X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • cloughie
    • Dec 2011

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
    It bucketted down here, just now, sending the neighbour's tabby cat rushing in here nearly drownded. I hope the woman on the checkout this afternoon thought I was just predicting a couple of hours ahead when I told her it would remain dry!
    I hope she didn’t have a late shift and her washing still out! You may have to change your store loyalty!

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
      Gone fishin'
      • Sep 2011

Both my loo and handbasin were manufactured in honour of John Coltrane
      A Lav Supreme?
      [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
        • Dec 2010

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post
        A Lav Supreme?

(Why didn't I think of that?)

Comment

• gradus
          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by eighthobstruction View Post
          ....well I think you should set up a shrine to Thomas Crapper and give darshan seva to Twyford Trent [plenty of incense (if you haven't got any heat up some shoe polish)]....a good weekend of meditating on the toilet should see you fine until these drugs have worn offf.....only for you to wake up and find out that the Zombie Govt and PM have risen again and are....blaa blaa....
          Lavatory -wise, why doesn't Bramah get his due recognition these days, surely the equal of Crapper?

Comment

• french frank
            Administrator/Moderator
            • Feb 2007

Originally posted by gradus View Post
            Lavatory -wise, why doesn't Bramah get his due recognition these days, surely the equal of Crapper?
            Had to look that one up - for me, Joseph Bramah was an inventive locksmith. I bought a 'junkshop' table which turned out to have a Bramah lock - and proved that bit of junk to be Georgian (still junk and not worth much!). Bramah still have a shop in London where I took the lock to confirm what it was.
            It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• burning dog
              • Dec 2010

(Why didn't I think of that?)
              ....http://www.artceram.it/en/products/c...ons_6/jazz_20/

Comment

• vinteuil
                • Nov 2010

Originally posted by french frank View Post
                Had to look that one up - for me, Joseph Bramah was an inventive locksmith.
                ... "Did you know Ernest Bramah's real name was Smith ? I guarantee this as a perfect conversation stopper."

Nancy Banks Smith, The Guardian 29 September 1971

Comment

• french frank
                  Administrator/Moderator
                  • Feb 2007

Originally posted by vinteuil View Post
                  ... "Did you know Ernest Bramah's real name was Smith ? I guarantee this as a perfect conversation stopper."

Nancy Banks Smith, The Guardian 29 September 1971

Well, after you've said, Yes, what is there to say? I think BBC children's television dramatised some of his Kai Lung stories. Was there one which explained how the 'Willow Pattern' became popular by someone inadvertently sitting down on a newly painted plate, and then subsequently sitting on a blank plate? Was that Kai Lung? I can still remember the actor's face. I think he was Huw or Hugh Someone.
                  It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• eighthobstruction
                    • Nov 2010

yes that's a very sophisticated ceramic method of dealing with a touch of the Brancuzzis'....
                    bong ching

Comment

• vinteuil
                      • Nov 2010

... Was there one which explained how the 'Willow Pattern' became popular by someone inadvertently sitting down on a newly painted plate, and then subsequently sitting on a blank plate? Was that Kai Lung?
                      ... yes : 'The Story of Wong Ts'in and the Willow Plate Embellishment' in chapter two of Kai Lung's Golden Hours .

Comment

• Padraig
                        • Feb 2013

Was there one which explained how the 'Willow Pattern' became popular by someone inadvertently sitting down on a newly painted plate, and then subsequently sitting on a blank plate? Was that Kai Lung?
                        Indeed it was, f f. It's The Story of Wong Ts'in and the Willow Plate Embellishment, from Kai Lung's Golden Hours.

I still have my orange Penguin, though I have not read it in a long time.

You wait for a bus and then two...
                        Last edited by Padraig; 25-05-19, 14:03. Reason: too late

Comment

• french frank
                          Administrator/Moderator
                          • Feb 2007

Thank you, vinteuil and Padraig. I think it was probably at that point that my big brother bought three orange Penguins, one of which was Kai Lung Unrolls His Mat, another was probably Kai Lung's Golden Hours and I'm sure there was a third. I inherited all three at one point, but later on I had to give them back because he wanted them again . So they are no longer on my bookshelves .

Just Googled: The Wallet of Kai Lung

Comment

• jayne lee wilson
                            Banned
                            • Jul 2011

So there I was all innocence, hoping for views on the most politically momentous events of our times....

Too much to hope for, as the usual suspects hijack it into quips puns and irrelevance....

Level of thread: somewhere below twitter and Facebook...

Be a long time before I start one of these again...

Comment

• french frank
                              Administrator/Moderator
                              • Feb 2007

Sorry sorry sorry - but when I'm on the scent of something - this must have been the play (called the Dragon Embellishement) from Children's Television 1956:

In glorious black and white:

Wong T'sin, a potter: Philip Ray

Wei Chang a young workman: Hugh David - that was the hapless Hugh who sat on the plate!

Blimey - 63 years ago? Seems like yesterday

Comment

• vinteuil
                                • Nov 2010

jayne : it may be that others here are just as alert to the 'politically momentous events' as you are, but choose not to share their despair and sense of impotent rage on these boards. I have found this thread entertaining...

Comment

Working...
                                X