• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • DracoM
    Host
    • Mar 2007

Let's hope so!!
    Colossal grab for cash by ECB without any developed sense of what it will do to English RED ball cricket - ahem - like the Ashes, and ahem - like the astonishing kind of red ball we have just seen.

Comment

• muzzer
      • Nov 2013

5 1/2 hours Stokes batted, most of which was before he let rip. What stamina! Nearly all England’s issues are still there but he’s turned the series almost singlehandedly. Just like Botham in ‘81. Bravo!!

Comment

• teamsaint
        • Nov 2010

Watched the last hour or two on BBC score updates on the website sitting on a beach in France, and listened to the last few overs being driven down the Normandy coast, with Mont St Michel visible in the distance.
        It’ll be an odd way to remember one of the great cricket moments, but not one to forget in a hurry.

For all that I don’t love about present day cricket, the great game can still deliver incomparable sporting moments.

Even two of my my car companions, my sister and brother in law, who wouldn’t know an inswinging yorker from a yorkshire pudding , were captivated.
        Magic.
        Last edited by teamsaint; 25-08-19, 23:03.
        I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

• gradus
          • Nov 2010

Baron Stokes of Headingly.

Comment

• DracoM
            Host
            • Mar 2007

erm.............caution, pedant at work: HEADINGLEY

Comment

• LezLee
              • Apr 2019

I remember many years ago, listening to a VERY important match between England and South Africa played in Johannesburg. The result hinged on the very last over and we were driving to my sister's house. It finished just before we got there and my sis, nephew and niece were all waiting at the door, shouting "Don't tell us, don't tell us" as they hadn't heard the result and were waiting for the replay. So hard, composing our expressions! My nephew doesn't even like cricket.

Comment

• antongould
                • Nov 2010

Originally posted by LezLee View Post
                I remember many years ago, listening to a VERY important match between England and South Africa played in Johannesburg. The result hinged on the very last over and we were driving to my sister's house. It finished just before we got there and my sis, nephew and niece were all waiting at the door, shouting "Don't tell us, don't tell us" as they hadn't heard the result and were waiting for the replay. So hard, composing our expressions! My nephew doesn't even like cricket.

Perhaps a bit far back but in 1948 there was the famous, decided on the last ball, Test in South Africa that proved to be the birth of the saying “Cometh the hour cometh the man” ......

Comment

• DracoM
                  Host
                  • Mar 2007

Same evening as the Stokesiad, Notts bt Yorks off the very last ball of a T20 by ONE run.
                  And the ECB think cricket is doomed?

I think not.

Comment

• cloughie
                    • Dec 2011

Originally posted by DracoM View Post
                    Same evening as the Stokesiad, Notts bt Yorks off the very last ball of a T20 by ONE run.
                    And the ECB think cricket is doomed?

I think not.
                    Did not do a lot for Yorks T20 position!

Comment

• gradus
                      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by DracoM View Post
                      erm.............caution, pedant at work: HEADINGLEY
                      Darn it, I forgot to check.
                      Wish I'd been there to witness it in person although the radio commentary was brilliant and much gratitude to Aggers and all concerned.

Comment

• LezLee
                        • Apr 2019

I bought my husband a waterproof radio so that he could listen to the cricket when he was showering in the morning. More entertaining than the 'Today' programme!

Comment

• muzzer
                          • Nov 2013

Originally posted by gradus View Post
                          Darn it, I forgot to check.
                          Wish I'd been there to witness it in person although the radio commentary was brilliant and much gratitude to Aggers and all concerned.
                          Yes I thought TMS was brilliant yesterday. Really captured the event.

Comment

• teamsaint
                            • Nov 2010

I’m kinda hoping that Jason Roy feels he has a point to prove......
                            I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

• antongould
                              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by teamsaint View Post
                              I’m kinda hoping that Jason Roy feels he has a point to prove......
                              ..... indeed ts and takes a hell of a long time to prove it .....

Comment

• DracoM
                                Host
                                • Mar 2007

And gets out with EXACTLY the same basic technical error that has been hugely commented on in all press / TV / radio coverage.
                                FGS.........!! How much longer do the selectors persevere?

Comment

Working...
                                X