• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jayne lee wilson
    Banned
    • Jul 2011

May is nearly out and so is May

So the inevitable.....

Visit BBC News for up-to-the-minute news, breaking news, video, audio and feature stories. BBC News provides trusted World and UK news as well as local and regional perspectives. Also entertainment, business, science, technology and health news.

What next...?
  • Richard Barrett
    • Jan 2016

Originally posted by jayne lee wilson View Post
    What next...?
    June, I guess.

Comment

• teamsaint
      • Nov 2010

Well, if the bookies are right, and Boris gets the job, he will then really have to own it. And I don't think he will want to be seen as the man who took us into a disastrously prepared no deal. And he is probably the one person in the party who could deal with the political fall out whatever u turn/delay/change of direction is necessary. So if he can't get a long delay from Brussels for a " managed no deal" ( whatever that looks like) he will probably have to get a mandate through a GE , or do something really dramatic like revoke with a view to a new process, which seems very unlikely.
      Presumably the EU will allow an extension for a GE, which seems to me to be the path of least resistance. But then , he'd have to have another delay up his sleeve for the GE campaign ( wouldn't he?) to avoid a no deal exit within the next few months.
      Another thing that may yet develop is the understanding ( among mainsteam tory MP brexiters and the public) that "no deal" really is a fools paradise, because we would be back negotiating in months, or likely weeks, and the EU will simply slap the WA back on the table. Boris must know this, And he'll have to deal with it.
      Oh, and the Irish border is still there.
      I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

• Padraig
        • Feb 2013

Originally posted by Richard Barrett View Post
        June, I guess.
        I had 'June...possibly', which I thought was quite enigmatic.

But 'there is nothing new...'
        '

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
          • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Richard Barrett View Post
          June, I guess.
          Then July? - No, I never lie.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
            • Dec 2010

Originally posted by teamsaint View Post
            Well, if the bookies are right, and Boris gets the job, he will then really have to own it. And I don't think he will want to be seen as the man who took us into a disastrously prepared no deal. And he is probably the one person in the party who could deal with the political fall out whatever u turn/delay/change of direction is necessary. So if he can't get a long delay from Brussels for a " managed no deal" ( whatever that looks like) he will probably have to get a mandate through a GE , or do something really dramatic like revoke with a view to a new process, which seems very unlikely.
            Presumably the EU will allow an extension for a GE, which seems to me to be the path of least resistance. But then , he'd have to have another delay up his sleeve for the GE campaign ( wouldn't he?) to avoid a no deal exit within the next few months.
            Another thing that may yet develop is the understanding ( among mainsteam tory MP brexiters and the public) that "no deal" really is a fools paradise, because we would be back negotiating in months, or likely weeks, and the EU will simply slap the WA back on the table. Boris must know this, And he'll have to deal with it.
            Oh, and the Irish border is still there.
            Whoever assumes the reins is going to have to deal with the reality of the capitalist edifice as it now exists - a global structure of enormous power with an ability to break the back of any national economy - a term that has in any case almost become oxymoronic in our time. The ruling classes, that control and benefit from this edifice, being able to move their money from one currency to any other that keeps it secure at the click of a mouse, meaning where labour and natural resources are most cheaply sourced, have only rhetorical resource to the politics of nationalism. In the past the nation state was the foundation on which they governed, regardless of the nominal colour of the party supposedly in elected power; it was the power base from which they launched their sailing ships to India and the Far East, and their ships and jet fighters to maintain regimes that toed the line. Today the nation state is just a plaything for the international marketeers, many with no experience of running wealth creating enterprises and just in it for the gamble. We might just as well start dismantling capitalism by supporting occupations of workplaces threatened with closure and asset stripping, to get them into common ownership, so at least what can be made here has less carbon footprints wasted in being transported all around the world and back again, because for those who say, how can we afford to pay for the imports, and won't this put our trade balance back into the red? - under any far right direction, whether it be Johnson, Farage or Tommy Robinson, or their friends in France, Italy, Austria, Poland or Hungary, etc, the impoverishment of the "domestic" working class, already mortgaged up to the eyeballs, will proceed apace - and there won't be any Polish, Bosnian, Romanian etc immigrants to finger point to and make scapegoats of.

Some people are talking about the basic inadequacy of the economic model for dealing with social division, but mainly climate change. Now's the time to start concretising what the best and most responsible minds who surely must have the ears of governments have had to say now for quite some time: international bodies tasked with upholding human rights, and tackling poverty and ecodestruction. And listening to the voices of Ms Thunberg and the movement of the young gathering force and soon to be in our universities. The tories and right in general are thoroughly discredited by the record of their adherence to neoliberal socioeconomics, and are now using nationalism as a rhetorical gesture without substance or implementability - they, or their fragmenting vestiges, will have to be swept out to make way for those with sustainable needs-based prioritised production in mind to the forefront and an inclusive approach that sees people for what all have to offer, and as part of the web of life nature has come up with. This implies learing from the best of what the radical left traditions have taught us, from the Levellers by way of Ghandi to now, and linking that up with Green sustainable policies that use new technology not for rationalising the accumulation of capital in property, but bettering the conditions of life, health, and safeguarding the ecosphere, on which all depend, now and ultimately.

Comment

• Joseph K
              Banned
              • Oct 2017

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
              Whoever assumes the reins is going to have to deal with the reality of the capitalist edifice as it now exists - a global structure of enormous power with an ability to break the back of any national economy - a term that has in any case almost become oxymoronic in our time. The ruling classes, that control and benefit from this edifice, being able to move their money from one currency to any other that keeps it secure, meaning where labour and natural resources are most cheaply sourced, have only rhetorical resource to the politics of nationalism. In the past the nation state was the foundation on which they governed, regardless of the nominal colour of the party supposedly in elected power; it was the power base from which they launched their sailing ships to India and the Far East, and their ships and jet fighters to maintain regimes that toed the line. Today the nation state is just a plaything for the international marketeers, many with no experience of running wealth creating enterprises and just in it for the gamble. We might just as well start dismantling capitalism by supporting occupations of workplaces threatened with closure and asset stripping, to get them into common ownership, so at least what can be made here has less carbon footprints wasted in being transported all around the world and back again, because for those who say, how can we afford to pay for the imports, and won't this put our trade balance back into the red? - under any far right direction, whether it be Johnson, Farage or Tommy Robinson, or their friends in France, Italy, Austria, Poland or Hungary, etc, the impoverishment of the "domestic" working class, already mortgaged up to the eyeballs, will proceed apace - and there won't be any Polish, Bosnian, Romanian etc immigrants to finger point to and make scapegoats of.

Some people are talking about the basic inadequacy of the economic model for dealing with social division, but mainly climate change. Now's the time to start concretising what the best and most responsible minds who surely must have the ears of governments have had to say now for quite some time: international bodies tasked with upholding human rights, and tackling poverty and ecodestruction. And listening to the voices of Ms Thunberg and the movement of the young gathering force and soon to be in our universities. The tories and right in general are thoroughly discredited by the record of their adherence to neoliberal socioeconomics, and are now using nationalism as a rhetorical gesture without substance or implementability - they, or their fragmenting vestiges, will have to be swept out to make way for those with sustainable needs-based prioritised production in mind to the forefront and an inclusive approach that sees people for what all have to offer, and as part of the web of life nature has come up with. This implies learing from the best of what the radical left traditions have taught us, from the Levellers by way of Ghandi to now, and linking that up with Green sustainable policies that use new technology not for rationalising the accumulation of capital in property, but bettering the conditions of life, health, and safeguarding the ecosphere, on which all depend, now and ultimately.
              A very good post full of insight and rhetorical aplomb.

Comment

• eighthobstruction
                • Nov 2010

....just like the 6' that Stephen PoliaKOFF places between characters/context and blaa....what is it with the Govt always placing 7days/10days/14days between ever action that they take/ intend to take/hope to take/hope to intend that they take....my garden shed would still be at the timber merchants at that rate [where in fact it has been hoped for/designed/purchased/built - didn't even bother mentioning to the DUP]....
                bong ching

Comment

• eighthobstruction
                  • Nov 2010

Whoever assumes the reins is going to have to deal with the reality of the capitalist edifice as it now exists - a global structure of enormous power with an ability to break the back of any national economy - a term that has in any case almost become oxymoronic in our time. The ruling classes, that control and benefit from this edifice, being able to move their money from one currency to any other that keeps it secure at the click of a mouse, meaning where labour and natural resources are most cheaply sourced, have only rhetorical resource to the politics of nationalism. In the past the nation state was the foundation on which they governed, regardless of the nominal colour of the party supposedly in elected power; it was the power base from which they launched their sailing ships to India and the Far East, and their ships and jet fighters to maintain regimes that toed the line. Today the nation state is just a plaything for the international marketeers, many with no experience of running wealth creating enterprises and just in it for the gamble. We might just as well start dismantling capitalism by supporting occupations of workplaces threatened with closure and asset stripping, to get them into common ownership, so at least what can be made here has less carbon footprints wasted in being transported all around the world and back again, because for those who say, how can we afford to pay for the imports, and won't this put our trade balance back into the red? - under any far right direction, whether it be Johnson, Farage or Tommy Robinson, or their friends in France, Italy, Austria, Poland or Hungary, etc, the impoverishment of the "domestic" working class, already mortgaged up to the eyeballs, will proceed apace - and there won't be any Polish, Bosnian, Romanian etc immigrants to finger point to and make scapegoats of.

....we'll work it out mate, because most of us Brits are FAB....
                  bong ching

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                    • Dec 2010

Originally posted by eighthobstruction View Post
                    ....we'll work it out mate, because most of us Brits are FAB....

I have to make the most of being on a roll today, eighth - following 3 days of (NHS) drug side effects, thanking whoever I have a flushing toilet, result of living in an advanced civilisation. Days like this don't come so often, these days.

Comment

• eighthobstruction
                      • Nov 2010

I have to make the most of being on a roll today, eighth - following 3 days of (NHS) drug side effects, thanking whoever I have a flushing toilet, result of living in an advanced civilisation. Days like this don't come so often, these days.

....well I think you should set up a shrine to Thomas Crapper and give darshan seva to Twyford Trent [plenty of incense (if you haven't got any heat up some shoe polish)]....a good weekend of meditating on the toilet should see you fine until these drugs have worn offf.....only for you to wake up and find out that the Zombie Govt and PM have risen again and are....blaa blaa....
                      bong ching

Comment

• DracoM
                        Host
                        • Mar 2007

Well, oop 'ere, lad, given the chilly westerly even with bright sun in it, I ain't casting a clowt!

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                          • Dec 2010

Originally posted by eighthobstruction View Post
                          ....well I think you should set up a shrine to Thomas Crapper and give darshan seva to Twyford Trent [plenty of incense (if you haven't got any heat up some shoe polish)]....a good weekend of meditating on the toilet should see you fine until these drugs have worn offf.....only for you to wake up and find out that the Zombie Govt and PM have risen again and are....blaa blaa....
                          Both my loo and handbasin were manufactured in honour of John Coltrane, having the word "Impressions" imprinted on them. Whenever I flush, I always do so with pride.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                            • Dec 2010

It bucketted down here, just now, sending the neighbour's tabby cat rushing in here nearly drownded. I hope the woman on the checkout this afternoon thought I was just predicting a couple of hours ahead when I told her it would remain dry!

Comment

• french frank
                              Administrator/Moderator
                              • Feb 2007

I hope the woman on the checkout this afternoon thought I was just predicting a couple of hours ahead when I told her it would remain dry!
                              So you do weather-forecasting professionally, then, do you?
                              It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

Working...
                              X