Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Ein Heldenleben
    • Apr 2014

The Eurovision Song Contest is a pathetic irrelevance . British (and Irish) pop and rock musicians are by both artistic and financial yardsticks the (second) most successful in the world.

Comment

• LMcD
      • Sep 2017

Originally posted by cloughie View Post
      Was there really going to be any other outcome - an awful song, badly sung and most of Europe not really been very keen on the UK - the ‘perfect storm’ (not my favourite cliche but probably OK for this purpose) for a big 0.
      This would never have happened in Churchill's day!

Comment

• cloughie
        • Dec 2011

Originally posted by Heldenleben View Post
        The Eurovision Song Contest is a pathetic irrelevance . British (and Irish) pop and rock musicians are by both artistic and financial yardsticks the (second) most successful in the world.
        ...and no half-decent act would put their street cred and reputation with the pop cognoscenti on the line. So it’s ‘Come all you no hopers...’

Comment

• LMcD
          • Sep 2017

Finland has come last 9 times, so we still have something to aim at. Since 2000 the UK has ended the contest in one of the last three positions on 10 separate occasions. Perhaps Lord Hall could be persuaded to head an inquiry into our lamentable fall from Eurovision grace.

Comment

• cloughie
            • Dec 2011

Originally posted by LMcD View Post
            Finland has come last 9 times, so we still have something to aim at. Since 2000 the UK has ended the contest in one of the last three positions on 10 separate occasions. Perhaps Lord Hall could be persuaded to head an inquiry into our lamentable fall from Eurovision grace.
            What a complete waste of readies! Let’s just continue as we are and try to amass a number of the ‘coveted pointless trophies’. Amazingly it was only the 2nd time we have done it! We are 2 behind Norway (who retain the distinction of being last more times than any other) and Austria.

Comment

• LHC
              • Jan 2011

Was there really going to be any other outcome - an awful song, badly sung and most of Europe not really been very keen on the UK - the ‘perfect storm’ (not my favourite cliche but probably OK for this purpose) for a big 0.
              I don't think our popularity or otherwise really comes into it at all. Germany only scored 3 points, and there were three other countries as well as the UK who scored 0 in the popular vote. It was, by all accounts, a terrible song and poorly performed, so not really a surprise that no one voted for it.

The way the contest appears to work now, the songs need to really stand out, either because they are a novelty, or are very professionally performed and presented. In either case, they also need to have very high production values. For a long time now, the UK's entries have been mediocre, and have been performed by unknown performers who quickly sink back to well-deserved obscurity. They are simply amateurish in comparison with the songs put forward by most other countries. In the circumstances, its hardly a surprise that they do so badly year after year.
              "I do not approve of anything that tampers with natural ignorance. Ignorance is like a delicate exotic fruit; touch it and the bloom is gone. The whole theory of modern education is radically unsound. Fortunately in England, at any rate, education produces no effect whatsoever. If it did, it would prove a serious danger to the upper classes, and probably lead to acts of violence in Grosvenor Square."
              Lady Bracknell The importance of Being Earnest

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                Host
                • Nov 2010

it was only the 2nd time we have done it! We are 2 behind Norway (who retain the distinction of being last more times than any other).
                Finland has come last 9 times, so we still have something to aim at.
                "...the isle is full of noises,
                Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
                Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
                Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• Petrushka
                  • Nov 2010

Norway and Austria have scored nil points on four occasions with Norway holding the record for coming last most times (11) so the mention of Finland is incorrect. See the links below, nicely updated too!

"Nul Points" is considered to be the most famous phenomenon of the Eurovision Song Contest. The term refers to an entry (or entries) that fails to earn a single point. It is often preceded by the words "the dreaded", as it is the one score that every country is determined to avoid getting. To date, there have been 41 victims of the score of "Nul Points", with 4 entries failing to get a single point in the semi-finals and 37 in the grand final. 18 other entries got zero points on one half of the

https://eurovision.tv/country/norway...04%20occasions.
                  Last edited by Petrushka; 23-05-21, 13:47.
                  "The sound is the handwriting of the conductor" - Bernard Haitink

Comment

• LMcD
                    • Sep 2017

Originally posted by Petrushka View Post
                    Norway and Austria have scored nil points on four occasions with Norway holding the record for coming last most times (11) so the mention of Finland is incorrect. See the links below, nicely updated too!

"Nul Points" is considered to be the most famous phenomenon of the Eurovision Song Contest. The term refers to an entry (or entries) that fails to earn a single point. It is often preceded by the words "the dreaded", as it is the one score that every country is determined to avoid getting. To date, there have been 41 victims of the score of "Nul Points", with 4 entries failing to get a single point in the semi-finals and 37 in the grand final. 18 other entries got zero points on one half of the

https://eurovision.tv/country/norway...04%20occasions.
                    I can't remember where I found the article which said '9' - 11 is indeed the correct figure - thank you!

Comment

• cloughie
                      • Dec 2011

I can't remember where I found the article which said '9' - 11 is indeed the correct figure - thank you!
                      I think the ‘I can see your voice’ is an unofficial platform for the bad singers to be auditioned for next year’s Eurovision.

Comment

Working...
                      X