X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • hackneyvi
    • Sep 2024

Great rock and pop albums

Having rediscovered Public Image Limited's "Flowers of Romance" today, I'd like to know what pop/rock/reggae/soul music albums are valued on these boards.

In no particular order, I'd like to nominate:

Flowers of Romance by Public Image Limited
    Revolver by The Beatles
    Hatful of Hollow by the Smiths
    Last edited by Guest; 16-07-11, 18:29.
  • antongould
    • Nov 2010

for me it always was and I guess always will be Bridge Over Troubled Water.

Comment

• MrGongGong
      • Nov 2010

3 essential ones for me would be

Rammstein : Mutter
      Tom Waits: Swordfish Trombones
      Prop: Small Craft Rough Sea

Comment

• Norfolk Born

10CC - How Dare You
        The Beatles - Revolver and Sergeant Pepper
        Dire Straits - Brothers In Arms

Comment

• aka Calum Da Jazbo
          Late member
          • Nov 2010

Planet Waves

Nightfly

Hotel California

The Stranger

Private Dancer

Jarreau

not obvious classic rock and pop but over the decades these have been indispensable accompaniments to times and events ... and i would still rescue the Fagen Nightfly and Jarreau from the burning house ...
          According to the best estimates of astronomers there are at least one hundred billion galaxies in the observable universe.

Comment

• johncorrigan
            • Nov 2010

Records I still come back to that may fit in:
            Kinks - Arthur (or the Decline and Fall of the British Empire)
            Laura Nyro - Christmas and the Beads of Sweat
            Dylan - Love and Theft
            Clash - Sandanista
            Joni - For the Roses
            does 'The Definitive Sound of Atlantic Soul' count? it's a permanent fixture in our car! Loved by all the family - like 'Sweet and Dandy' - best of Toots and the Maytals.
            Oh yeah.....and Graceland!
            Last edited by johncorrigan; 14-07-11, 13:29. Reason: forgot Graceland and loads more no doubt.

Comment

• Thespian

Prince - Purple Rain & Sign o' the times

Comment

• barber olly

Some regulars on my player:

KING CRIMSON IN THE COURT OF THE CRIMSON KING
                MANHATTAN TRANSFER MECCA FOR MODERNS
                PETER SKELLERN ASTAIRE
                BEACH BOYS PET SOUNDS
                CARAVAN IN THE LAND OF GREY AND PINK
                BEATLES REVOLVER
                BEATLES RUBBER SOUL
                BOB DYLAN HIGHWAY 61 REVISITED
                JONI MITCHELL BOTH SIDES NOW
                DONALD FAGEN THE NIGHTFLY
                CLAPTON & MAYALL BLUESBREAKERS
                ROLLING STONES AFTERMATH
                MANFRED MANN FIVE FACES

Comment

• Richard Tarleton

Originally posted by barber olly View Post
                  BOB DYLAN HIGHWAY 61 REVISITED
                  This and a few other Bob Dylan albums are among the very few "rock and pop" albums I still listen to after all these years. The others would include "Bringing it all back home", "Blonde on Blonde" and "Blood on the tracks". Like Anton I'd still give Simon and Garfunkel a spin - and just Simon (Graceland) - like Dylan a genre-transcending artist, among the great singer-songwriters of the 20th century. One more I'd mention for reflective moments is the Grateful Dead's "American Beauty" - "Attics of My Life" is just about perfect when feeling slightly maudlin, after a glass or two.

Comment

• Anna

Gosh, someone has mentioned the Grateful Dead's American Beauty!

For me, without too much thought:

Beatles: Sgt. Pepper
                    Dr. Robert & The Blow Monkeys: Choices
                    The Smiths: Louder Than Bombs
                    Nirvana: Nevermind
                    Moody Blues: Seventh Sojurn
                    Malcolm McClaren: Fans
                    Soft Cell: The Singles
                    Pet Shop Boys: Discography

Comment

• Richard Tarleton

I have to say, when Bob Dylan and the Grateful Dead got together, they made probably the worst album in the history of rock and pop.

Comment

• Lateralthinking1

Hey John, I like it (4th ref!). The problem is in defining rock and pop, isn't it. Here are 50 of mine, all from different artists, in no particular order of preference, and including some dodgy ones (from a conventional critic's point of view). I will come back at some point with another 50 to make it into 100. I'm generally steering clear of world music and jazz selections, as these are topics for the other boards. I could also put in masses of soul, folk and reggae but I haven't done:

Phil Spector - Christmas Album, Love - Forever Changes, The Aerovons - Resurrection, Van Morrison - Astral Weeks, The Beach Boys - Surf's Up, The Beatles - Abbey Road, Nick Drake - Five Leaves Left, Lindisfarne - Nicely Out of Tune, Carole King - Tapestry, Jimmy Cliff and Various Artists - The Harder They Come

Neil Young - Harvest, George Harrison - All Things Must Pass, Marvin Gaye - What's Going On, Randy Newman - Sail Away, Tom Waits - Closing Time, Neu!- Neu!, Bob Dylan - Blood On The Tracks, Renaissance - A Song For All Seasons, Television - Marquee Moon, Dexys Midnight Runners - Searching for the Young Soul Rebels

The Clash - Sandinista, Joy Division - Closer, Teardrop Explodes - Kilimanjaro, Aztec Camera - High Land Hard Rain, The Blue Nile - A Walk Across The Rooftops, The Men They Couldn't Hang - Night of a 1,000 Candles, Prefab Sprout - Steve McQueen, Everything But The Girl - Idlewild, The Pogues - If I Should Fall From Grace With God, Suzanne Vega - Suzanne Vega

Martin Stephenson and the Daintees - Gladsome, Humour and Blue, Mano Negra - Puta's Fever, American Music Club - Engine, Les Negresses Vertes - Mlah, The Stone Roses - The Stone Roses, The Lemonheads - It's a Shame About Ray, Jeff Buckley - Grace, Teenage Fanclub - Songs From Northern Britain, Richie Havens - Grace of the Sun, Pernice Brothers - Discover a Lovelier You

Goldfrapp - Felt Mountain, Kirsty MacColl - Tropical Brainstorm, Johnny Cash - American IV, Joni Mitchell - Travelogue, Jackie Leven - Creatures of Light and Darkness, Stereolab - Margerine Eclipse, Solomon Burke - Don't Give Up On Me, Kate Bush - Aerial, Fleet Foxes - Fleet Foxes, June Tabor - Ashore
                        Last edited by Guest; 15-07-11, 09:58.

Comment

• Anna

Were you there at Alexandra Place? I was. The acoustics weren't great but it was an occasion!

(Oh no, in my excitement, I have edited your post - Think it was "OMG! The Stone Roses. You and me both!". My sincere apologies for this. It really wasn't intended). Lat.

Comment

• Lateralthinking1

This post is free for comments to be added by Anna!!

Comment

• gurnemanz
                              • Nov 2010

Great to compare notes since I am mainly classical-orientated and don't listen to rock stations any more so don't find out what's out there. I'm currently enjoying Massive Attack's Heligoland which my daughter has just copied for me in an attempt to keep me vaguely genned up.

I love all these:

Bob Dylan - Blonde On Blonde (younger then), Time Out Of Mind (older now)
                              Rolling Stones (First LP - theirs and mine)
                              Joni Mitchell - Blue, Court and Spark
                              Richard & Linda Thompson - I Want to See the Bright Lights Tonight
                              Lucinda Williams - "Lucinda Williams", Essence
                              Randy Newman - Sail Away
                              Van Morrison - Moondance
                              Emmylou Harris - Stumble Into Grace
                              Johnny Cash - American III Solitary Man
                              Pogues - If I Should Fall from Grace with God
                              Beatles - Can't decide
                              Velvet Underground and Nico - Andy Warhol
                              Incredible String Band - The Hangman's Beautiful Daughter

Comment

Working...
                              X