• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • french frank
    Administrator/Moderator
    • Feb 2007

Originally posted by teamsaint View Post
    My brother had the same educational opportuniies as me. He’s had a good career and all thst stuff.

If he has heard of Kafka, it’ll be by chance, and I’d be amazed if he knew anything about his work at all.

He just inhabits a rather, well very, different world to me. i’ll be staying in touch with him ........
    It's the way of the world that some people occupy some corners and others are in others: their knowledge and experience differ. I have a sense that there is jaw-dropping incredulousness that I know no more than the name of David Bowie - and what he looked like. I had neither reason nor inclination to pursue that any further. For David Bowie substitute many other things that I am 100% (or perhaps 99%) ignorant of.

I was always struck by one of the character traits that Conan Doyle gave to Holmes: that he had extensive knowledge of subjects that interested him, had written monographs on the different kinds of tobacco, but had not come across the fact that the earth revolved round the sun rather than vice versa.
    It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• Conchis
      Banned
      • Jun 2014

Originally posted by french frank View Post
      It's the way of the world that some people occupy some corners and others are in others: their knowledge and experience differ. I have a sense that there is jaw-dropping incredulousness that I know no more than the name of David Bowie - and what he looked like. I had neither reason nor inclination to pursue that any further. For David Bowie substitute many other things that I am 100% (or perhaps 99%) ignorant of.

I was always struck by one of the character traits that Conan Doyle gave to Holmes: that he had extensive knowledge of subjects that interested him, had written monographs on the different kinds of tobacco, but had not come across the fact that the earth revolved round the sun rather than vice versa.

A slightly different example: I think someone who had lived in Britain during the last fifty or so years would have had to have made a conscious effort NOT to know who David Bowie was. Said effort would have involved avoiding all news on television and radio, turning one's eyes away from newspaper stands, (latterly) staying off the internet and blocking one's ears when in the vicinity of 'pop' radio.

You know David Bowie was a pop/rock star, that he was male and that he died three years ago. That's probably all you need to know about him, but I'd wager you've taken in quite a bit more than that, via osmosis.

A bit more information on said woman: she worked for an arts organisation, which perhaps made her ignorance of Kafka that bit harder for me to take.

Comment

• Conchis
        Banned
        • Jun 2014

Originally posted by Pulcinella View Post
        Many of the Year 6 children in the primary school where I help out have not been inside York Minster, though it is on their doorstep.
        I would NEVER dismiss them from my circle for that: rather, I encourage them to visit it.
        I wonder who is the more relieved not to be working with each other again, you or the 58yo?

Yes, you are a snob, but at least in slight mitigation you recognise it.
        I'm not ashamed of how I feel.

Comment

• french frank
          Administrator/Moderator
          • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Conchis View Post
          A bit more information on said woman: she worked for an arts organisation, which perhaps made her ignorance of Kafka that bit harder for me to take.
          To get a bit more perspective, it would be interesting to know what she does know about … what does she read, what music does she like, does she go to the theatre, art exhibitions and so on. I would certainly take a 'not my kind of person' attitude if I could find nothing in common with her. But I wouldn't think that she ought to be my kind of person!
          It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• Conchis
            Banned
            • Jun 2014

To get a bit more perspective, it would be interesting to know what she does know about … what does she read, what music does she like, does she go to the theatre, art exhibitions and so on. I would certainly take a 'not my kind of person' attitude if I could find nothing in common with her. But I wouldn't think that she ought to be my kind of person!
            I learned a bit about her tastes, which I would characterise as 'middle-brow': mainstream films (featuring people like Kevin Costner and Cameron Diaz), mainstream television (Only Fools & Horses), and she watches football ('because my husband does, and I like to join in'). She comes from Cleethorpes, a town I've only visited once but which struck me then as being a bloody awful place to live - a bit like Stoke on Trent, but with added sea.

Comment

• french frank
              Administrator/Moderator
              • Feb 2007

I learned a bit about her tastes, which I would characterise as 'middle-brow': mainstream films (featuring people like Kevin Costner and Cameron Diaz), mainstream television (Only Fools & Horses), and she watches football ('because my husband does, and I like to join in'). She comes from Cleethorpes, a town I've only visited once but which struck me then as being a bloody awful place to live - a bit like Stoke on Trent, but with added sea.
              And you were surprised she hadn't heard of Kafka? I think I'd have been more surprised if she had - though I probably wouldn't have mentioned his name myself. Although I not infrequently have referred to things (mentally) as 'Kafkaesque', I think as a writer he would go along with Camus, Hesse &c who were much more talked about among the 'cognoscenti' of the 1960s.

Comment

• Conchis
                Banned
                • Jun 2014

And you were surprised she hadn't heard of Kafka? I think I'd have been more surprised if she had - though I probably wouldn't have mentioned his name myself. Although I not infrequently have referred to things (mentally) as 'Kafkaesque', I think as a writer he would go along with Camus, Hesse &c who were much more talked about among the 'cognoscenti' of the 1960s.
                Not sure about Hesse, but I don't think Camus is at all widely known now, outside a certain age bracket. This is partially due to the lack of respect shown toward existentialism these days ('it's a discredited philosophy', someone told me recently). The fact that his works aren't really filmable (neither are Hesse's come to that) hasn't helped, either.

But as to environment, I think if you have an interest in something these days you can and will pursue it, regardless of your background. Cleethorpes may be a horrible town but it's by no means a (materially) impoverished one and it still has a functioning library (which is, funnily enough, where I met the woman who is the subject of this thread).

Comment

• eighthobstruction
                  • Nov 2010

....just to put a cat amongst the pidgeons ....I don't think it was snobbery....more likely it was negligent ignorance....
                  bong ching

Comment

• Conchis
                    Banned
                    • Jun 2014

Originally posted by eighthobstruction View Post
                    ....just to put a cat amongst the pidgeons ....I don't think it was snobbery....more likely it was negligent ignorance....
                    Hers, or mine?

Comment

• Alain Maréchal
                      • Dec 2010

I don't think Camus is at all widely known now, outside a certain age bracket. This is partially due to the lack of respect shown toward existentialism these days ('it's a discredited philosophy', someone told me recently).
                      Suddenly, I understand much more about British attitudes to the EU than years of trying.

Comment

• eighthobstruction
                        • Nov 2010

Hers, or mine?
                        ....yours

....Out of 20 houses in my road I reckon only one might know of Kafka ......[.and yes it IS fab' being a big fish in a small pond]
                        bong ching

Comment

• Bryn
                          Banned
                          • Mar 2007

Originally posted by MrGongGong View Post
                          Even though many people might not recognise the name, anyone who has had dealings with the DWP will understand what "Kafkaesque" means
                          A brown envelope dropped through my letterbox a few minutes ago. On the back was the sender's address, DWP, PO Box 585 . . . My heart sank. Turned out just to be notification of my State Pension plus associated Graduated Retirement Benefit. (AH please note) increase. Phew!

Comment

• Conchis
                            Banned
                            • Jun 2014

Originally posted by Alain Maréchal View Post
                            Suddenly, I understand much more about British attitudes to the EU than years of trying.
                            My understanding is that Philosophy is taught as a core subject in French schools. This has never been the case in British schools.

Comment

• Alain Maréchal
                              • Dec 2010

Your understanding is correct.

Comment

• Bryn
                                Banned
                                • Mar 2007

Originally posted by Alain Maréchal View Post
                                Oh we're a mongrel lot. Take me for instance, a septuagenarian, politics somewhat to the left of the Corbyns (J and P), and very much in the 'remainer' camp, though based on a rationale very different from 'the eight' (or however many it is today).

Comment

Working...
                                X