• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • BLUESNIK'S REVOX
    • Dec 2010

Just now...
    Aditya Chakrabortty
    @chakrabortty
    What on earth is the BBC up to? (R3 programming cuts)

Aditya (Guardian politics/economics) is the only reason I ever read the Guardian. This is not going down well.

Comment

• oddoneout
      • Nov 2015

The link to Luke Turner's article, and a couple of BTL comments which caught my eye.

The Radio 3 show dropping from three nights a week to one deprives audiences of musical diversity and removes a vital lifeline for left-field musicians

It hardly matters, does it? There's a thousand streaming stations on the internet for every genre and none. People still listening to what they're force fed on FM mustn't like music that much anyway.
      I for one had no idea radio 3 broadcast a show like this, but I'll be checking it out now.

Comment

• oddoneout
        • Nov 2015

Originally posted by Old Grumpy
        Having "rested" JRR today to make space for Les Troyens*

OG

I think that may be the point (#19)

*AND apparently recorded anyway - so what's the rush to start at 1730h?
        It's not unheard of for regular programmes to get shunted to make way for something else, as a one off. It's annoying when the removed is something you usually listen to I agree, and I can understand that what would probably be given as mitigation that J to Z was still broadcast wouldn't necessarily be regarded as acceptable.
        I don't know how often the jazz programming gets sacrificed to opera broadcasts, as I don't listen to the latter and only occasionally to the former.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
          • Dec 2010

Originally posted by oddoneout View Post
          It's not unheard of for regular programmes to get shunted to make way for something else, as a one off. It's annoying when the removed is something you usually listen to I agree, and I can understand that what would probably be given as mitigation that J to Z was still broadcast wouldn't necessarily be regarded as acceptable.
          I don't know how often the jazz programming gets sacrificed to opera broadcasts, as I don't listen to the latter and only occasionally to the former.
          Usually the reason given for suspending jazz is direct broadcasts from the New York Met - but this should not apply if the Berlioz was pre-recorded. Clearly as a test of listener opinion it amounts to a Trojan horse!

Comment

• Old Grumpy
            • Jan 2011

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
            Usually the reason given for suspending jazz is direct broadcasts from the New York Met - but this should not apply if the Berlioz was pre-recorded. Clearly as a test of listener opinion it amounts to a Trojan horse!
            No need there even for a pun, S_A!

OG

Comment

• Old Grumpy
              • Jan 2011

If they'd cut out all the pre-opera guff and both intervals, they probably could have squeezed Les Troyens in anyway without shunting JRR or Hear and Now!

OG

Comment

• Bryn
                Banned
                • Mar 2007

Originally posted by Old Grumpy View Post
                If they'd cut out all the pre-opera guff and both intervals, they probably could have squeezed Les Troyens in anyway without shunting JRR or Hear and Now!

OG
                Never mind the "pre-opera guff", or introduction as some might consider it, the opera was followed by Nuits d'été and a short piano piece. Since the opera was a recording, the schedulers will have known its duration and thus could have started it some 38 minutes later and still included the introduction and interval feature. Still, at least as it's radio, we did not have to suffer the modern dress staging. That said, I am listening to it now, but maybe not for long. The orchestra's not that together and while most of the notes seem to be in the right order, they do not appear to me to be played with that much conviction.

Enough's enough. I've given up on this one and put the John Nelson recording on.
                Last edited by Bryn; 17-03-19, 10:35. Reason: Update.

Comment

• Globaltruth
                  Host
                  • Nov 2010

Link to an online petition protesting against the changes to Late Junction...
                  BBC3’s Late Junction has been a shining light of local and international experimental and culturally diverse music and sound-making for two decades, and to cut it is an assault on open, exploratory, curious cultural broadcasting by the BBC. It’s clear that – perhaps now more than ever – Late Junction and all it represents and offers needs to be cherished, not cut!

There is also apparently a Facebook page collating other petitions.

Comment

• Old Grumpy
                    • Jan 2011

Originally posted by Globaltruth View Post
                    Link to an online petition protesting against the changes to Late Junction...
                    BBC3’s Late Junction has been a shining light of local and international experimental and culturally diverse music and sound-making for two decades, and to cut it is an assault on open, exploratory, curious cultural broadcasting by the BBC. It’s clear that – perhaps now more than ever – Late Junction and all it represents and offers needs to be cherished, not cut!

There is also apparently a Facebook page collating other petitions.
                    Sorry, what or who is Facebook

OG

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                      • Dec 2010

Just bumping this thread up as a reminder that we lose two fine regular jazz programmes from Radio 3 this month, with Late Junction - the best outlet for "alternative" non-commercial musics since Mixing It - reduced to a single 2-hour programme.

I wonder how many signatures the petition against received in the end.

Comment

• Old Grumpy
                        • Jan 2011

A timely reminder, S_A. Using the power of Google - there seem to have been a series of petitions, including one on parliament.uk which was rejected as it was BBC business, not Government business. The petition referred to up thread is this, which has a total of 6215 signatures.

AFIK there was never a specific petition regarding Jazz Now and GSJ, but I did leave a message on the Controller's blog page.

OG
                        Last edited by Old Grumpy; 07-09-19, 20:43.

Comment

• doversoul1
                          Ex Member
                          • Dec 2010

Autumn scheduling plans on BBC Radio 3

Today we’ve put out to tender a number of programmes for Radio 3 beginning in the Autumn. The eagle-eyed among you will see that these imply some changes to the overall shape of the schedule.

Host: If this has been already posted elsewhere, please merge the thread.

Comment

• teamsaint
                            • Nov 2010

Radio 3 is proud to connect audiences with the human achievements of music and culture of the past, the present, and the future. It remains the most distinctive cultural music radio station anywhere in the world.

I'm looking forward to being connected to the human achievements of the future.

I may pop a CD on while I wait though.

And its good to know that he has checked out all the other radio stations , worldwide.
                            I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
                              Gone fishin'
                              • Sep 2011

So farewell Geoffrey Smith's Jazz - always a favourite, especially after many a disappointing H&N/NMS. Well, nice to know R3 will remain "distinctive" as a result of this.
                              [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
                                Gone fishin'
                                • Sep 2011

Originally posted by teamsaint View Post
                                Radio 3 is proud to connect audiences with the human achievements of music and culture of the past, the present, and the future. It remains the most distinctive cultural music radio station anywhere in the world.
                                I must be nice, mustn't it, to be able to get to decide this about yourself. Imagine a Headmaster getting to declare that his/her school "remains the most distinctive anywhere in the world" - save a lot of money on all those Inspectors!
                                [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

Working...
                                X