge Wells"? A more northern version, perhaps!

Comment

• LMcD
                          • Sep 2017

Originally posted by Dave2002 View Post
                          Are you relacing "Disgusted of Tunbridge Wells"? A more northern version, perhaps!
                          'Relacing' suggests that somebody's having trouble putting their shoes on.

Comment

• cloughie
                            • Dec 2011

Must need some ‘casuals’.

Comment

• LMcD
                              • Sep 2017

Originally posted by cloughie View Post

Must need some ‘casuals’.
                              I now wear slip-ons because I'm no longer able to lace up, let alone relace, shoes!

Comment

• Dave2002
                                • Dec 2010

Only sometimes!
                                Clearly the gremlins in my keyboard - though nowadays I find that something in the computer does change what I type. Very annoying - grumble, grumble ....

Probably was my typing in the shoes reference, though. Darn it - just did it again. Hopefully corrected to what I meant to reply.

Comment

Working...
                                X