• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Bryn
    Banned
    • Mar 2007

Originally posted by vinteuil View Post
    ... I'm surprised that dampers wd be affected by heavy-handed playing. Hammers perhaps, but surely the dropping-down of the dampers is not affected by any heroics on the keyboard?

I am but the messenger. The bill clearly stated repair to damaged dampers.

Comment

• Dave2002
      • Dec 2010

Originally posted by ardcarp View Post
      Surely...you're not referring to...ah...um....you know....er
      Would I do that?

Comment

• Richard Barrett
        • Jan 2016

Originally posted by MrGongGong View Post
        Nor can i (that took me 5 minutes)
        You haven't been using one of those newfangled "search engines" have you? That's much too high technology for me, it'll never catch on I tell you.

IIRC a violin is destroyed in PMD's Eight Songs for a Mad King; I don't know if it counts but large numbers of highly amplified microphones arte destroyed in diverse imaginative ways in Dick Raaijmakers' Intona, and Philip Corner's Piano Activities is generally interpreted as involving the total destruction of a piano - I took part in a performance of it last year as it happens, I was quite surprised to see how quickly half a dozen people can reduce a piano to a pile of small bits and pieces.

Comment

• MrGongGong
          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Richard Barrett View Post
          You haven't been using one of those newfangled "search engines" have you? That's much too high technology for me, it'll never catch on I tell you.

IIRC a violin is destroyed in PMD's Eight Songs for a Mad King; I don't know if it counts but large numbers of highly amplified microphones arte destroyed in diverse imaginative ways in Dick Raaijmakers' Intona, and Philip Corner's Piano Activities is generally interpreted as involving the total destruction of a piano - I took part in a performance of it last year as it happens, I was quite surprised to see how quickly half a dozen people can reduce a piano to a pile of small bits and pieces.
          I seem to have a different kind of internet to many other folks.
          I've found that I can find things out about stuff I know nothing about using mine......

Not to mention Bill (prof Lo-fi) Thompson and his Burning Harpsichord

I once proposed that the end of a large educational performance based loosely around Symphonie Fantastique would include ALL the tambourines in all the schools in Lambeth collected together and thrown into a skip on the ballroom of the RFH which would then be sent to landfill. Music of hell that creates space for more imaginative instruments in schools..... they didn't buy it the first time BUT I'm up for another go

Comment

• ardcarp
            Late member
            • Nov 2010

I was quite surprised to see how quickly half a dozen people can reduce a piano to a pile of small bits and pieces.
            In the 60s, piano smashing competitions (of a non-musically creative sense) were quite the thing. I think the idea was to be the first team to pass all the debris through a hole of fixed diameter in order to win. Many tut-tutted about the destruction of musical instruments, but I guess most of the 'victims' were old wooden-frame things from the local pub/school/church-hall that were pretty hopeless anyway. I wouldn't fancy smashing up a piano with a cast-iron frame...at least not without helmet,goggles, steel-capped boots and probably a bullet-proof vest. I don't intend trying...not even in the cause of great art.

Comment

• MrGongGong
              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by ardcarp View Post
              In the 60s, piano smashing competitions (of a non-musically creative sense) were quite the thing. I think the idea was to be the first team to pass all the debris through a hole of fixed diameter in order to win. Many tut-tutted about the destruction of musical instruments, but I guess most of the 'victims' were old wooden-frame things from the local pub/school/church-hall that were pretty hopeless anyway. I wouldn't fancy smashing up a piano with a cast-iron frame...at least not without helmet,goggles, steel-capped boots and probably a bullet-proof vest. I don't intend trying...not even in the cause of great art.
              Book your session at the Destructivist art event SCRAPCLUB. We welcome you every Friday and Saturday to participate in destruction of your own making. Smash everyday objects with sledgehammers. Retaliate against the onslought of products in your life.

Comment

Working...
              X