• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Bryn
    Banned
    • Mar 2007

Originally posted by DracoM View Post
    ............Or Genghis Khan, maybe, which is how I suspect that Farage sees himself and the Brexit party.
    To which message posted here is that intended to be a response?

[see below!!]
    Last edited by DracoM; 27-05-19, 14:45.

Comment

• Bryn
      Banned
      • Mar 2007

Originally posted by ahinton View Post
      That's a very pertinent point which I've not heard or seen mentioned elsewhere - and that tally of signatories (the only worthwhile Tories, peut-être!) continues to increase steadily even though the momentum has slowed a while back; almost 85,000 have signed since it passed the 6m mark.
      Bear in mind that the NI results are yet to be determined, let alone announced. Currently, it looks like being DUP 1, SF 1, Alliance 1, but as to first preference votes, that is, as yet, a mystery.

Comment

• sidneyfox
        Banned
        • Jan 2016

Originally posted by Richard Tarleton View Post
        My comment a perfectly serious one, not surprising, a chastened silence for a few days only to be expected. A few links, for anyone who's missed the reviews, starting with a review by the former Regius Professor of History at Cambridge, followed by one by AN Wilson, author of The Victorians and a biog of Queen Victoria......

The Tory MP’s celebration of the Victorian age is plodding, laborious, humourless and barely readable.  

Jacob Rees-Mogg’s self-consciously “old-fashioned” manners and appeals to patriotism are familiar to all TV viewers. He would like us to believe that his monetarism and his Euroscepticism have their roots in the good old days of Victoria and the British Empire — hence this book, which claims to be a

A lifetime ago, when Theresa May was the new Iron Lady of British politics, the Tories had piled up a 20-point lead in the opinion polls and we were definitely going to leave the EU on March 29, Jacob Rees-Mogg agreed to write a history of the Victorians. It seemed such a good idea that it was surpr

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/t...uled-8pf36xnck
        If you are perfectly serious that R-M is not centre stage in the media because his book has received bad reviews, then that's the infantile attitude that I'm commenting on.

Comment

• Richard Barrett
          • Jan 2016

Originally posted by sidneyfox View Post
          If you are perfectly serious that R-M is not centre stage in the media because his book has received bad reviews, then that's the infantile attitude that I'm commenting on.
          I suppose the thought was that he might be reluctant to appear in public after the reception of his book since people would obviously be asking him his opinion on the subject, and decided instead to wait until it had been forgotten, as Johnson's book on Churchill seems already to have been. I don't really see what's "infantile" about that.

Comment

• sidneyfox
            Banned
            • Jan 2016

Originally posted by Richard Barrett View Post
            Anyway: I see that the total vote for explicitly Remain-supporting parties was 38%, that for the hard Brexiters 36.8% and that for the two (usually) main parties 23.4%. Hardly something that's likely to translate into a decisive result in a hypothetical second referendum, given that Labour and Tory votes would be split. But if promising one at a hypothetical general election is going to deliver a government that will also address the kinds of issues that burning dog has mentioned, then I'm for it. And after yesterday that seems more likely than it did before.
            Agreed. A second referendum is likely to produce a similarly close result. I'm not sure it's a good idea and there must be another way to secure a government that focuses on the real issues, not Brexit.

Comment

• sidneyfox
              Banned
              • Jan 2016

Originally posted by Richard Barrett View Post
              I suppose the thought was that he might be reluctant to appear in public after the reception of his book since people would obviously be asking him his opinion on the subject, and decided instead to wait until it had been forgotten, as Johnson's book on Churchill seems already to have been. I don't really see what's "infantile" about that.
              That sounds a little less infantile, but it's a very unlikely explanation. Calling J-M a 'carper' and focusing on the pretty irrelevant issue of his book reviews etc, reflects the infantile nature of Westminster politics that we have to suffer these days.

Comment

• Richard Tarleton

Perfectly serious - why would I not be? The timing of R-M's self-promoting book was of his (and his publishers') choosing. The universal derision with which it has been received was, I daresay, not anticipated. I fail to see what is infantile about a perfectly reasonable observation. And calling fellow forumites "infantile" is objectionable.

Comment

• french frank
                  Administrator/Moderator
                  • Feb 2007

Although he might become centre stage if he follows his younger sister's example into her new party (though they didn't do especially well in his neck of the woods, coming a distant second). His current party gained less than 8% of the vote in Bath & NE Somerset, and they also lost the ward in which Mr Rees-Mogg lives in the local election two weeks ago. I suppose he could go off and stand in another part of the country if he feels his seat is at risk.
                  It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• Conchis
                    Banned
                    • Jun 2014

I think ‘Mr. Foxe’ has been in these parts before....

Comment

• Bryn
                      Banned
                      • Mar 2007

Originally posted by Conchis View Post

surely?

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
                        Gone fishin'
                        • Sep 2011

A second referendum is likely to produce a similarly close result.
                        Possibly - maybe even probably; but people do change their minds about leaving institutions. Is the suggestion that there is no "second chance" for such people - that once they've chosen to go, they shouldn't be given the opportunity to change their minds, but should be "made" to face up to their decisions and accept the consequences?
                        [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• Richard Barrett
                          • Jan 2016

Originally posted by Conchis View Post
                          You don't say!

Comment

• Bryn
                            Banned
                            • Mar 2007

BBC NI News have just used Berlioz SF (that's Symphonie Fantastique, rather than Sinn Féin) as the backdrop to their summing up of the Tory debacle. The rationale being that it was claimed to be popular the last time they (the Tories) fared so badly.

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
                              Gone fishin'
                              • Sep 2011

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
                              BBC NI News have just used Berlioz SF (that's Symphonie Fantastique, rather than Sinn Féin) as the backdrop to their summing up of the Tory debacle. The rationale being that it was claimed to be popular the last time they (the Tories) fared so badly.
                              Well, yes - it was popular last week, too.
                              [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• Bryn
                                Banned
                                • Mar 2007

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post
                                Well, yes - it was popular last week, too.
                                What surprised me was that the presenter actually offered the rationale.

Comment

Working...
                                X