X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • eighthobstruction
    • Nov 2010

My Favourite Cough Mixture

....my favourite cough mixture I am informed has ceased to be manufactured 30 years a family staple....Pulmo Bailly [codeine, gualacol]....this may be down to it tasting like mosquito coils mixed with lemons....but boy did it work, I'm now about to test J Collis Browne's Mixture....{high hopes- morphine and peppermint oil....}

Anybody else have a household regulaity /staple taken off the shelves....
    bong ching
  • Pulcinella
    Host
    • Feb 2014

I quite like the Covonia ones; others (Boots, or supermarket own) can be a bit too sickly/syrupy sweet.

Used to love J Collis Browne's chlorodyne lozenges (at least I think they were made by him): bought them by the quarter ounce at the local sweet shop (Miss Spencer's) and they were poured into a little cone-shaped bag! MUCH nicer than Fisherman's Friend, though presumably now banned from sale?
    Last edited by Pulcinella; 09-03-19, 15:24. Reason: Chlorodyne not chlorodine!

Comment

• eighthobstruction
      • Nov 2010

....I usually [and at the moment ] have 5-6 different cough mixtures in the house [from days of smoking]....mentally I kind of think of them, depending severity of cough as 1) soothers 2) regular and 3) bash it....
      bong ching

Comment

• MrGongGong
        • Nov 2010

Honey
        or better still

Egészségére

Comment

• eighthobstruction
          • Nov 2010

....ZWACK.... [sounds good]....
          bong ching

Comment

• Pulcinella
            Host
            • Feb 2014

Originally posted by Pulcinella View Post
            I quite like the Covonia ones; others (Boots, or supermarket own) can be a bit too sickly/syrupy sweet.

Used to love J Collis Browne's chlorodyne lozenges (at least I think they were made by him): bought them by the quarter ounce at the local sweet shop (Miss Spencer's) and they were poured into a little cone-shaped bag! MUCH nicer than Fisherman's Friend, though presumably now banned from sale?
            False memory.

It was Victory V chlorodyne lozenges.
            But J Collis Browne did market chlorodyne as a liquid, in a little bottle with a dropper.
            Loved that too, but apparently it could become addictive.

Comment

• vinteuil
              • Nov 2010

Dr J Collis Browne's Chlorodyne contained alcohol, cannabis, chloroform, and opium...

The more recent versions have changed the recipe.

Comment

• Pulcinella
                Host
                • Feb 2014

Originally posted by vinteuil View Post

Dr J Collis Browne's Chlorodyne contained alcohol, cannabis, chloroform, and opium...

The more recent versions have changed the recipe.

An odd thing to be encouraged in a Methodist household!
                Mind you, my granny thought hot whisky/water and sugar was a good remedy too. Sadly, since I associate it with feeling unwell, it put me off the taste of whisky for life!

Comment

• Keraulophone
                  • Nov 2010

Gee's Linctus was always the remedy for childhood coughs in our family.

I realise now why I persisted with it: Camphorated Opium Tincure BP 1.67.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                    • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Keraulophone View Post
                    Gee's Linctus was always the remedy for childhood coughs in our family.

I realise now why I persisted with it: Camphorated Opium Tincure BP 1.67.

https://www.theguardian.com/lifeands...henry-jeffreys
                    Gees Linctus for me too - with it, I could always get rid of the worst cough within two days, even back in my moderate smoking days. There's been nothing on t'market to quite replace it for efficacy. Shame it's no longer obtainable.

I always think of an old joke told to me by my father many moons ago.

A chemist has to leave his shop one day, and so leaves his young trainee in charge. On returning, he asks if anybody had visited the store. "Only one chap, who came in complaining of a cough" says the trainee. "Oh, and what did you sell him?" "A bottle of that" says the latter, indicating a laxative. "You didn't give him that?!!" exclaims the horrified proprietor. "Oh I'm sure he's cured" replied the trainee, "Did you see that fellow out there on the street, clinging to the lamp post? That's him. He won't be coughing any more".

Comment

• Bryn
                      Banned
                      • Mar 2007

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
                      Gees Linctus for me too - with it, I could always get rid of the worst cough within two days, even back in my moderate smoking days. There's been nothing on t'market to quite replace it for efficacy. Shame it's no longer obtainable.

I always think of an old joke told to me by my father many moons ago.

A chemist has to leave his shop one day, and so leaves his young trainee in charge. On returning, he asks if anybody had visited the store. "Only one chap, who came in complaining of a cough" says the trainee. "Oh, and what did you sell him?" "A bottle of that" says the latter, indicating a laxative. "You didn't give him that?!!" exclaims the horrified proprietor. "Oh I'm sure he's cured" replied the trainee, "Did you see that fellow out there on the street, clinging to the lamp post? That's him. He won't be coughing any more".
                      Are you sure he was not just trying to drum up a sale of kaolin and morphine?

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                        • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
                        Are you sure he was not just trying to drum up a sale of kaolin and morphine?

I thought K&M was used for the opposite purpose! But I'll pass on that one.

Comment

• oddoneout
                          • Nov 2015

Originally posted by Pulcinella View Post
                          An odd thing to be encouraged in a Methodist household!
                          Mind you, my granny thought hot whisky/water and sugar was a good remedy too. Sadly, since I associate it with feeling unwell, it put me off the taste of whisky for life!
                          I think gripe water got into a lot of households that considered themselves teetotal...Something else that's been 'reformulated' to prevent inappropriate use - in this case adults getting through it by the bottle.

Comment

• pastoralguy
                            • Nov 2010

Whisky! In fact, definitely the cure for all ills!

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
                              Gone fishin'
                              • Sep 2011

Originally posted by pastoralguy View Post
                              Whisky! In fact, definitely the cure for all ills!
                              - and a pretty good preventative, too!
                              [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

Working...
                              X