• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jayne lee wilson
    Banned
    • Jul 2011

INTO THE BLACK HOLE....

​Remarkable images....

The "monster" black hole is three million times the size of Earth.

One hopes (no doubt despairingly) that the Little Englanders of the ERG are paying attention...
    Time to remake the Disney movie, anyway... maybe it could be funded by a UK-Only company with Baker, Rees-Mogg and Francois (he dislikes the cedilla you know..) as MDs.....
  • MrGongGong
    • Nov 2010

Well these images the "sacking" of Scrote and the woodpeckers in our gardern are worth celebrating today

Comment

• jayne lee wilson
      Banned
      • Jul 2011

Originally posted by MrGongGong View Post

Well these images the "sacking" of Scrote and the woodpeckers in our gardern are worth celebrating today
      Woodpeckers? Soundtrack of the Spring (don't get rid of your dead trees or boughs...!)....a certain un-sound-alike Steve Reich work comes to mind....

Comment

• ahinton
        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by jayne lee wilson View Post
        ​Remarkable images....

One hopes (no doubt despairingly) that the Little Englanders of the ERG are paying attention...
        Time to remake the Disney movie, anyway... maybe it could be funded by a UK-Only company with Baker, Rees-Mogg and Francois (he dislikes the cedilla you know..) as MDs.....
        I've often pondered on whether a black hole might be an appropriate place for such people. I didn't know that François dislikes the cedilla but I suppose that I can understand why he might see it as undermining his ERG credentials and, on the rare occasions when I mention him in writing, I always use the cedilla; as to Sheep Rees-Cat, I refrain from comment. But yes, all that aside, remarkable images indeed!

Comment

• ahinton
          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by MrGongGong View Post
          the "sacking" of Scrote
          I hadn't realised that until you mentioned it so I looked it up; I have to admit to wonderment at how he came to be appointed in the first place...

Comment

• eighthobstruction
            • Nov 2010

....are we talking about Roger Scruton??....
            bong ching

Comment

• french frank
              Administrator/Moderator
              • Feb 2007

Originally posted by eighthobstruction View Post
              ....are we talking about Roger Scruton??....
              Who?
              It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• Bryn
                Banned
                • Mar 2007

Originally posted by jayne lee wilson View Post
                ​Remarkable images....

So it's Mark Frank-Oiz then. More like Frank Oik, if you were to ask me. He's the epitome of Harry Enfield's Tory Boy.

Comment

• MrGongGong
                  • Nov 2010

Originally posted by ahinton View Post
                  I hadn't realised that until you mentioned it so I looked it up; I have to admit to wonderment at how he came to be appointed in the first place...
                  Is it because of his encyclopaedic knowldge of music ?
                  Or his great ideas about architecture ?

Though i'm enjoying the new National Anthem

Provided to YouTube by WM UKShe's Lost Control (2007 Remaster) · Joy DivisionUnknown Pleasures℗ 1979, 2007 Warner Music UK LtdEngineer: Chris NagleProducer: ...
                  Last edited by MrGongGong; 10-04-19, 18:04.

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
                    Host
                    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by ahinton View Post
                    I've often pondered on whether a black hole might be an appropriate place for such people. I didn't know that François dislikes the cedilla but I suppose that I can understand why he might see it as undermining his ERG credentials and, on the rare occasions when I mention him in writing, I always use the cedilla; as to Sheep Rees-Cat, I refrain from comment. But yes, all that aside, remarkable images indeed!
                    He obviously wants to pronounce it as Franquar.

Comment

• gradus
                      • Nov 2010

Calling all scientists, how is it possible to get a photograph back from millions of trillions of miles and by what means? I have enough difficulty getting them from my phone to the PC.

Comment

• eighthobstruction
                        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
                        So it's Mark Frank-Oiz then. More like Frank Oik, if you were to ask me. He's the epitome of Harry Enfield's Tory Boy.
                        ....here's a laugh a minute that I watched last night https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episod...s-bruges-group The Bruges Group event in central London on leaving the EU, with Conservative MPs Mark Francois, Andrew Bridgen and Anne Marie Morris,.....no I don't know why I watched it either perhaps "know thy enemy"....

....sorry irony seems to be trumping On Topic here....
                        Last edited by eighthobstruction; 10-04-19, 19:06.
                        bong ching

Comment

• jayne lee wilson
                          Banned
                          • Jul 2011

Originally posted by gradus View Post
                          Calling all scientists, how is it possible to get a photograph back from millions of trillions of miles and by what means? I have enough difficulty getting them from my phone to the PC.
                          Just scroll down the link for more on this....it all starts with 8 linked Event Horizon Radio Telescopes -

Never mind Marvin's brain, this is a planet-sized telescope...! Click on the 2nd image for a quick video-resumé...

Love those shiny towers of hard drives...reminds me of certain listening-room situations...

Grab a look at this later (well after United v Barca of course...my word those superstars have got a lot to live up to now)
                          Film following researchers as they try to take the first-ever picture of a black hole.

Other related features on BBC4 tonight as well....
                          But it is stunning how close the pictures are to the sci-fi images in the movies! Especially that frog-eye spectacular...
                          Last edited by jayne lee wilson; 10-04-19, 19:51.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                            • Dec 2010

Not for the first time does reality follow Hollywood...

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
                              Host
                              • Nov 2010

It was fascinating to see this photograph and to learn a little of ow it was created. But why, oh why, must they spend so much time NOT showing the picture, rather like in contests such as the Leeds Piano Competition or the BBC Young Musician? Do we really want to be treated in this way?

Comment

Working...
                              X