Clear All
  • Zucchini
    • Nov 2010

Mirga G-T signs exclusively to Deutsche Grammophon

This is certainly a piece of good news for the CBSO (and of course, Mirga):

>
    From Stephen Maddock, CBSO Chief Executive

Dear xxxx

We are excited to be able to share news of the CBSO’s recording plans with Mirga Gražinytė-Tyla as part of today’s announcement that Mirga has become the first female conductor to sign with the prestigious record label Deutsche Grammophon. She joins a select group of other world-leading conductors who already record on the label – Gustavo Dudamel (Music Director of the Los Angeles Philharmonic), Yannick Nézet-Séguin (Music Director of New York’s Metropolitan Opera and the Philadelphia Orchestra), and former CBSO Music Director Andris Nelsons.

Our first recording together will feature a collection of orchestral works by Polish composer Mieczysław Weinberg, whose centenary falls this year. The album’s centrepiece will be Weinberg’s Symphony No.21 “Kaddish” featuring the CBSO, Kremerata Baltica and CBSO artist in residence Gidon Kremer – and it also includes the early Symphony No.2 performed by Kremerata Baltica. Future plans include an album of major British works which will be released over the orchestra’s centenary period.

Announcing the partnership, Deutsche Grammophon President Dr Clemens Trautmann commented “Mirga has made a profound impression with the CBSO, introducing new repertoire and shining new light on works from the symphonic mainstream. I’m sure her first DG recordings will reach out to new audiences and set benchmarks for innovative programming.”

Mirga added “It’s very exciting that our partnership will document some of the musical adventures that the fabulous CBSO and I are about to embark on together and will celebrate the orchestra’s centenary with an album of landmarks of 20th-century British music. I look forward to this thrilling collaboration with DG and to the musical discoveries we can make together.”

This is great news for Mirga and by extension for the CBSO. Deutsche Grammophon is arguably the world’s most prestigious record label, so we’re thrilled to be announcing these plans while also maintaining other recording projects including our ongoing Schubert symphonies cycle with Edward Gardner on Chandos.

Read the full story on our website.

With best wishes

Stephen Maddock
    <
  • Edgy 2
    • Jan 2019

Roll on May

“Music is the best means we have of digesting time." — Igor Stravinsky

Comment

• Edgy 2
      • Jan 2019

Due 3rd May

“Music is the best means we have of digesting time." — Igor Stravinsky

Comment

• Zucchini
        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Edgy 2 View Post
        Due 3rd May

I'm at Symphony Hall the day before for Mirga/Pat Kop/CBSO performing Weinberg, Tchaikovsky VC, Firebird. One I've been looking forward to - & I'm sure the CD will be on sale ...

Comment

• LeMartinPecheur
          • Apr 2007

Originally posted by Zucchini View Post
          I'm at Symphony Hall the day before for Mirga/Pat Kop/CBSO performing Weinberg, Tchaikovsky VC, Firebird. One I've been looking forward to - & I'm sure the CD will be on sale ...
          Zucchini: could you pick up one for me? I was at the concert when the Kaddish symphony was recorded so I feel I'm owed one

Seriously, I may well buy a copy in due course but have to say that while the work and performance were impressive on the night, I'm not sure about the distinctiveness of Weinberg's invention. The friends I went with expressed doubts that night, and the point was proved on me next day when I was played an item of the net. manged to ask if it was Weinberg but completely failed to spot that it was the work we'd heard

There seemed to be an element of overkill in the performance set-up too. We had Kremer in his own special spot on the platform playing splendidly, when W appears to have wanted the leader to take the solos (and just the one orchestra!), and there were two sopranos, a boy chorister as well as the female singer stipulated in the score. But hey, if it sells the disc, the work and the composer I guess it's all good?
          I keep hitting the Escape key, but I'm still here!

Comment

Working...
          X