X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • pastoralguy
    • Nov 2010

Bruno Ganz has died...

Very sad news. My first experience of him was in 'Wings of Desire'.

RIP, Herr Ganz
  • johncorrigan
    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by pastoralguy View Post
    Very sad news. My first experience of him was in 'Wings of Desire'.

RIP, Herr Ganz
    I so loved 'the American Friend' (Der amerikanische Freund) - probably the first time I encountered Bruno Ganz and Wim Wenders, and certainly Ripley. Wonder if the film would stand the test of time - he was a very fine screen presence - I loved 'Wings of Desire'.

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
      Gone fishin'
      • Sep 2011

It's so long since I last saw WoD that I'd forgotten he was in it (and the Jonathan Harker in Nosferatu, ending the film chillingly). A superb actor - I hope he enjoyed the parodies of his astonishing performance in that scene as much as everyone else did: they couldn't have worked with anything less powerful to be based on.

[FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• pastoralguy
        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post
        It's so long since I last saw WoD that I'd forgotten he was in it (and the Jonathan Harker in Nosferatu, ending the film chillingly). A superb actor - I hope he enjoyed the parodies of his astonishing performance in that scene as much as everyone else did: they couldn't have worked with anything less powerful to be based on.

Alas, according to The Times obituary, he was frustrated with the parodies of 'that scene'. He found portraying Hitler to be a very disturbing experience.

Comment

• french frank
          Administrator/Moderator
          • Feb 2007

Originally posted by pastoralguy View Post
          Alas, according to The Times obituary, he was frustrated with the parodies of 'that scene'. He found portraying Hitler to be a very disturbing experience.
          I can understand that. I saw a photo of him with his obituary and he looked so relaxed and 'normal' that I can well imagine it must have been a strain. Who'd be an actor?

It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

Working...
          X