Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • greenilex
    • Nov 2010

I think kafcase is a place near Azerbaijan?

Comment

• Richard Tarleton

Originally posted by french frank View Post
      There are also those, again an unguessable number of anti-elitists who, while enjoying the aforementioned arts themselves, nevertheless believe that snobs and elitists (which they most certainly are not) are excluding people who might wish to be included. They therefore go out of their way (noblesse oblige, after all) to include the excluded by stooping down to their humble level.

You know who you are, Clemmy

Comment

• ardcarp
        Late member
        • Nov 2010

Surely anyone who has reached the age of 58 without at least hearing of Kafka (NB hearing of - ie admitting the existence of, not having failed to write a doctorate on the subject!) is someone who has exhibited a profound lack of intellectual curiosity in their lives.
        Yes I agree. But (achtung! snobbery to follow) what percentage of the population wants to/is able to pursue 'intellectual curiosity'?

I have a close-to-home story to tell...if pressed.

Comment

• Bryn
          Banned
          • Mar 2007

Originally posted by ardcarp View Post
          Yes I agree. But (achtung! snobbery to follow) what percentage of the population wants to/is able to pursue 'intellectual curiosity'?

I have a close-to-home story to tell...if pressed.
          Well quite. Who wants to be a member of the stinking ninth category?

Comment

• LMcD
            • Sep 2017

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
            Does one have to progress through numbers 1 to 8 before facing up to this momentous decision?

Comment

• Bryn
              Banned
              • Mar 2007

Originally posted by LMcD View Post
              Does one have to progress through numbers 1 to 8 before facing up to this momentous decision?
              from https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chinese_intellectualism

When the Cultural Revolution began in 1966, party functionaries assumed positions of leadership at most research institutes and universities, and many schools were closed or converted to "soldiers', workers', and peasants' universities." Intellectuals, denounced as the "stinking ninth category," either were purged or had their work heavily edited for political "purity", which severely hampered most serious research and scholarship.

Comment

• vinteuil
                • Nov 2010

... o dear - I don't think I wd have lasted long -

Comment

• french frank
                  Administrator/Moderator
                  • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Richard Tarleton View Post

You know who you are, Clemmy
                  Bingo! (a community game played by the lower classes, usually for small sums of money, and often incorporating in-group jokes which give great pleasure and amusement. M'lud).
                  It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• ardcarp
                    Late member
                    • Nov 2010

You could start in the middle somewhere......

1 - 2 largely odour free

3 - 4 mildly aromatic

5 - 6 increasingly pungent

7 - 8 downright smelly

Comment

• Zucchini
                      • Nov 2010

Originally Posted by Richard Barrett
                      "I'd better retire to my study with my revolver and do the decent thing."

Could I suggest you read 'Metamorphosis' or 'The Trial' before you do something irrevocable?
                      Don't worry for him LMcD.
                      He means he's going to revolve his 78rpm turntable & listen to crackly sounds of dead people making horrible noises.
                      Just leave him to it.

Comment

• LMcD
                        • Sep 2017

Originally posted by Zucchini View Post

He means he's going to revolve his 78rpm turntable & listen to crackly sounds of dead people making horrible noises.
                        Just leave him to it.
                        Thank you for putting my mind at rest.

Comment

• Bryn
                          Banned
                          • Mar 2007

Originally posted by Zucchini View Post

Just leave him to it.
                          My guess would be that RB's Revolver spins at an average of around 350rpm.

Comment

• LMcD
                            • Sep 2017

My guess would be that RB's Revolver spins at an average of around 350rpm.
                            As far as I know, my copy of what has long been my favourite Beatles album (the sheer variety of styles on what was originally the 'B side' is truly wonderful) starts off at around 460 rpm and finishes at around 200.

Comment

• Bryn
                              Banned
                              • Mar 2007

As far as I know, my copy of what has long been my favourite Beatles album (the sheer variety of styles on what was originally the 'B side' is truly wonderful) starts off at around 460 rpm and finishes at around 200.
                              So an average closer to 330 rpm than 350. I was forgetting that it was originally on vinyl LP, so rather shorter in duration than a 'full' CD.

Comment

• cloughie
                                • Dec 2011

From ‘Taxman’ through to ‘Tomorrow never knows’ it is stonkingly good! I bought it on the day that it was released, just under 53 years ago. The Beatles at their very best!

Comment

Working...
                                X