X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Dave2002
    • Dec 2010

Pollini ...???

Maurizio Polliini is scheduled to perform at the RFH in March. I'd like to hear him, but I also hear that he has "form" and won't actually turn up.
    Is that likely to be the case, and would the RFH give any refunds if I bought a ticket and he did not come and play?
  • HighlandDougie
    • Nov 2010

I don't think of MP as a serial non-appearer along the lines of, say, Martha Argerich or Michelangeli. I've seen him a few times and, as far as I know, it wasn't a body double playing Beethoven (or whoever) - it certainly sounded like the real deal. I think that ill-health made him cancel concerts in 2012 but I think that I'm right in saying that he's given up fags so, health-wise, he might have a few years left in him yet . But, he's in his late '70s so possibly a greater risk than if it were his son. Anyway, I'm sure that the RFH would refund what you paid if the concert had to be cancelled. And, you only live once so why not throw caution to the winds and buy a ticket (if you can get one) - you won't regret it.

Comment

• Barbirollians
      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by HighlandDougie View Post
      I don't think of MP as a serial non-appearer along the lines of, say, Martha Argerich or Michelangeli. I've seen him a few times and, as far as I know, it wasn't a body double playing Beethoven (or whoever) - it certainly sounded like the real deal. I think that ill-health made him cancel concerts in 2012 but I think that I'm right in saying that he's given up fags so, health-wise, he might have a few years left in him yet . But, he's in his late '70s so possibly a greater risk than if it were his son. Anyway, I'm sure that the RFH would refund what you paid if the concert had to be cancelled. And, you only live once so why not throw caution to the winds and buy a ticket (if you can get one) - you won't regret it.
      They have to refund you if they don’t turn up .

Comment

• teamsaint
        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Barbirollians View Post
        They have to refund you if they don’t turn up .
        Not barter but Bartoli.....
        I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

• Richard Tarleton

I'd say it depends on what else you stand to lose....when Argerich cancelled on me, in Cardiff, playing a concerto, they replaced her with Kyung-Wha Chung (playing the violin, I hasten to say), so mild disappointment as I'd never seen MA but a great concert, and only a car journey. Bartoli (twice, at the last minute) in London a different matter, the Barbican coughed up for the concert, but not for the train journey, dinner, overnight accommodation, parking in Swansea........

Comment

• Tony Halstead
            • Nov 2010

(Argerich) cancelled on me
            Were you the concert promoter?

Comment

• Barbirollians
              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Tony View Post
              (Argerich) cancelled on me
              Were you the concert promoter?
              I have been lucky - booked three times to see Argerich and she turned up every time and was downright sensational every time.

Comment

• Stanfordian
                • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Barbirollians View Post
                I have been lucky - booked three times to see Argerich and she turned up every time and was downright sensational every time.
                I've seen Argerich twice and she was outstanding each time. I have to say I was slightly anxious with others saying she had a reputation for cancelling.

I admire Pollini but I've not seen him in concert.

Comment

Working...
                X