• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Sydney Grew
    Banned
    • Mar 2007

Originally posted by Lat-Literal View Post
    Would it be possible to see your final list if and when it is completed?

I think it would be interesting to consider.
    You're right; it is time to make an index of surnames.

And thanks to edashtav for his recent additions.

I've now listed ninety-six composers, the latest of whom is Donald Tovey. There must therefore exist well over a hundred good piano quintets, because some men wrote more than one.

My two most striking recent discoveries have been those of Oja and Różycki - does any one know them? - but all the ones I have included have some quality of beauty or interest.

Of course any one is free to add quintets I have left out.

Comment

• edashtav
      • Jul 2012

I do know the Ludomir Różycki, Sydney, and find it powerful and moving.

After getting to grips with it, I ordered a Polish Import of his ballet,"Pan Twardowski".
      That was a different kettle of dancing devils. Great to dance to, perhaps, but trivial and as fluffy as Delibes.
      Not my brew!

Comment

• edashtav
        • Jul 2012

I 'm determined to push you over the 100 composers, Sydney.
        But... it's difficult.
        One success:
        Norman O'Neill (Theatre Composer) Piano Quintet in E minor op 10 (1902/3).
        f.p. Steinway Hall February, 1903 with Brodsky 4-tet and Adine Ruckert [one of Norman's wives]

Of this, The Globe opined:"Mr. Norman O’Neill, from whose works the programme of the concert which Mdme. Adine O’Neill gave at the Steinway Hall last night was drawn, is composer whose serious aims and real talent have already won him a considerable name in London. The two most important works given last night were a set of variations for piano, violin, and violoncello on the, old English song. Pretty Polly Oliver, which was admirably played by Mdme. O’Neill, Mr. Arthur Bent, and Mr. Herbert Walenn, and a piano quintet in E minor, in which the strings were by Messrs. E. Hopkinson and A. Hobday. Both works are clearly and cleverly written, the themes are attractive, and they are developed a way that betokens a true musician. "

I understand that Percy Buck wrote a "fine" piano quintet, but I cannot confirm that.
        Last edited by edashtav; 07-02-19, 11:58. Reason: Additional info.

Comment

• Sir Velo
          • Oct 2012

Ah Delibes! What delightful confections his Coppelia and Sylvia are!

Comment

• edashtav
            • Jul 2012

Originally posted by Sir Velo View Post
            Ah Delibes! What delightful confections his Coppelia and Sylvia are!
            Chacun...

I heartily recommend Pan Twardowski to you , but... you may find Ludomir's Piano Quintet a little turgid!

Comment

• edashtav
              • Jul 2012

Jonathan Dove piano quintet(2009) available on CD
              Has anybody mentioned Hans Pfitzner's ?
              J.Cliffe Forrester won a 'supplementary' Cobbett prize for his quintet!
              Last edited by edashtav; 07-02-19, 12:15.

Comment

• Stanfordian
                • Dec 2010

Engelbert Humperdinck - Piano Quintet in G major (1875)

Comment

• edashtav
                  • Jul 2012

André Caplet Conte Fantastique for Piano Quintet or Harp Quintet.

Comment

• edashtav
                    • Jul 2012

Sydney Grew: your prayers have been answered.

Here's a 61 p. pdf with more 'New' quintets that those we have listed already:

As they say on Dragons' Den, "I'm out."

Comment

• ahinton
                      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Sydney Grew View Post
                      Didn't I hear it on the wireless a few years ago? Or was that the first of two?
                      If (as seems to be the case) you mean my own piano quintet, no, you couldn't have done as it has yet to be performed - and it is my only one. If you mean Sorabji's, the first of his two was broadcast on Netherlands Radio back in 2003 (Quatuor Danel / Frank Peters).

Comment

• edashtav
                        • Jul 2012

Originally posted by ahinton View Post
                        If (as seems to be the case) you mean my own piano quintet, no, you couldn't have done as it has yet to be performed - and it is my only one. If you mean Sorabji's, the first of his two was broadcast on Netherlands Radio back in 2003 (Quatuor Danel / Frank Peters).
                        Are there any plans to have your Quintet performed, ahinton?

Comment

• ahinton
                          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by edashtav View Post
                          Are there any plans to have your Quintet performed, ahinton?
                          Not at present, sadly. It's a big work of, I'd guess, some 85 minutes (which doesn't help, I guess), the first of its four movements written in 1980/81 and then it was put in cold storage until resumption of work on it in 2005; it was completed in 2010.

Comment

• edashtav
                            • Jul 2012

Not at present, sadly. It's a big work of, I'd guess, some 85 minutes (which doesn't help, I guess), the first of its four movements written in 1980/81 and then it was put in cold storage until resumption of work on it in 2005; it was completed in 2010.
                            There was a time when I thought Arnold Bax's quintet was big! Yours is a leviathan: almost a concert in itself. Perhaps, it would leave a few minutes for the strings to add a Grosse fuge but if Sorabji influences your structures, you may have covered that 'base'.

Comment

• Stanfordian
                              • Dec 2010

Originally posted by edashtav View Post
                              There was a time when I thought Arnold Bax's quintet was big! Yours is a leviathan: almost a concert in itself. Perhaps, it would leave a few minutes for the strings to add a Grosse fuge but if Sorabji influences your structures, you may have covered that 'base'.
                              Frank Bridge piano quintet has surely been mentioned.

I must add that the recording of the Bax piano quintet coupled with the Frank Bridge piano quintet played by Ashley Wass (piano) and The Tippett Quartet on Naxos is one of my favourite works.

Comment

• jayne lee wilson
                                Banned
                                • Jul 2011

Still (expensively) available, surely time for a reasonably-priced download on Qobuz or somewhere....

Comment

Working...
                                X