• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • french frank
    Administrator/Moderator
    • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
    Oh, very droll.
    It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• Richard Tarleton

Originally posted by cloughie View Post
      ......................I see that back-bench carper Rees-Mogg has not stepped up to the hustings! Obviously Jacob’s Ladder is on the lower rungs!
      I get the impression he's been a bit quiet for the last week after his book on the Victorians was ripped to shreds by the critics......

Comment

• oddoneout
        • Nov 2015

Originally posted by Richard Tarleton View Post
        I get the impression he's been a bit quiet for the last week after his book on the Victorians was ripped to shreds by the critics......
        Perhaps he's rethinking which Victorian statesman to model himself on.

Comment

• sidneyfox
          Banned
          • Jan 2016

Some infantile comments on Rees-Mogg in this thread - reflects the infantile culture of Westminster these days, I'd say.

Comment

• sidneyfox
            Banned
            • Jan 2016

I feel it to be important to bear in mind that a majority of the electorate did not vote to leave the EU. 37.5% does not constitute a majority and cannot legitimately be held to represent ‘the will of the people’. 62.5% of the electorate did not vote to leave. I contend that failing to vote can reasonably be held to indicate that one is basically content with the status quo.
            Lovely bit of confirmation bias that!

Let me have a go at the old snake oil stuff and see if I can do better than you.

"The second biggest election turnout of voters ever in the UK - most of whom voted to leave".

"Most people who voted in the 2016 referendum voted to leave, irrespective of a deal"

"Disgruntlement, distrust of politicians, political parties and political processes, and destruction of people's national identity and established way of living are the reasons for populist protest votes for Brexit in 2016. I contend that failing to vote can reasonably be held to indicate the widespread sentiments of the former sentences and therefore over 66% of the entire electorate wanted to leave the European Union"

I think I've out-Brynned, Bryn in the confirmation bias stakes

Comment

• Bryn
              Banned
              • Mar 2007

Originally posted by sidneyfox View Post
              Some infantile comments on Rees-Mogg in this thread - reflects the infantile culture of Westminster these days, I'd say.
              Which Rees-Mogg? The infantile Tory or his Brexit Party sister who looks to be on course to become an MEP.

Comment

• sidneyfox
                Banned
                • Jan 2016

Which Rees-Mogg? The infantile Tory or his Brexit Party sister who looks to be on course to become an MEP.
                You think Annunziata is a back bench MP who recently wrote a book on The Victorians? Keep up, please.

Comment

• Bryn
                  Banned
                  • Mar 2007

Thornberry seems pretty much spot on in her assessment. In many areas, the clearly anti-Brexit parties are topping the clearly pro-Brexit Parties. The collapse of the UKIP Party was very much to be expected, as was the diminution of the Tory and Labour. East of England is pretty evenly split between pro- and anti- EU membership.

Comment

• Bryn
                    Banned
                    • Mar 2007

You think Annunziata is a back bench MP who recently wrote a book on The Victorians? Keep up, please.
                    Look to your own failure to make clear which of Bill's parasitic progeny you were fawning after.

Comment

• sidneyfox
                      Banned
                      • Jan 2016

Look to your own failure to make clear which of Bill's parasitic progeny you were fawning after.
                      I was referring to the posts by cloughie, Richard Tarleton and Oddoneout which were about the Conservative back-bench MP. Please keep up #2.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                        • Dec 2010

Originally posted by ahinton View Post
                        What might be interesting now is for BBC or some other news organisation to tell us which Conservative party MP's are NOT throwing their hats into the leadership ring...
                        So many clamouring to be the leader really sums up the Tory mentality...

Comment

• Bryn
                          Banned
                          • Mar 2007

I was referring to the posts by cloughie, Richard Tarleton and Oddoneout which were about the Conservative back-bench MP. Please keep up #2.
                          You merely referred to "Rees-Mogg", while tilting at then unspecified fellow contributors' supposed "infantile" comments.

Comment

• sidneyfox
                            Banned
                            • Jan 2016

Thornberry seems pretty much spot on in her assessment. In many areas, the clearly anti-Brexit parties are topping the clearly pro-Brexit Parties. The collapse of the UKIP Party was very much to be expected, as was the diminution of the Tory and Labour. East of England is pretty evenly split between pro- and anti- EU membership.
                            Where's the bit about the utterly remarkable Brexit Party performance? Or is your post another example of confirmation bias?

Comment

• sidneyfox
                              Banned
                              • Jan 2016

You merely referred to "Rees-Mogg", while tilting at then unspecified fellow contributors' supposed "infantile" comments.
                              No I didn't. I referred to the posts in here. Keep up #3 - strike three, you're out

Comment

• subcontrabass
                                • Nov 2010

To give this thread a musical link, I see that Andrew Nethsingha's wife Lucy is now an MEP.

Comment

Working...
                                X