X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Dave2002
    • Dec 2010

End of the A380

Sad this. The A380 is the best long distance plane I’ve ever been on, and much quieter inside than the competition. Maybe Airbus will make another plane which will be profitable and also comfortable and relatively quiet.

European aerospace giant Airbus said it would end production of the A380 superjumbo, the double-decker jet which earned plaudits from passengers but failed to win over enough airlines to justify its massive costs.
  • Eine Alpensinfonie
    Host
    • Nov 2010

When I saw this post, I thought: “Oh, not more disruption on the Exeter-Torquay road.

Comment

• ardcarp
      Late member
      • Nov 2010

Me too!

Comment

• Bryn
        Banned
        • Mar 2007

Originally posted by Eine Alpensinfonie View Post
        When I saw this post, I thought: “Oh, not more disruption on the Exeter-Torquay road.
        Much prefer A380-1 myself, stopping off at the Labrador Bay RSPB reserve. A shame the number 11 bus does not have a stop there.

Comment

• Richard Tarleton

Originally posted by Dave2002 View Post
          Sad this. The A380 is the best long distance plane I’ve ever been on, and much quieter inside than the competition. Maybe Airbus will make another plane which will be profitable and also comfortable and relatively quiet.

https://www.rte.ie/news/business/201...80-superjumbo/
          I think Boeing are already making it - the Dreamliner, it's also smaller and able to fly to any airport, as opposed to hubs which mean you have to catch another, smaller plane to get where you want to go. Unless you actually want to go to the place served by the hub, that is Not that I've flown in either, but we did see a Dreamliner on the runway at Menorca's tiny airport.

Comment

• Dave2002
            • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Richard Tarleton View Post
            I think Boeing are already making it - the Dreamliner, it's also smaller and able to fly to any airport, as opposed to hubs which mean you have to catch another, smaller plane to get where you want to go. Unless you actually want to go to the place served by the hub, that is Not that I've flown in either, but we did see a Dreamliner on the runway at Menorca's tiny airport.
            Nope - sorry. I've been on Dreamliners, but they're not as pleasant as the A380. I have also been on some terribly noisy 777s. The Dreamliner has the odd thing of windows which don't have the pull down blinds, but are electrically controlled. As planes go they're not bad - amongst the best. Mostly I seem to be on Airbus 319/320s these days - alright for short distances, but no good for long haul.

Boeing don't seem to care too much about the internal noise of their planes - though perhaps my judgement is a little harsh there. Maybe noise cancelling headphones do help - I do find long flights affect my hearing.

Comment

• gurnemanz
              • Nov 2010

We flew Etihad to Australia a couple of years ago. The Abu Dhabi leg was on the A380. I took a photo of this massive machine through the window of the departure area and was reluctant to believe that it could possibly get off the ground. I agree with Dave that it was a great flying experience.

Comment

• Dave2002
                • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Richard Tarleton View Post
                ... as opposed to hubs which mean you have to catch another, smaller plane to get where you want to go. Unless you actually want to go to the place served by the hub, that is
                Trains are a bit like that too. HMG seems to think that everyone wants to go to London, hence HS2 if it ever gets built (and for once I actually agree with Jacob RM - that it's a waste of money) will rush through Buckinghamshire, yet serve nobody in that county. Eurostar is similar - used to go to Waterloo, but then the terminus was moved to St Pancras - thus completely anulling the benefits of the slightly quicker service, for people living south of the Thames. Cross country services - which could be more helpful to many potential passengers are often very poor. The balance of capacity vs frequency is often badly handled too for many rail services, so many people just give up and drive instead - which is (arguably!) OK for those who are able to, or still able to - options which may reduce as one gets older.

Comment

• alycidon
                  • Feb 2013

I thought that this was about the road as well. Now, if it had been a railway locomotive...
                  Money can't buy you happiness............but it does bring you a more pleasant form of misery - Spike Milligan

Comment

• vinteuil
                    • Nov 2010

... help! Where will I get my piston springs in the future??

Comment

Working...
                    X