X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • LMcD
    • Sep 2017

Do you remember 'Tutti Frutti'?

Repeat showing of the 1987 series featuring legendary rockers 'The Majestics', with Robbie Coltrane, Emma Thompson, Richard Wilson et al.
    Episode 1 is on BBC Scotland at 2130 hours on March 2nd. Preceded at 2100 by a repeated documentary about the stage adaptation.
    Last edited by LMcD; 25-02-19, 10:27.
  • Richard Tarleton

Marvellous, it was. Followed 3 years later by John Byrne's much darker Your Cheatin' Heart, with Tilda Swinton, John Gordon Sinclair, Eddie Reader and Katy Murphy - who is of course also in Tutti Frutti (let us know if they're showing Your Cheatin' Heart again!). I had the DVDs of Tutti Frutti for a while, but sold them to another forumite. Thank you for the heads up.

Comment

• Pulcinella
      Host
      • Feb 2014

Originally posted by Richard Tarleton View Post
      Marvellous, it was. Followed 3 years later by John Byrne's much darker Your Cheatin' Heart, with Tilda Swinton, John Gordon Sinclair, Eddie Reader and Katy Murphy - who is of course also in Tutti Frutti (let us know if they're showing Your Cheatin' Heart again!). I had the DVDs of Tutti Frutti for a while, but sold them to another forumite. Thank you for the heads up.
      Tried to watch ours again recently, but the sound quality was dreadful, so we gave up.

Not that I'm the forumite you sold them to, and I'm complaining, you understand!

Comment

• Richard Tarleton

It did strike me, watching it again after 30-odd years, how slowly paced it was. Definite longeurs. Has TV drama speeded up?

Comment

• LMcD
          • Sep 2017

It did strike me, watching it again after 30-odd years, how slowly paced it was. Definite longeurs. Has TV drama speeded up?
          2-hour slots on commercial channels now contain 90 minutes or less actual programme content, compared with over 100 minutes in past times.

Comment

• Richard Tarleton

I think I realised that (and this was on the BBC) - I'm thinking more of the script and direction, which are altogether more leisurely. It could of course just be down to John Byrne. Nowadays dramas are delivered in much shorter, sharper scenes?

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
              • Dec 2010

I think I realised that (and this was on the BBC) - I'm thinking more of the script and direction, which are altogether more leisurely. It could of course just be down to John Byrne. Nowadays dramas are delivered in much shorter, sharper scenes?
              Having recently picked up a number of TV drama reissues from the 1960s and 70s, that is the impression I get too. I suppose viewers had more laid back approaches to plays in those days because they had more time and fewer distractions to shorten the attention span in their lives!

Comment

• johncorrigan
                • Nov 2010

Originally posted by LMcD View Post
                Repeat showing of the 1987 series featuring legendary rockers 'The Majestics', with Robbie Coltrane, Emma Thompson, Richard Wilson et al.
                Episode 1 is on BBC Scotland at 2130 hours on March 2nd. Preceded at 2100 by a repeated documentary about the stage adaptation.
                A couple of my pals were involved in the music dubbing and mixing and the editing and living in the West End of Glasgow at the time it was the talk of the steamie. One other friend who is in the shows says it reminds him how much hair he used to have. Also one of those pals had a wee fling with Ms Thompson - she was very nice, I seem to recall. Wonder how the music will hold up? Richard Wilson's Mr Clockerty and Kate Murphy's Janice were a fab double act. Oh and there was the magnificent Radio Buckie...

Comment

• Richard Tarleton

Originally posted by johncorrigan View Post
                  A couple of my pals were involved in the music dubbing and mixing and the editing and living in the West End of Glasgow at the time it was the talk of the steamie. One other friend who is in the shows says it reminds him how much hair he used to have. Also one of those pals had a wee fling with Ms Thompson - she was very nice, I seem to recall. Wonder how the music will hold up? Richard Wilson's Mr Clockerty and Kate Murphy's Janice were a fab double act. Oh and there was the magnificent Radio Buckie...
                  There was a great ensemble version of this........and Robbie C's opening number at their first gig was a belting version of Great Balls of Fire - with Vincent Diver (Maurice Roëves) scrambling to keep up on the Gretsch - which was defenestrated in a later episode......

Your Cheatin' Heart suffered (for non-Glaswegians) from the impenetrability of the accents. We had to watch every episode twice. But a stonking soundtrack.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                    • Dec 2010

There was a great ensemble version of this........and Robbie C's opening number at their first gig was a belting version of Great Balls of Fire - with Vincent Diver (Maurice Roëves) scrambling to keep up on the Gretsch - which was defenestrated in a later episode......

Your Cheatin' Heart suffered (for non-Glaswegians) from the impenetrability of the accents. We had to watch every episode twice. But a stonking soundtrack.
                    They'd probably add subtitles today.

Comment

• Bryn
                      Banned
                      • Mar 2007

Do please post a reminder message on Saturday or Sunday.

Comment

• LMcD
                        • Sep 2017

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
                        Do please post a reminder message on Saturday or Sunday.
                        Will do! (Does your TV's EPG not allow you to schedule a recording of individual episodes or the whole series in advance?)

Comment

• Bryn
                          Banned
                          • Mar 2007

Will do! (Does your TV's EPG not allow you to schedule a recording of individual episodes or the whole series in advance?)
                          I live in the Royal County of Berkshire. I get_ BBC Scotland is via the iPlayer.

Comment

• gurnemanz
                            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by johncorrigan View Post
                            Richard Wilson's Mr Clockerty and Kate Murphy's Janice were a fab double act.
                            An absolute favourite and that Clockerty/Janice double act is one of the things that has most stuck with me. I can recall some rather dense Glasgow accents challenging comprehension at times.

Comment

• LMcD
                              • Sep 2017

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
                              I live in the Royal County of Berkshire. I get_ BBC Scotland is via the iPlayer.
                              I live in the non-royal county of Suffolk and get it on Freesat channel 108.

Comment

Working...
                              X