X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • LMcD
    • Sep 2017

'The mornin' sun is risin' like a red rubber ball'

Down by the seashore just before 6.00 a.m. - the sun was rising over the North Sea as, almost diametrically opposite, the full moon was setting. Not a bad way to start the day, even if I had to borrow some lyrics from S&G!
    Off to the corner shop in a few minutes to buy my weekly TV and radio guide, aka 'The Times'.
  • kernelbogey
    • Nov 2010

Lovely when that happens. Less easy to see where there are houses, though.

Moon gone, sun well up here now, promising a fine day....

Full moon last night - magnificent!

Comment

• Mal
      • Dec 2016

Red? It's the pollution.

Comment

• LMcD
        • Sep 2017

Originally posted by Mal View Post
        Red? It's the pollution.
        On the Suffolk coast? Shorely some mistake!

Comment

• Mal
          • Dec 2016

"So how do the fires in the Upper Midwest cause the spectacular sunsets? Two reasons: first is that the smoke released by the fires is small."

Has someone been setting fire to fields again?

Local news headlines for Suffolk and Essex, and the surrounding East Anglia areas from the East Anglian Daily Times.

Comment

• LMcD
            • Sep 2017

We like to think we have our own special weather here on the coast. The rain goes down the river and the frost stops up the road in Trimley. Once we've decided how much to charge people to cross the Orwell Bridge and what to call our new local currency, we shall be well on the way to independence.

Comment

• cloughie
              • Dec 2011

Originally posted by LMcD View Post
              We like to think we have our own special weather here on the coast. The rain goes down the river and the frost stops up the road in Trimley. Once we've decided how much to charge people to cross the Orwell Bridge and what to call our new local currency, we shall be well on the way to independence.
              We also have special weather in West Cornwall. I won’t say its all good, but this weekend has been very good. Sometimes we have to settle for what we can get, be it liquid sunshine or horizontal rain, the forecast I’ll quote from Creedance Clearwater’s John Fogerty ‘Looks like we’re in for nasty weather’ but would I trade it for anything else - no because it is all part and parcel of having the good fortune to live here.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                • Dec 2010

Vivid red sunsets and sunrises are a strong possibility over the next couple of days, as Saharan air is carried at high levels on the southerly airstream. The fine desert sand that lends the colour sometimes gets deposited from high-based showers, and can be seen on cars - and expressed in the faces of their owners!

Comment

• oddoneout
                  • Nov 2015

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
                  Vivid red sunsets and sunrises are a strong possibility over the next couple of days, as Saharan air is carried at high levels on the southerly airstream. The fine desert sand that lends the colour sometimes gets deposited from high-based showers, and can be seen on cars - and expressed in the faces of their owners!
                  Oi don't need no showers or forrin muck to get a filthy car...
                  Every morning, in dry windy periods such as currently in force, the dust from the unmade road and the dew overnight do a good imitation of having driven through dozens of muddy puddles.If I want to use the car there has to be a washing of windows ceremony so I can see out - screenwash only does the windscreen, but in any case scratches unless I clear it first. The bodywork can wait for the rain...

Comment

• kernelbogey
                    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by cloughie View Post
                    We also have special weather in West Cornwall. I won’t say its all good, but this weekend has been very good. Sometimes we have to settle for what we can get, be it liquid sunshine or horizontal rain, the forecast I’ll quote from Creedance Clearwater’s John Fogerty ‘Looks like we’re in for nasty weather’ but would I trade it for anything else - no because it is all part and parcel of having the good fortune to live here.
                    My father, who lived in the Falmouth area (where I grew up) used to claim that by the time the forecast was broadcast, any weather predicted for Cornwall had already passed them by!

One of the charms of the Cornish weather IMV is its capacity for rapid, almost minute by minute radical change. (Emmets often disagree about its 'charm'!)

Comment

• cloughie
                      • Dec 2011

Originally posted by kernelbogey View Post
                      My father, who lived in the Falmouth area (where I grew up) used to claim that by the time the forecast was broadcast, any weather predicted for Cornwall had already passed them by!

One of the charms of the Cornish weather IMV is its capacity for rapid, almost minute by minute radical change. (Emmets often disagree about its 'charm'!)
                      Spot on kb, and we are very fortunate to have weather forecasters on BBC Radio Cornwall and Spotlight on BBC TV who provide a really good, usually accurate service.

Comment

• LezLee
                        • Apr 2019

I first went to Cornwall (Fowey) a few years ago. It was the first week in October and I went out for a short walk after the evening meal at about 9.00pm without a coat or cardi and was perfectly warm. I was most impressed!

Comment

• LMcD
                          • Sep 2017

It's beginning to look as though a mutually beneficial trade deal between Suffolk and Cornwall - or at least certain parts of each - might be a better option than Bl**dy Br*xit.
                          Our local TV weather forecasts are pretty accurate, and they take care to remind viewers that things are usually a little different on the coast - or, as cloughie would say - 'charming'.

Comment

• kernelbogey
                            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by LMcD View Post
                            It's beginning to look as though a mutually beneficial trade deal between Suffolk and Cornwall - or at least certain parts of each - might be a better option than Bl**dy Br*xit.
                            Our local TV weather forecasts are pretty accurate, and they take care to remind viewers that things are usually a little different on the coast - or, as cloughie would say - 'charming'.
                            Those 'Sea Interludes' have a lot to answer for when it comes to the reputation of Suffolk's coastal weather!

Comment

• LMcD
                              • Sep 2017

Originally posted by kernelbogey View Post
                              Those 'Sea Interludes' have a lot to answer for when it comes to the reputation of Suffolk's coastal weather!
                              My admiration for the 'Sea Interludes', and indeed for the whole of 'Peter Grimes', is as great as ever, but in recent years I've also come to love Frank Bridge's suite 'The Sea', which I consider at least as evocative as the Britten, and as 'La Mer' come to that (Debussy rather than Charles Trenet in this case).

Comment

Working...
                              X