• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • cloughie
    • Dec 2011

Originally posted by Conchis View Post
    Really?

A couple of people have popped in to engage in low-level abuse but have offered no follow-up. I've certainly been called far worse for far less!

Thought I say it myself, this thread has been an example of the forum at its best: it's got silly at times but maybe that was necessary light relief. It's encapsulated an interesting socio-cultural-political discussion, which you'd be unlikely to find in any branch of Wetherspoons.

I'll admit I began the thread in a spirit of frustration after my rather desolating experience in Cleethorpes (a town that invites desolation) but I now feel somewhat better about it all. And guess what? Today, I had an email from the organisation I worked with there on Friday telling me how much they'd enjoyed working with me!
    There you go again digging away - I have had some very interesting discussions in Weatherspoons!

Comment

• cloughie
      • Dec 2011

Originally posted by LMcD View Post
      Thus conchis doth make cowards of us all....
      ...but not snobs!

Comment

• LMcD
        • Sep 2017

Originally posted by cloughie View Post
        There you go again digging away - I have had some very interesting discussions in Weatherspoons!
        Is Weatherspoons Coronation Street's version of Wetherspoons?

Comment

• french frank
          Administrator/Moderator
          • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Conchis View Post
          I think someone who had lived in Britain during the last fifty or so years would have had to have made a conscious effort NOT to know who David Bowie was. Said effort would have involved avoiding all news on television and radio, turning one's eyes away from newspaper stands, (latterly) staying off the internet and blocking one's ears when in the vicinity of 'pop' radio.
          A very different example! Bowie was living at the same time as me, making news. But by the time he appeared (active 1962-2016 according to Wikipedia) I had lost all interest in popular music. That's my experience.

But Kafka??? From the 1980s onwards (when she would have been 20) what would she have been needing to read? What study? I'm personally ashamed at how little I know (or understand!) about 20th-c. scientific discoveries. I don't expect people to know the things I know.

I think the answer is : empathy. Trying to imagine what someone else has experienced and feels.
          It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• cloughie
            • Dec 2011

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post
            I think that you're on your own in this opinion.

Not that that has ever stopped you before.
            Hey Big Boss Man, I thought your role was to smoothe the waters not stir the pot!

Comment

• cloughie
              • Dec 2011

Is Weatherspoons Coronation Street's version of Wetherspoons?
              No just a spelling mistake! But I’m sure if they took over the Rovers It would attract Kafka readers who like cheaper beer!

Comment

• LMcD
                • Sep 2017

Originally posted by french frank View Post
                A very different example! Bowie was living at the same time as me, making news. But by the time he appeared (active 1962-2016 according to Wikipedia) I had lost all interest in popular music. That's my experience.

But Kafka??? From the 1980s onwards (when she would have been 20) what would she have been needing to read? What study? I'm personally ashamed at how little I know (or understand!) about 20th-c. scientific discoveries. I don't expect people to know the things I know.

I think the answer is : empathy. Trying to imagine what someone else has experienced and feels.

Well said!
                One of my fellow charity shop volunteers actually had the nerve to admit to having read, and enjoyed, 'Fifty Shades of Grey', but my attitude towards her hasn't changed in the slightest. Perhaps I should learn to be more discriminating...?

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
                  Gone fishin'
                  • Sep 2011

...but not snobs!
                  Conchientious objectors?
                  [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• Pulcinella
                    Host
                    • Feb 2014

Conchientious objectors?
                    Brilliant!

Comment

• Dave2002
                      • Dec 2010

Well said!
                      One of my fellow charity shop volunteers actually had the nerve to admit to having read, and enjoyed, 'Fifty Shades of Grey', but my attitude towards her hasn't changed in the slightest. Perhaps I should learn to be more discriminating...?
                      You should beware of me too.

I sometimes read some or all of the following: Metro, The Evening Standard, The Daily Mirror, The Sun, The Daily Express, The Telegraph, The Guardian, The Times - mostly online, but sometimes in paper formats.

However, the thing which really makes me a snob is that I hardly ever read the football pages, and if I'm making a fire they're the first to go on it.
                      Last edited by Dave2002; 26-02-19, 12:32. Reason: tidy up quote

Comment

• cloughie
                        • Dec 2011

Conchientious objectors?
                        Cleethophiles?

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
                          Gone fishin'
                          • Sep 2011

Cleethophiles?
                          It's Grimsby up North.

Comment

• french frank
                            Administrator/Moderator
                            • Feb 2007

[/B]

I remember a friend once telling me that his secretary (who I did not know) said that she and her fiancé watched blue movies. We both marvelled at this. Fortunately, since I was unlikely to meet her (or recognise her if I bumped into her by accident) I was not obliged stare at her, shy away from her, ostentatiously look away or in any way mark my shock and disapproval. I simply registered the fact that two respectable young people watched blue movies. Well, there's a thing.
                            It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• cloughie
                              • Dec 2011

It's Grimsby up North.
                              Not forgetting Immingham!

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
                                Gone fishin'
                                • Sep 2011

Originally posted by french frank View Post
                                Well, there's a thing.
                                ... as they often commented whilst watching said movies.

Comment

Working...
                                X