Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • oddoneout
    • Nov 2015

I was once on a London bus and I heard a guy asking someone to order a ticket over a phone to someone else who i assumed was going to do the booking - might have been an airline ticket. He shouted out all his credit card details, plus just about everything else one would need to order stuff off his account!
    Evidently misunderstood that advert on TV about data sharing(the chap in the tube one)!
    The gift shop at work sometimes gives wonderful examples of people's blase attitudes to such matters. On one occasion a PIN was yelled across the shop for a purchase. My colleague, whose patience has already been sorely tried by the person concerned refused to proceed on the grounds that she knew that the card owner wasn't the person making the purchase on that card. After much harrumphing and low level abuse the card owner did the transaction herself, but couldn't seem to get it into her head that if she wanted to do something wrong that was her problem but we weren't prepared to collude.
    On another occasion a girl came in with her membership pass and then wanted to pay for an additional person using a card with a different name which, when asked, she happily admitted was her mother's, and no her mother wasn't there - 'but she lets me use her card 'cos I can't afford things'. This I suppose is the logical(!) conclusion of the move to cards instead of cash; if you would lend/give cash to someone for a purchase then providing the wherewithal to use a card for the same purpose is seen as no different.
    What annoys me about such incidents is that when things go wrong the expectation is that 'they' will fix it, which ultimately means that those of us who don't indulge in such practices end up paying for those who do. There is a world of difference in terms of entitlement to redress in my book between those who knowingly/willingly invite fraud on their accounts and those who are unwittingly conned by slick scams.

Comment

• Dave2002
      • Dec 2010

Originally posted by french frank View Post
      Careless rather than trusting, then . For daughter, substitute deeply criminal , rather than silly
      Yes - though I couldn't accuse them - only having suspicions, not evidence, added to which I did not engage with them.

Comment

• LezLee
        • Apr 2019

Many years ago I was in my bank and had just used the ATM when an elderly lady approached me and handed me her bank card and a piece of paper with a number on it. She said she couldn't see to read the ATM keypad or the number on the paper and could I do it for her! Horrified, I told her she really mustn't approach strangers with personal details and took her to the separate bank counter. Then came an interrogation by the assistant - was I related to this lady? How did I know her? Had I asked her for her bank details? The implication being I was up to no good. Having explained exactly what happened I left my name, address and phone number and managed to escape. Really scary. I could only hope they sorted her out.

Comment

• pastoralguy
          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by oddoneout View Post
          Evidently misunderstood that advert on TV about data sharing(the chap in the tube one)!
          The gift shop at work sometimes gives wonderful examples of people's blase attitudes to such matters. On one occasion a PIN was yelled across the shop for a purchase. My colleague, whose patience has already been sorely tried by the person concerned refused to proceed on the grounds that she knew that the card owner wasn't the person making the purchase on that card. After much harrumphing and low level abuse the card owner did the transaction herself, but couldn't seem to get it into her head that if she wanted to do something wrong that was her problem but we weren't prepared to collude.
          On another occasion a girl came in with her membership pass and then wanted to pay for an additional person using a card with a different name which, when asked, she happily admitted was her mother's, and no her mother wasn't there - 'but she lets me use her card 'cos I can't afford things'. This I suppose is the logical(!) conclusion of the move to cards instead of cash; if you would lend/give cash to someone for a purchase then providing the wherewithal to use a card for the same purpose is seen as no different.
          What annoys me about such incidents is that when things go wrong the expectation is that 'they' will fix it, which ultimately means that those of us who don't indulge in such practices end up paying for those who do. There is a world of difference in terms of entitlement to redress in my book between those who knowingly/willingly invite fraud on their accounts and those who are unwittingly conned by slick scams.
          One of the most appalling incidents that happened to me was that, as my mother lay dying, my 'sister' filched £14k from her bank account. Since my mother was too infirm to use her card she had entrusted the PIN to her. She went on a spree.
          She even used her overdraft facility when the money ran out.

To say the atmosphere at my mother's funeral was strained would be an understatement!

Comment

• MrGongGong
            • Nov 2010

My family can be a bit sh*t as well
            Which is why I like to choose my friends

some are on FB .....................some are not

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
              Host
              • Nov 2010

I asked MrGG to be my Facebook friend several years ago. It’s still “pending”.

Comment

• MrGongGong
                • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Eine Alpensinfonie View Post
                I asked MrGG to be my Facebook friend several years ago. It’s still “pending”.
                aaah which of the oddballs was you ?
                I get lots of odd requests

Comment

• pastoralguy
                  • Nov 2010

Many years ago, before I got my own home internet account, I used my local Internet cafe. On this occasion, the cafe was really busy and I had to wait for a slot and after one eventually became free the guy before me, who hadn't logged out of his account, yelled abuse at the young woman who was in charge. And so I took great delight in ordering a book on manners I could from his Amazon account!

I only did so in the knowledge he could return the book but I suspect he probably just returned it.

Comment

• LezLee
                    • Apr 2019

Originally posted by pastoralguy View Post
                    Many years ago, before I got my own home internet account, I used my local Internet cafe. On this occasion, the cafe was really busy and I had to wait for a slot and after one eventually became free the guy before me, who hadn't logged out of his account, yelled abuse at the young woman who was in charge. And so I took great delight in ordering a book on manners I could from his Amazon account!

I only did so in the knowledge he could return the book but I suspect he probably just returned it.
                    Wow! What enormous fun! Well done.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                      • Dec 2010

Originally posted by pastoralguy View Post
                      One of the most appalling incidents that happened to me was that, as my mother lay dying, my 'sister' filched £14k from her bank account. Since my mother was too infirm to use her card she had entrusted the PIN to her. She went on a spree.
                      She even used her overdraft facility when the money ran out.

To say the atmosphere at my mother's funeral was strained would be an understatement!
                      It sometimes makes me wonder if us humans are descended from vultures.

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
                        Host
                        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by MrGongGong View Post
                        aaah which of the oddballs was you ?
                        I get lots of odd requests
                        . It was a bit of a giveaway at the time, as I was using my Matterhorn avatar.

Comment

Working...
                        X