Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Belgrove
    • Nov 2010

It's been a superb summer of international cricket. The drama and general high quality of play in the World Cup and that outrageously entertaining final; Leach making his Test debut in the Ireland match, where he showed his mettle for occupying the crease; the inclusion of Archer in the England squad; and then The Ashes. It was a curious series in the end, both teams showing great bowling and poor batting, with a notable exception. Thinking caps will have to be donned across the world's Test playing nations to figure how to get Smith out. But it also featured the most remarkable innings I've seen, or could have imagined. That performance at Headingley by Stokes (with Leach playing a significant role too) will go down in the history of the game.

England should not be too complacent about getting a draw from the series, and need to commence planning for the next Ashes encounter now. The experiment of using a one-day opener in the Test arena was worth a punt, but failed and should not be revisited. The problem with the openers got a useful sticking plaster fix at The Oval, but it's a deep seated problem that the fractured Championship structure will not improve upon. Denly is the same age as Alistair Cook when he retired, so he cannot be considered seriously as being around in a couple of years. Archer is an important addition around which a pacy attack should be built now that Anderson is winding down. Pace is needed down-under. Root's captaincy is inadequate, he does not ginger things up enough when the advantage starts to drift. A seminar with the likes of Vaughn and that brilliant psychologist Brearley (who could psych out the opposition from a position of weakness) might be an afternoon well spent.

Now that the elegant, urbane, sane (and never boring) David Gower has left Sky, TMS should snap him up. It would be a crime to waste his wisdom and wit.

But it's been a great summer of cricket I won't forget.

Comment

• DracoM
      Host
      • Mar 2007

For me, the biggest find this season has been Leach. He has been a genuine trusted addition to the strategic armoury of an England captain.

Fast bowlers eg Archer come and go and are standard part of the mix, but of late England has had trouble with serious spin. Leach has brought guile, resource and thus tactical development to a captain's thinking.

Comment

• eighthobstruction
        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by DracoM View Post
        For me, the biggest find this season has been Leach. He has been a genuine trusted addition to the strategic armoury of an England captain.

Fast bowlers eg Archer come and go and are standard part of the mix, but of late England has had trouble with serious spin. Leach has brought guile, resource and thus tactical development to a captain's thinking.
        ....yes and at odd times Roots simple leg spin....shame that Leach would have to worry about his fingers if he meant to advance at all in his batting....

Ed....Just looking at utube ref Root and Butler batting mastrerclasses [seems like giving ever adversarial bowler a large clue as to approach]....https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6XoLMcWu6jg
        bong ching

Comment

• antongould
          • Nov 2010

Alastair Cook soon to be on on Essential Classics ..... very hard to be more excited ........

Comment

• DracoM
            Host
            • Mar 2007

This month's 'Cricketer' mag has some incendiary stuff about who governs and runs cricket inside and out.

Comment

• antongould
              • Nov 2010

My worry for our Test Team is that we seem to have no batsmen in their early twenties ....... Just before he War we had Hutton and Compton and then on through May and Cowdrey then Boycott, Gooch, Gower and Atherton. Latterly Cook and Root, and many more I’m sure to have missed. But now there seems no one in view ......

Comment

• DracoM
                Host
                • Mar 2007

But Bairstow dropped..............amd amazed!!!

Comment

• antongould
                  • Nov 2010

Originally posted by DracoM View Post
                  But Bairstow dropped..............amd amazed!!!

What if he played for Middlesex and/or Surrey ...... ??????

Comment

• DracoM
                    Host
                    • Mar 2007

You might say that, I couldn't possibly comment...........ahem!!

Comment

• eighthobstruction
                      • Nov 2010

....I think England would do well to promote Nadiya Hussain and Sue Perkins up the order and bring Holliday Grainger in to open.....
                      bong ching

Comment

• muzzer
                        • Nov 2013

Somehow in the space of 18 months England has managed to wreck most of its top order, almost entirely of its own making.

Comment

Working...
                        X