X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Roslynmuse
    • Jul 2011

iPlayer cutting out, anyone?

I've been trying to listen to CotW on iPlayer and am getting really hacked off because it keeps cutting out at random places.

Anyone else having similar problems?

It isn't the usual connection problem; it is actually stopping playing the programme and showing a picture of last week's Menotti rather than old Camille!
  • PJPJ
    • Nov 2010

I've tried it out - it did cut out near the start, before the S-S programme itself started. I moved the slider along a bit since when it's been behaving.

Comment

• Roslynmuse
      • Jul 2011

There doesn't appear to be a problem with the content per se - I checked after it cut out first that the whole prog. was on there - it was - but then second time it cut out in a different place. Hope it's not my laptop...

Comment

• ian russell

You mean it stops? This happened to me a few times last week. I had it going again by moving the slider back but the last time I had to resort to Refresh.
        I listen at work, during the day; I put it down to excessive traffic.

Comment

• Russ

I've encountered regularly-spaced cutout occasionally on iPlayer streams. It can be a buffering problem owing to an irregular connection stream. A refresh usually sorts the problem.

Russ

Comment

• Roslynmuse
            • Jul 2011

I've occasionally experienced the sort of cut-out where the click to play icon spins round as if it's treading water. Refresh generally sorts that for me too. Today's problem was quite different, as though the programme had reached its end and the 'try other programmes like this' ad appeared on the screen.

Comment

• Bryn
              Banned
              • Mar 2007

Very strange. The HD Sound stream worked perfectly for this evening's Live in Concert here, but every time I try to access today's Lunchtime Concert via the on demand iPlayer I get between a few seconds and several minutes in, then it cuts out. Not just a stutter or a hiatus, a complete halt.

[There is definitely something very wrong with the on demand facility on the iPlayer for Radio 3 at the moment. I get similar problems with whichever programme I try to access, at the moment.]

Comment

• Roslynmuse
                • Jul 2011

I've just listened to the Peter Sculthorpe String Quartet No 18 broadcast last Friday via iPlayer - no problem, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed for CotW as I attempt it again.

Thanks, Bryn, for the reassurance that it isn't just my problem ATM.

Comment

• Bryn
                  Banned
                  • Mar 2007

I have just spent a frustrating few minutes reporting the problem on the horribly convoluted (as a deterrent?) system over at the BBC site. They really do seem to go out of the way to make it difficult to report problems to them.

Comment

• Mark Sealey
                    • Mar 2007

I regret to say I get failures all the time.

Just as strange was yesterday (July 12) between 4 and 7 pm (BST) the announcers and SR were announcing the time as being 4.30, 5 and 6 when the time was actually 4.37, 5.07 and 6.07 respectively. I was listening live and (I assume) IT was not recorded.
                    --
                    Mark

Comment

• MickyD
                      • Nov 2010

Being rather ignorant about technical matters, I thought my iplayer frequently cut out because I lived abroad; it's reassuring to know that I am not the only one to suffer but no less irritating all the same!

Comment

• Pianorak
                        • Nov 2010

Yesterday I was watching the performance of Falla's Nights in the Gardens of Spain (Sunday's Discovering Music). After about five minutes the video stopped and switched over to a Beethoven Symphony. I tried again and encountered no further problems.
                        My life, each morning when I dress, is four and twenty hours less. (J Richardson)

Comment

• Don Petter

I had iPlayer cutting out several times on Radio 4 Extra (ugh!) around 8pm to 9.30pm last night, which has never happened before. There must have been something funny going on, and it's comforting to know it was them and not me. I even rebooted my PC at one point.

Comment

• Roslynmuse
                            • Jul 2011

It's still playing up this morning. Have contacted the 'helpline' - let's see whether they can sort it out.

Don - I rebooted too!

Comment

• Bryn
                              Banned
                              • Mar 2007

The on demand Radio programmes on the iPlayer are still cutting out after an period of successful play of unpredictable duration (sometimes a few seconds, and sometimes a few minutes). The HD Sound stream appears to be pretty stable at the moment.

[Just tried last Friday's Lunchtime Concert. That played without problem. However, anything from the past couple of days is still failing to run its course.]
                              Last edited by Bryn; 14-07-11, 15:35.

Comment

Working...
                              X