Clear All
  • LezLee
    • Apr 2019

Comment

• french frank
      Administrator/Moderator
      • Feb 2007

Originally posted by LezLee View Post
      Never heard of lots of them and as an ex-librarian I can't cope with the first letter only order! Strictly speaking, 'van Beethoven is correct, though often catalogued as 'Beethoven, Ludwig van (von). Daphne du Maurier, for instance, is shelved and catalogued under 'du'.
      I incline towards M. Vinteuil's opinion here, having, for a number of years - to eke out a small pension - prepared the indexes (Names and Subjects) for the annual Year's Work in Modern Language Studies. The duc de La Rochefoucauld is listed as La Rochefoucauld (duc de). The principle is for names to be listed where people will expect to find them. Thus, the subjects are referred to as La Rochefoucauld, du Maurier and Beethoven, and they appear under L, D and B respectively. Charles de Gaulle is referred to as De Gaulle (D), whereas François de La Rochefoucauld, as stated above, is La Rochefoucauld (L rather than D or R).
      It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• LezLee
        • Apr 2019

Libraries, while sticking to 'the rules' do have 'see also' references to cover all possibilites.

Comment

• french frank
          Administrator/Moderator
          • Feb 2007

Libraries, while sticking to 'the rules' do have 'see also' references to cover all possibilites.
          So: de La Rochefoucauld, duc: see also La Rochefoucauld, de; Rochefoucauld, de La; Foucauld, de La Roche; Cauld, de La Roche Fou ?
          It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• MrGongGong
            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
            What a surprise. No Shostakovich, nor Feldman, come to that.
            "Step away from the bullshit"

Comment

• LezLee
              • Apr 2019

Originally posted by french frank View Post
              So: de La Rochefoucauld, duc: see also La Rochefoucauld, de; Rochefoucauld, de La; Foucauld, de La Roche; Cauld, de La Roche Fou ?

Depends who's doing the cataloguing. My friend and I liked to subvert the process occasionally......

Comment

• vinteuil
                • Nov 2010

Originally posted by french frank View Post
                The principle is for names to be listed where people will expect to find them. Thus, the subjects are referred to as La Rochefoucauld, du Maurier and Beethoven, and they appear under L, D and B respectively. Charles de Gaulle is referred to as De Gaulle (D), whereas François de La Rochefoucauld, as stated above, is La Rochefoucauld (L rather than D or R).
                ... and of course Molière under P and Stendhal under B.

Comment

• Pulcinella
                  Host
                  • Feb 2014

But is Peter Maxwell Davies an M or a D?
                  I've just seen that Wiki refer to him as Davies and Presto list him under Davies too.

Horrors: I'm going to have to re-order my CD collection, as I've filed him under M.

Comment

• vinteuil
                    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Pulcinella View Post
                    But is Peter Maxwell Davies an M or a D?
                    I've just seen that Wiki refer to him as Davies and Presto list him under Davies too.

Horrors: I'm going to have to re-order my CD collection, as I've filed him under M.
                    Yep : Peter Maxwell Davies - like Arthur Conan Doyle and John Eliot Gardiner.

Comment

• Pulcinella
                      Host
                      • Feb 2014

Originally posted by vinteuil View Post
                      Yep : Peter Maxwell Davies - like Arthur Conan Doyle and John Eliot Gardiner.

Sorted.
                      Only 5 CDs (though one a 2CD set) to move, and I'd left some expansion room anyway, so it was just a quick shuffle along the shelves job!

Comment

• LezLee
                        • Apr 2019

Originally posted by Pulcinella View Post
                        Sorted.
                        Only 5 CDs (though one a 2CD set) to move, and I'd left some expansion room anyway, so it was just a quick shuffle along the shelves job!
                        But don't forget to leave Vaughan Williams where he is!

Comment

• LeMartinPecheur
                          • Apr 2007

But don't forget to leave Vaughan Williams where he is!
                          Unfair! Grace would very much like to be in closer contact with her teacher
                          I keep hitting the Escape key, but I'm still here!

Comment

• ahinton
                            • Nov 2010

Where would one place Richard Rodney Bennett?

Comment

• vinteuil
                              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by ahinton View Post
                              Where would one place Richard Rodney Bennett?
                              Bennett :

Comment

• Richard Barrett
                                • Jan 2016

Regarding vans:

something I gradually came to realise during my years living in the low countries was the Netherlands and Belgium have different rules as far as this is concerned. A Dutch "van" has a small "v" and doesn't come before the main part of the name in alphabetical order, while a Flemish "Van" has a capital "V" and does. So, knowing which of the two styles to use depends really on which side of the border the person in question comes from.

Beethoven's family stemmed from Flanders so "Van" would theoretically be correct, although in German "von" (which is an indicator of upper-classness in a way that "van" and "Van" aren't) doesn't use a capital letter and comes after the name in alphabetical order, so for that reason the capital "V" probably got worn down at some point in Beethoven's ancestry.

All clear now?

Regarding string quartets I wasn't surprised not to find my own three listed, but it seems I'm in good (and numerous) company. As MrGG says, nothing to see here.

Comment

Working...
                                X