• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • french frank
    Administrator/Moderator
    • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
    Dyson is to move its manufacturing operations to Malaysia, making half its UK workforce redundant.

NB: "The European Union and Singapore have negotiated a Free Trade Agreement and an Investment Protection Agreement.

The agreements aim to:
    • remove nearly all customs duties and get rid of overlapping bureaucracy;
    • improve trade for goods like electronics, food products and pharmaceuticals;
    • stimulate green growth, remove trade obstacles for green technology and create opportunities for environmental services, and;
    • encourage EU companies to invest more in Singapore, and Singaporean companies to invest more in the EU."

It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• Old Grumpy
      • Jan 2011

Another reason not to buy Dyson...

Comment

• LMcD
        • Sep 2017

Originally posted by Old Grumpy View Post
        Is that why a friend of mine recently told me that, in his honest opinion, 'Dyson sucks'?

Comment

• eighthobstruction
          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by LMcD View Post

Is that why a friend of mine recently told me that, in his honest opinion, 'Dyson sucks'?
          multiple jokes are possible but not acceptable....( send to PM 8thO)
          bong ching

Comment

• Old Grumpy
            • Jan 2011

Also blows

Comment

• LMcD
              • Sep 2017

Originally posted by eighthobstruction View Post

multiple jokes are possible but not acceptable....( send to PM 8thO)
              My friend had to explain it to me three times before - simple soul that I am - I 'got it'.
              Who or what is PM 8thO, please?

Comment

• Old Grumpy
                • Jan 2011

Who or what is PM 8thO, please?
                Private Message eighth Obstruction (I would guess).

8thO
                Last edited by Old Grumpy; 10-07-24, 21:30. Reason: Correction of typo

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                  • Dec 2010

Originally posted by french frank View Post

NB: "The European Union and Singapore have negotiated a Free Trade Agreement and an Investment Protection Agreement.

The agreements aim to:
                  • remove nearly all customs duties and get rid of overlapping bureaucracy;
                  • improve trade for goods like electronics, food products and pharmaceuticals;
                  • stimulate green growth, remove trade obstacles for green technology and create opportunities for environmental services, and;
                  • encourage EU companies to invest more in Singapore, and Singaporean companies to invest more in the EU."
                  That's all right then - "your" shares won't be affected. Odd that they should choose to move out when the Starmer has made so much of promising to encourage "green growth" in the UK. Ironic too that following Brexit, Singaporean/EU investment links are part of the sweetener, just as the EU shows serious signs of future strains. But it's all about consumer choice, innit!

Comment

• french frank
                    Administrator/Moderator
                    • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Old Grumpy View Post
                    And, in certain circumstances, to wipe your hands surreptitiously on your jeans after washing your hands.
                    It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• oliver sudden
                      • Feb 2024

I don't see what all the fuss is about Dyson. You see their urinals everywhere but I've never managed to get the hang of them.

Comment

• Dave2002
                        • Dec 2010

... and Finally ... until the next time ....

Now managed with some effort get my Santander PIN sorted. Only 600 miles or so [more by road, slightly less by crow ...] in order to find a branch and an ATM which finally sorted out my PIN. Burgess Hill has a branch next to a Costa Coffee shop.

First I put my card into the ATM - which I thought would sort things out - and I printed out a very short statement. I asked a Santander agent if it would now work - "yes - but you will probably have to put your PIN number in".

Go next door to the coffee shop, and of course it didn't work..... Grrr.

Back to the branch, and go to the counter. "Ah - it's still blocked - you need to go back to the ATM and ublock it". Ah - "obvious" when you see it - but not at all obvious if one has already seen some things work on the ATM. After that went to WH Smiths and bought something with the PIN number applied to the card, and the last act was to go across the road to SuperDrug to use it in contactless mode to buy a cheap box of tissues.

Now when did I post the first "news" of this saga? Six weeks ago, maybe!

No - it was only about a month ago - but I didn't expect to have to travel 600 miles to get this fixed. Yuk!

At least I didn't have to make an extra 18-20 mile trip [each way] in order to get that done locally!!!

Comment

• Pulcinella
                          Host
                          • Feb 2014

I find that saga quite baffling, and wonder if it's unique to Santander that you have to use one of their ATMs.

All that I have to do with a new card is ensure I use chip and pin the first time (touch/scan would be rejected anyway, and you'd be told to inset the card and use the PIN), and off you go.
                          But maybe you wanted to do something else than simply authorise its use?

Comment

• Dave2002
                            • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Pulcinella View Post
                            I find that saga quite baffling, and wonder if it's unique to Santander that you have to use one of their ATMs.

All that I have to do with a new card is ensure I use chip and pin the first time (touch/scan would be rejected anyway, and you'd be told to inset the card and use the PIN), and off you go.
                            But maybe you wanted to do something else than simply authorise its use?
                            I don't know the answer, but on a previous occasion I tried to get a card to work with a new PIN inserting it into any ATM seemed to make things worse. Once the card has been blocked it definitely does need resetting in a branch ATM - as far as I can tell.

It may well be unique to Santander - as I had originally assumed that using a PIN once almost anywhere would get things going - but it didn't work on previous occasions, and I wasn't going to risk that again.

If anyone else finds evidence either way I'd be glad to know of it, but I don't intend to deliberately test these things out by not following the specific instructions. The instructions definitely say "Santander ATM". Also note that in my case it wasn't a new card, but a card being issued with a new PIN.

Comment

• Pulcinella
                              Host
                              • Feb 2014

Originally posted by Dave2002 View Post
                              I don't know the answer, but on a previous occasion I tried to get a card to work with a new PIN inserting it into any ATM seemed to make things worse. Once the card has been blocked it definitely does need resetting in a branch ATM - as far as I can tell.

It may well be unique to Santander - as I had originally assumed that using a PIN once almost anywhere would get things going - but it didn't work on previous occasions, and I wasn't going to risk that again.

If anyone else finds evidence either way I'd be glad to know of it, but I don't intend to deliberately test these things out by not following the specific instructions. The instructions definitely say "Santander ATM". Also note that in my case it wasn't a new card, but a card being issued with a new PIN.

That's remarkably restrictive then, as you suggest.

Comment

• Dave2002
                                • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Pulcinella View Post
                                , o

That's remarkably restrictive then, as you suggest.
                                It wouldn't be so restrictive if the "fix" could be done at ATMs of any bank, or if the companies weren't so intent on closing branch offices. Some banks allow PIN changes via apps or logging in to online banking - but I have noted some variation between banks, and the apps and login procedures. I have only found one bank to be reasonably consistently reliable regarding apps and online service - so I tend to use that one most, but we do have other accounts with different banks for various purposes.

Comment

Working...
                                X