• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Sydney Grew
    Banned
    • Mar 2007

Six hundred string quartets for you

As foreshadowed, I have been making a list of available string quartets, mainly from Youtube. The period chosen is between 1820 and (approximately) 1980. There are currently 223 composers in the collection, and 613 string quartets. This means that for 613 days it will be possible for you to study and enjoy one new quartet daily. Should one devote - as one should - at least three hearings to each quartet, this will pleasantly occupy you for around 1800 days.

The collection consists only of those works that I find interesting, and has attracted little attention so far. There are plenty more; please add them if you feel inclined.
  • Bryn
    Banned
    • Mar 2007

What a surprise. No Shostakovich, nor Feldman, come to that.

Comment

• Stanfordian
      • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Sydney Grew View Post
      As foreshadowed, I have been making a list of available string quartets, mainly from Youtube. The period chosen is between 1820 and (approximately) 1980. There are currently 223 composers in the collection, and 613 string quartets. This means that for 613 days it will be possible for you to study and enjoy one new quartet daily. Should one devote - as one should - at least three hearings to each quartet, this will pleasantly occupy you for around 1800 days.

The collection consists only of those works that I find interesting, and has attracted little attention so far. There are plenty more; please add them if you feel inclined.
      But April 1st has gone!

Comment

• Pulcinella
        Host
        • Feb 2014

Originally posted by Sydney Grew View Post

Rita seems to have been quite active, though.
        My retirement plans to listen to my CD opera collection, following the librettos, have come to nought, so I fear that trying to discipline myself to listen to a new SQ every day would similarly fail, but this does seem a terrific resource, and as such it deserves our thanks.

Comment

• LeMartinPecheur
          • Apr 2007

In case you've been worried, Beethoven is there but under V - presumably to keep Bernard van Dieren company!
          I keep hitting the Escape key, but I'm still here!

Comment

• Dave2002
            • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
            Perhaps if you register for the site you could “rectify” that.

Comment

• ahinton
              • Nov 2010

The absence of Shostakovich is incredible - but then placing Beethoven under v for van is equally incomprehensible; that said, there are certainly some interesting ones there, not least the all too rarely performed one by Schmitt (if I'm to select just the one).

Comment

• LezLee
                • Apr 2019

Never heard of lots of them and as an ex-librarian I can't cope with the first letter only order! Strictly speaking, 'van Beethoven is correct, though often catalogued as 'Beethoven, Ludwig van (von). Daphne du Maurier, for instance, is shelved and catalogued under 'du'.

Comment

• vinteuil
                  • Nov 2010

Originally posted by LezLee View Post
                  ... Daphne du Maurier, for instance, is shelved and catalogued under 'du'.
                  ... but François de la Rochefoucauld shd be catalogued under 'la'.

Comment

• LezLee
                    • Apr 2019

Originally posted by vinteuil View Post

No! De la is 'of the' All these are words for 'of the' followed by the family name.

Comment

• LeMartinPecheur
                      • Apr 2007

Never heard of lots of them and as an ex-librarian I can't cope with the first letter only order! Strictly speaking, 'van Beethoven is correct, though often catalogued as 'Beethoven, Ludwig van (von). Daphne du Maurier, for instance, is shelved and catalogued under 'du'.
                      I guess it's down to the vagaries of spoken English: Ludwig is Beethoven but Bernard is Van Dieren.
                      I keep hitting the Escape key, but I'm still here!

Comment

• Bryn
                        Banned
                        • Mar 2007

Originally posted by ahinton View Post
                        The absence of Shostakovich is incredible - but then placing Beethoven under v for van is equally incomprehensible; that said, there are certainly some interesting ones there, not least the all too rarely performed one by Schmitt (if I'm to select just the one).
                        I see nothing "incredible" in such Grewsome exclusion. More like par for the course, as is also the case re. the lack of Feldman. As to the "van", one should bear in mind the Vandemonian connection of the contributor.

Comment

• LezLee
                          • Apr 2019

Yes, I'm only going by the Anglo-American Cataloguing Rules which could well have been superseded since I retired in 1991!

Comment

• ahinton
                            • Nov 2010

I see nothing "incredible" in such Grewsome exclusion. More like par for the course, as is also the case re. the lack of Feldman. As to the "van", one should bear in mind the Vandemonian connection of the contributor.
                            Being par for the course makes it no less incredible, to my mind.

As to the other thing, then

My old man said follow the van
                            And don't delay Dieren on the way.

Apparently.

Comment

• vinteuil
                              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by vinteuil View Post
                              No! De la is 'of the' All these are words for 'of the' followed by the family name.
                              Yes, I'm only going by the Anglo-American Cataloguing Rules which could well have been superseded since I retired in 1991!
                              ... for de la R I was followin' French rules.

Comment

Working...
                              X