• Jun 2014

Anyway......Kafka and Cleethorpes

Comment

• french frank
      Administrator/Moderator
      • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Conchis View Post
      Anyway......Kafka and Cleethorpes
      What would you like to know (the answer's Yes).
      It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• vinteuil
        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by LMcD View Post
        I agree - let's give the fish jokes a rest and listen to … oh, I don't know, how about something by that chap who composed 'Carmina Burana'.
        ... inevitably -

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

Comment

• MrGongGong
          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by vinteuil View Post
          ... inevitably -

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

Beat (as on the banks of the Silvery Tay) me to it

Comment

• MrGongGong
            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by jayne lee wilson View Post

Oh God, sucker punch, right? ​I'm outta here - thank god there's lots of good football today...!

Comment

• eighthobstruction
              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by vinteuil View Post
              ... inevitably -

....excellent....
              bong ching

Comment

• french frank
                Administrator/Moderator
                • Feb 2007

Originally posted by LMcD View Post
                that chap who composed 'Carmina Burana'.
                His real name was William Henry Pratt, you know.
                It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• Padraig
                  • Feb 2013

Is that the end... fin?

Comment

• LMcD
                    • Sep 2017

Originally posted by french frank View Post
                    His real name was William Henry Pratt, you know.
                    Brilliant!

Comment

• Richard Tarleton

Originally posted by eighthobstruction View Post
                      ....excellent....

...a question on last week's University Challenge - Mondegreen......

Comment

• vinteuil
                        • Nov 2010

... and fans of The Bridge might relish -

From 'Adam Buxton's Shed Of Christmas'First broadcast on @SkyArts at 9.30pm on Tuesday 16th December 2014 produced by Burning BrightMusic - 'Hollow Talk' by...

Comment

• ardcarp
                          Late member
                          • Nov 2010

Yesterday, I worked with a woman in her late fifties who had never heard of Kafka.

I may be wrong (and probably am) but I found this absolutely horrifying, as well as embarrassing. Said woman does not lack formal education and is not a from a materially deprived background....but she had never heard of the Czech novelist, or of his works.

After learning this, I'm afraid I cold-shouldered her for the rest of the day. I just found it embarrassing to be in the same space as someone so casually ignorant.

Does this make me a snob and/or a 'bad person'?
                          I haven't read all the posts. But would one be equally aghast if someone hadn't heard of, say, a muon? Being scientifically 'illitereate' seems to be OK, and no cause for someone who isn't to be worried by feelings of snobbery towards those who are. C.P. Snow and all that.

Comment

• Bryn
                            Banned
                            • Mar 2007

Originally posted by ardcarp View Post
                            I haven't read all the posts. But would one be equally aghast if someone hadn't heard of, say, a muon? Being scientifically 'illitereate' seems to be OK, and no cause for someone who isn't to be worried by feelings of snobbery towards those who are. C.P. Snow and all that.
                            Hmm. Should quarks not now be renamed, not only since we now recognise at least double Muster Mark's three, but also to avoid confusion with a certain dairy product?
                            Last edited by Bryn; 25-02-19, 01:35. Reason: Moved some content to intended thread.

Comment

• LMcD
                              • Sep 2017

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
                              Hmm. Should quarks not now be renamed, not only since we now recognise at least double Muster Mark's three, but also to avoid confusion with a certain dairy product?

See also, http://www.for3.org/forums/showthrea...890#post725890
                              I don't know whether it makes me a snob, but I'm sort of proud when I know none of the answers to quiz questions about TV talent shows.

Comment

• Conchis
                                Banned
                                • Jun 2014

Originally posted by ardcarp View Post
                                I made the additional point, down thread, that the woman is involved with an arts organisation, which made her ignorance of F.K. all the more alarming, to me at least. Sort of analogous to a member of a scientific society not knowing what joules are.

Comment

Working...
                                X