• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Pulcinella
    Host
    • Feb 2014

Originally posted by LMcD View Post
    Nobody seems to be concerned about how the unfortunate lady felt to be in the same space as someone so casually arrogant. (I'm not sure how one is 'casually ignorant'....?)
    The significance of her not being from a materially deprived background escapes me. I grew up in what, to put it mildly, I would describe as extremely modest circumstances (and can I just say what an honour it is to be able to converse in this way with my betters)
    I sort of did in my post #15:

Originally posted by Pulcinella View Post
    Many of the Year 6 children in the primary school where I help out have not been inside York Minster, though it is on their doorstep.
    I would NEVER dismiss them from my circle for that: rather, I encourage them to visit it.
    I wonder who is the more relieved not to be working with each other again, you or the 58yo?

Yes, you are a snob, but at least in slight mitigation you recognise it.

Comment

• Alain Maréchal
      • Dec 2010

Originally posted by ardcarp View Post
      It makes me flinch when the verb 'to come' is conjugated (or rather not conjugated) as 'come' in the third person singular. But why? Meaning is perfectly clear. And why should we look down more on a native speaker with this quirk than, say, a French speaker with imperfect English (e.g. 'e come to Pareee for 'oliday)?
      One of the significances of English is that it is possible to communicate well with an imperfect command of grammar and syntax. Thus a non-native speaker may continue to use unidiomatic English because nobody has bothered to correct them. You may have observed that German speakers of English frequently use the infinitive when a different construction is called for e.g. "I intend to go to the bank later". This is comprehensible, but wrong ( I think)*. Please correct us, even though your native politeness urges you not to do so. Subtle correction of a speaker's grammar is quite common in France, regional idioms are still in common use.

* This is one of those occasions when I miss Jean - she would have posted a gentle correction, and an explanation.

Comment

• Conchis
        Banned
        • Jun 2014

Originally posted by Pulcinella View Post
        I sort of did in my post #15:
        Pulcinella - rather than repeat yourself ad nauseam, why not keep up to date with the thread?

The 58 year old evidently liked me enough to want to work wtih me again, so your feelings are somewhat misjudged.

Comment

• Alain Maréchal
          • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
          Bear in mind that Nijinsky's was thought lost, for several decades.
          One of the most revelatory moments in the recreation was seeing the entrance of girls clearly imitating the pacing of cranes; suddenly Stravinsky's complaint about "knock-kneed Lolitas" made sense.

Comment

• Conchis
            Banned
            • Jun 2014

Nobody seems to be concerned about how the unfortunate lady felt to be in the same space as someone so casually arrogant. (I'm not sure how one is 'casually ignorant'....?)
            The significance of her not being from a materially deprived background escapes me. I grew up in what, to put it mildly, I would describe as extremely modest circumstances (and can I just say what an honour it is to be able to converse in this way with my betters)
            The cold-shouldering was my own perception: I am very sensitive, it may surprise you to hear! But Cleethorpes woman evidently has the hide of a rhinoceros, because she didn’t perceive it as sucH! (See above)

Your attempt to be a troll on this thread is mildly amusing but you lack the flamboyance and audacity to fulfil such a role. Still, keep ‘em coming. You’re fair target practice!

Comment

• Conchis
              Banned
              • Jun 2014

Re: the interesting comments by Ardcarp and Sir Velo....

I think virtually everyone on this forum is guilty of cultural snobbery, or at least what any random person who doesn’t enjoy the unhappily-named ‘high arts’ would perceive it as being.

I’ve been on the receiving end of a fair bit of inverted cultural snobbery in my time (‘You can’t mean you actually LIKE opera?! NOBODY likes opera! Does that mean you’re queer...’, etc, etc) and I’d sooner have the honest original variety than the stuff that helped power the Brexit vote.

Comment

• LMcD
                • Sep 2017

Originally posted by Conchis View Post
                The cold-shouldering was my own perception: I am very sensitive, it may surprise you to hear! But Cleethorpes woman evidently has the hide of a rhinoceros, because she didn’t perceive it as sucH! (See above)

Your attempt to be a troll on this thread is mildly amusing but you lack the flamboyance and audacity to fulfil such a role. Still, keep ‘em coming. You’re fair target practice!

It's nice to know that I serve some purpose, however modest. I'm afraid I don't know what an internet troll is, let alone what its significance in all this is, so I'm not sure whether I should look on my lack of qualifications as a matter of regret or relief.
                Like Ronnie Corbett in THAT sketch, 'I know my place'.

Comment

• french frank
                  Administrator/Moderator
                  • Feb 2007

I think virtually everyone on this forum is guilty of cultural snobbery, or at least what any random person who doesn’t enjoy the unhappily-named ‘high arts’ would perceive it as being.
                  I would imagine that is mainly to do with people's hang-ups about the high arts: 'If you like opera/classical music, you must be a snob' - as if liking opera/classical music necessarily means that you feel superior to people who don't like it. I cannot quite explain why anyone should think that: I would say that 'virtually everyone on this forum' is indifferent to the fact that others have different tastes. It's just natural. I feel slightly 'inferior' to people who like contemporary music, or something called 'progressive rock' but I don't feel that they are snobs for appreciating what I don't. I'm largely unaware of what they think of me for preferring pre-mid 19th c. music; in fact I don't know why they would even have an opinion on the matter. But perhaps I'm wrong
                  It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• Bryn
                    Banned
                    • Mar 2007

[/B]

It's nice to know that I serve some purpose, however modest. I'm afraid I don't know what an internet troll is, let alone what its significance in all this is, so I'm not sure whether I should look on my lack of qualifications as a matter of regret or relief.
                    Like Ronnie Corbett in THAT sketch, 'I know my place'.
                    Back in the days when I subscribed to Peking Review, they used to use the phrase, "a thief running about shouting 'stop thief'" rather a lot. I think that fits you being called a/the troll in this thread rather well.

Comment

• Conchis
                      Banned
                      • Jun 2014

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
                      Back in the days when I subscribed to Peking Review, they used to use the phrase, "a thief running about shouting 'stop thief'" rather a lot. I think that fits you being called a/the troll in this thread rather well.
                      Ah, but today’s troll has a whole new bag of tricks. Rather than just causing trouble for the sake of it, he causes trouble by pretending to be offended on someone else’s behalf. It’s actually a rather old tactic - and a painfully obvious one.

Comment

• Conchis
                        Banned
                        • Jun 2014

Thinking about this, I don’t think I’m any more a snob than Jeremy Bernard Corbyn is an anti-Semite.

Comment

• cloughie
                          • Dec 2011

Originally posted by french frank View Post
                          I would imagine that is mainly to do with people's hang-ups about the high arts: 'If you like opera/classical music, you must be a snob' - as if liking opera/classical music necessarily means that you feel superior to people who don't like it. I cannot quite explain why anyone should think that: I would say that 'virtually everyone on this forum' is indifferent to the fact that others have different tastes. It's just natural. I feel slightly 'inferior' to people who like contemporary music, or something called 'progressive rock' but I don't feel that they are snobs for appreciating what I don't. I'm largely unaware of what they think of me for preferring pre-mid 19th c. music; in fact I don't know why they would even have an opinion on the matter. But perhaps I'm wrong
                          Why 'inferior' ff? if you don't like the sound of it or can't understand what those who like it can see in it, fair enough but why do you feel 'inferior'? - as I have said before on these boards music is a very personal thing - if I am considered unhip or even un'hipp' then that is my choice and so be it. What is on my bulging shelves is a testament to my tastes - if others share them, fine - if not … je ne regret rien!

Comment

• french frank
                            Administrator/Moderator
                            • Feb 2007

Originally posted by cloughie View Post
                            Why 'inferior' ff? if you don't like the sound of it or can't understand what those who like it can see in it, fair enough but why do you feel 'inferior'?
                            I did put it in inverted commas! I think it's the feeling that there is 'something there' which others (whom I respect) can appreciate, but I can't, perhaps because I don't know enough. An alternative is to declare that there is 'nothing there' and it's all a load of rubbish, pop music and new music (which is just a fraud).
                            It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
                              Gone fishin'
                              • Sep 2011

Ah, but today’s troll has a whole new bag of tricks. Rather than just causing trouble for the sake of it, he causes trouble by pretending to be offended on someone else’s behalf. It’s actually a rather old tactic - and a painfully obvious one.
                              Conchis, you seem to be giving the impression that, with Beef Oven's departure, there is a Forum vacancy for a stirrer and provoker, and that you are capable of filling his shoes.

There isn't, and you're not.

Take this message as a "Cease and Desist" statement, please.
                              [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• cloughie
                                • Dec 2011

Originally posted by french frank View Post
                                I did put it in inverted commas! I think it's the feeling that there is 'something there' which others (whom I respect) can appreciate, but I can't, perhaps because I don't know enough. The alternative is to declare that there is 'nothing there' and it's all a load of rubbish, pop music and new music (which is just a fraud).
                                Yes I think I see where you are there - I just think inferior with or without the commas is not the right word.

Comment

Working...
                                X