X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Conchis
    Banned
    • Jun 2014

As Cleethorpes has been getting a bit of an (entirely justified, imo) kicking on this thread, it might be instructive for us to remember the fish-gutter turned soul maestro who constitutes its sole (ha! Double pun!) positive contribution to the world:

Comment

• cloughie
      • Dec 2011

Originally posted by LMcD View Post
      As it's clearly confession time (gulp)… here goes....
      I like Gilbert AND Sullivan.
      So there!
      Raymond Edward O’Sullivan was, in my view, a very talented popular song writer. His lyrics were clever, his songs told a story and he sang in tune, and didn’t push his voice into areas they did not belong. As far as Gilbert and Sullivan are concerned Sullivan was a very good composer as his repertoire shows. Gilbert - nah - not keen at all!

Comment

• cloughie
        • Dec 2011

Originally posted by Conchis View Post
        I don't and never have - but, if I did, that's something I would keep very close to my chest indeed.
        Why?

Comment

• Conchis
          Banned
          • Jun 2014

Originally posted by cloughie View Post
          Raymond Edward O’Sullivan was, in my view, a very talented popular song writer. His lyrics were clever, his songs told a story and he sang in tune, and didn’t push his voice into areas they did not belong. As far as Gilbert and Sullivan are concerned Sullivan was a very good composer as his repertoire shows. Gilbert - nah - not keen at all!
          In the early 90s, Q magazine described him as 'the world's most terminally un-hip pop star'. The label has stuck, but he still manages to play major venues when he tours. He must be doing something right!

Comment

• Conchis
            Banned
            • Jun 2014

Why?
            Sullivan's music I can just about take (in very small doses) but Gilbert's awful, pompous, overbearing late Victorian lyrics (which were a baleful influence on Alan Jay Lerner and his like) I can do without. I suppose I owe them a small debt of gratitude, though, for making me feel more sanguine about not liking Verdi - because early to mid-period Verdi in English sounds exactly like G&S!

Comment

• cloughie
              • Dec 2011

In the early 90s, Q magazine described him as 'the world's most terminally un-hip pop star'. The label has stuck, but he still manages to play major venues when he tours. He must be doing something right!
              Says everything about Q magazine!

Comment

• cloughie
                • Dec 2011

Sullivan's music I can just about take (in very small doses) but Gilbert's awful, pompous, overbearing late Victorian lyrics (which were a baleful influence on Alan Jay Lerner and his like) I can do without. I suppose I owe them a small debt of gratitude, though, for making me feel more sanguine about not liking Verdi - because early to mid-period Verdi in English sounds exactly like G&S!
                As I have already said I’m not keen on Gilbert, however I see no comparison with Lerner - My Fair Lady had some really good songs with very good lyrics.

Comment

• Conchis
                  Banned
                  • Jun 2014

As I have already said I’m not keen on Gilbert, however I see no comparison with Lerner - My Fair Lady had some really good songs with very good lyrics.
                  Not keen on that one, but I was listening to Camelot on a long car journey recently - the tunes are splendid and the lyrics, though good, are a bit too clever-clever and self-consciously 'English' for my taste. I don't think Lerner & Loewe ever set anything in their homeland and three of their four 'biggies' are set in Britain.

Comment

• Lat-Literal
                    • Aug 2015

The OP has inadvertently picked a fight with a woman who entirely lacks pomposity. While southern people look up to Coronation Street, northern people look down on Only Fools and Horses. She is the exception who has had the humility to recognise its intellectual worth. I think he needs to re-engage by mentioning Grimsby Town FC which is based in Cleethorpes and whose supporters - her? - wave plastic fish before moving swiftly on to Murakami's "A Downpour of Fish" which as he will know is the stage production of his "Kafka on the Shore".

Comment

• Richard Tarleton

Originally posted by teamsaint View Post
                      That may be,( eg Charterhouse which has developed in football in recent times ) but those schools I mentioned and many others have historically had football as a/the major winter game.
                      I did time at a rugby playing school where, to confuse things, it was officially called "football", or possibly "rugby football". The 1st XV (the school gladiators) were the "football team". Hated it, then and now.

Soccer, if it was mentioned at all, was "Association football" (or, of course, soccer). Nowadays soccer more of an Americanism?

Comment

• MrGongGong
                        • Nov 2010

As Cleethorpes has been getting a bit of an (entirely justified, imo) kicking on this thread, it might be instructive for us to remember the fish-gutter turned soul maestro who constitutes its sole (ha! Double pun!) positive contribution to the world:

https://youtu.be/GUr6z-jx8q4
                        You missed out Wendy Pankhurst (grand daughter of Emmiline) who not only sang for Mike Oldfield but was (is?) a great music teacher.

Comment

• french frank
                          Administrator/Moderator
                          • Feb 2007

Never heard of him. But on WS Gilbert: I'm not a fan of G&S, but when you pick on his 'Victorian pomposity', you miss the point. The pomposity is not Gilbert's: it's of the Victorian age. Gilbert is making fun of it. True, as with Shakespeare, the comedy has not always travelled well, but it travels better when it's understood.

I had a distant relative who had a farm near Grimsby, but that's all I know about Cleethorpes.
                          It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• Conchis
                            Banned
                            • Jun 2014

Originally posted by french frank View Post
                            Never heard of him. But on WS Gilbert: I'm not a fan of G&S, but when you pick on his 'Victorian pomposity', you miss the point. The pomposity is not Gilbert's: it's of the Victorian age. Gilbert is making fun of it. True, as with Shakespeare, the comedy has not always travelled well, but it travels better when it's understood.

I had a distant relative who had a farm near Grimsby, but that's all I know about Cleethorpes.
                            I encountered his Hamlet parody at school. All I can say is, satirist as he may have been, WSG had more than enough pomposity of his own to go round without ridiculing the pomposity of others.

Comment

• eighthobstruction
                              • Nov 2010

....Gosh Lat ....do you know any Grimsby Town terrace chants....Surely FISH< FISH , FISH must be one of them....We Are Going To Gut You ....perhaps Never Buy A Fish Who's Eyes Have Lost Their Lustre....[I suggest]
                              bong ching

Comment

• eighthobstruction
                                • Nov 2010

....Well pomposity/Snobbery all rolling around in the same tub....What we need is a big melting pot, big enough to take the whirls of monoglot - keep it melting for a hundred years or more, spitting out covfefe folk on Cleethorpes Shore....

....and how near are snobbery and pomposity to....bigotry....
                                bong ching

Comment

Working...
                                X