Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • kernelbogey
    • Nov 2010

When I corrected my builder for referring to my male cat as 'she', he replied nonchalantly 'Oh, cats are always "she"'.

Comment

• vinteuil
      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by kernelbogey View Post
      When I corrected my builder for referring to my male cat as 'she', he replied nonchalantly 'Oh, cats are always "she"'.
      ... indeed so - just as all dogs are "he".

Comment

• Richard Tarleton

In Spanish, small, or open, boats are feminine (barca: embarcación pequeña), and larger vessels, for carrying people, animals or cargo, are masculine (barco:Vehículo flotante destinado al transporte de personas, animales o cosas). Warship: barco de guerra (m).

But my late father who served in all sorts of ships in the RN would have been horrified.....

Comment

• kernelbogey
          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Richard Tarleton View Post
          In Spanish, small, or open, boats are feminine (barca: embarcación pequeña), and larger vessels, for carrying people, animals or cargo, are masculine (barco:Vehículo flotante destinado al transporte de personas, animales o cosas). Warship: barco de guerra (m).

But my late father who served in all sorts of ships in the RN would have been horrified.....
          This prompts the possibility of writing the almost-too-unfashionable-to-be-admitted thought that perhaps boats and ships (in less particular days) were deemed feminine on the grounds that they were to be loved and cossetted.....

Comment

• french frank
            Administrator/Moderator
            • Feb 2007

Originally posted by kernelbogey View Post
            on the grounds that they were to be loved and cossetted.....
            Why, necessarily? It might simply suggest a close relationship between boat and sailor … oh, …

Originally posted by Beresford View Post
            I was always intrigued by shipbuilders always calling their vessel a boat, even when it was the size of an aircraft carrier, but the Royal Navy always referred to it as a ship.
            I heard differently from my father who served in the RNVR during the war: naval vessels, however large, were usually boats (in the way that violins are fiddles) for those for whom they were an everyday part of life.
            It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• vinteuil
              • Nov 2010

"'A boat is what you get into when the ship sinks."

Tho' I understand that submarines are always boats - as are Patrol Boats, Motor Torpedo Boats (MTBs), and Motor Gun Boats (MGBs)

Last edited by vinteuil; 07-05-19, 14:35.

Comment

• Padraig
                • Feb 2013

FWIW - it is normal where I live to refer to boats, cars, tractors and other objects as 'she'.

As for ships, "God bless all who sail in her."

I also remember (vaguely) from The Grapes of Wrath a scene where Tom Joad and friends were waiting hungrily for a rabbit to cook over a spit: 'Jesus! Look at her sizzle!' A catchphrase I often used thereafter.

It's a feminine world!

Comment

• french frank
                  Administrator/Moderator
                  • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Padraig View Post
                  waiting hungrily for a rabbit to cook over a spit: Jesus! Look at her sizzle!' [ ... ]

It's a feminine world!
                  It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• Padraig
                    • Feb 2013

A classic gaffe, f f. Please feel sorry for me.

Comment

• french frank
                      Administrator/Moderator
                      • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Padraig View Post
                      A classic gaffe, f f. Please feel sorry for me.

Comment

Working...
                      X