• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ardcarp
    Late member
    • Nov 2010

Screwed

Would you let anyone do this to your piano?

And did Cage have shares in Steinway?
  • Eine Alpensinfonie
    Host
    • Nov 2010

Absolutely not.

But composers are no respectors of hard-earned instruments of underpaid musicians.
    Would composers note this before considering “col legno”.

Comment

• Bryn
      Banned
      • Mar 2007

Originally posted by ardcarp View Post
      Would you let anyone do this to your piano?

And did Cage have shares in Steinway?
      One might if one was Joanna McGregor, but most pianists prepare their own pianos, rather than getting an assistant to do it for them. At the performance I attended yesterday evening, Zubin Kanga made several changed to his piano's preparations between, and sometimes during the works he perfromced. No cage, however.
      Last edited by Bryn; 28-03-19, 00:20. Reason: Typos

Comment

• Old Grumpy
        • Jan 2011

(+Pedant) Joanna McGregor (-Pedant). That aside - I fail to see how "preparation" can improve on the sound of the in instrument in any musical context.

OG

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
          Gone fishin'
          • Sep 2011

It's an "improvement" only in the sense that preparation creates a different set of sounds from usual, OG; sounds more appropriate in the context of the works written for Prepared Piano.
          [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• Old Grumpy
            • Jan 2011

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post
            It's an "improvement" only in the sense that preparation creates a different set of sounds from usual, OG; sounds more appropriate in the context of the works written for Prepared Piano.
            I understand what you say, FHG, but does it sound better - IMV, no..

OG

Comment

• Bryn
              Banned
              • Mar 2007

Originally posted by Old Grumpy View Post

OG
              The timbre is mutated to what the composer or improviser is seeking. It is different, in that, it better serves the musical intent.

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
                Gone fishin'
                • Sep 2011

Well, I see what you're saying* - but does a violin (or any instrument) sound "better" with a Mute attached than without? It's the context of the Music that makes it "right".

(* - I think it's "I don't like the Music written for Prepared Piano"? )

Comment

• Pulcinella
                  Host
                  • Feb 2014

(+Pedant) Joanna McGregor (-Pedant).

OG
                  ???
                  Joanna MacGregor, I think you'll find.

A profile of Joanna MacGregor (Piano) and details of their recordings available to browse and buy.

Comment

• MrGongGong
                    • Nov 2010

OG
                    "Better" than what ?

What a strange question

Comment

• Dave2002
                      • Dec 2010

(+Pedant) Joanna McGregor (-Pedant). That aside - I fail to see how "preparation" can improve on the sound of the in instrument in any musical context.

OG
                      +perfromced

I rather like that word - conjures up some amusing images.

Were there more or fewer typos after the edit?

Was that particular instrument permanently damaged - maybe not? Surely it’s an attempt to give different sounds to the instrument.

One question though - are the changes intended to be “permanent” (as in repeatable during a performance) or with a random element which changes as each note is struck? I can imagine modifications with, for example, marbles or aluminium foil which would vary the sound during a piece. That would seem to change the philosophy behind the performance concept.

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
                        Gone fishin'
                        • Sep 2011

Originally posted by Dave2002 View Post
                        One question though - are the changes intended to be “permanent” (as in repeatable during a performance) or with a random element which changes as each note is struck? I can imagine modifications with, for example, marbles or aluminium foil which would vary the sound during a piece. That would seem to change the philosophy behind the performance concept.
                        Depends on which work is being played - some works (such as Cage's Sonatas and Interludes) require a single "preparation" for the whole work, others can be adjusted during performance although, because the exact positioning of objects along the length of a piano string is often essential to the successful realization of a specific sound, this cannot always be done quickly, so limiting the opportunities. Having an assistant helps, but this still needs sufficient rehearsal time to get the timing and positioning right.

Comment

• MrGongGong
                          • Nov 2010

Comment

• Dave2002
                            • Dec 2010

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post
                            Depends on which work is being played - some works (such as Cage's Sonatas and Interludes) require a single "preparation" for the whole work, others can be adjusted during performance although, because the exact positioning of objects along the length of a piano string is often essential to the successful realization of a specific sound, this cannot always be done quickly, so limiting the opportunities. Having an assistant helps, but this still needs sufficient rehearsal time to get the timing and positioning right.
                            That assumes that the composer and/or the performers have an idea of what the piece “should” sound like - what is “successful”, which is philosophically different from music with random elements where maybe nobody knows what’s going to happen. Some composers may adopt that philosophy - if not for all of their works, for some of them. Also are the composers and performers the only people who “own” the music?

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
                              Gone fishin'
                              • Sep 2011

Originally posted by Dave2002 View Post
                              That assumes that the composer and/or the performers have an idea of what the piece “should” sound like
                              Yes - as I said, "it depends on [the] work": if the composer has a definite idea of what the resulting sounds will be (as in the Sonatas and Interludes) then these have to be followed by performers if they wish to re-present the work. (Some of the exact positions on a piano that Cage supplies with the score don't work on all pianos, as Cage discovered to his surprise - in which case <ho-ho> the measurememnts have to be tweaked until the expected sound is achieved.)

- what is “successful”, which is philosophically different from music with random elements where maybe nobody knows what’s going to happen. Some composers may adopt that philosophy - if not for all of their works, for some of them. Also are the composers and performers the only people who “own” the music?
                              Yes - as I said, it depends which work is being played. If the work is intended to offer a range of possibilities for performers, then all results have different validities.

Comment

Working...
                              X