• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • french frank
    Administrator/Moderator
    • Feb 2007

Originally posted by vinteuil View Post
    ... yes, it was (as ever) excellent. He's so good with his audiences.

In my childhood, the biscuits we had : ginger nuts, garibaldi ("squashed flies"), digestives, fig rolls. As an occasional treat, bourbons or plain chocolate digestives. As a rare extra-special treat, florentines.

Surely you also had Bath Olivers? [We had Huntley & Palmers Breakfast biscuits too]
    It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• cloughie
      • Dec 2011

Originally posted by french frank View Post
      Surely you also had Bath Olivers? [We had Huntley & Palmers Breakfast biscuits too]
      Plain or chocolate?

Comment

• Rjw
        • Oct 2012

I really liked the Huntley and Palmer Breakfast biscuit, is there anything available that resembles them¿

Comment

• ardcarp
          Late member
          • Nov 2010

I always thought of Bath Olivers as biscuits of the upper classes, whereas custard creams...... definitely non-U. I loved them as a kid.

Comment

• french frank
            Administrator/Moderator
            • Feb 2007

Originally posted by cloughie View Post
            Plain or chocolate?
            To be honest, I thought it was taking things a bit far when I saw Chocolate Olivers in Waitrose. I don't think Bath Olivers are really sweet biscuits so didn't feel it was quite right to coat them in chocolate.

Rjw - I loved the Breakfast biscuits too. The crunchiness and taste were unique. I wish there were something exactly the same. Accept no substitutes.
            It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
              Gone fishin'
              • Sep 2011

Originally posted by ardcarp View Post
              I always thought of Bath Olivers as biscuits of the upper classes, whereas custard creams...... definitely non-U. I loved them as a kid.
              Even more reason for you to hear tonight's Carlisle Mark Steel, ardy.
              [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• Keraulophone
                • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Dave2002 View Post
                No longer the season for them, but before Christmas one can eat lussekatter
                You can still eat them in this country (just!) because Anglicans have extended the Christmas season to last for a full forty days, ending with the Feast of the Presentation on 2 February. (That’s how we get through our extensive Christmas and Epiphany repertoire in the cathedral, e.g. all four Poulenc Christmas motets at last Sunday’s Evensong.)

Saffron buns (with clotted cream) were once reserved for Good Friday, but Cornish bakeries and Methodist ‘Tea-treats’ have long forgotten that tradition.

Comment

• MickyD
                  • Nov 2010

Originally posted by HighlandDougie View Post
                  Micky

Thanks for the advice - gratefully received. I've lived in France for almost 10 years, am (alas) over 60 but speak reasonably good French (as no-one hereabouts speaks much English, life would be challenging if I couldn't explain that I wanted the satellite dish lined up with the azimuth for Astra 28.2E etc etc). Given that I am being messed around by the Préfecture des Alpes-Maritimes at the moment (not for any bad reason but I think that they are simply overwhelmed with applications/interviews etc), I will need a stiff drink - or three - before thinking about the naturalisation process. Or some music to strengthen my resolve - Rameau sees like a good idea. Anyway, I drink to your success

As to the use of the newly-fashionable lard in baking, the recent experience of grating 150g of the stuff, even straight from the freezer, to make cheese straws (along with 150g of similarly grated butter) was enough to make me swear that I would never make anything again in which it featured as an ingredient. Madeleines, even with the stress of making the perfect beurre brun, are child's play by comparison.
                  You should definitely apply, Dougie! It's just all the form-filling and waiting for months on end that tries one's patience, but I would think you have a very good dossier in order to be considered. If you need any help about which forms to fill in etc, don't hesitate to send me a private message...I would be very happy to oblige. And yes, I cannot think of any better inspiration to do this than to listen to Rameau - lots of it!

Comment

• Dave2002
                    • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Keraulophone View Post

Saffron buns (with clotted cream) were once reserved for Good Friday, but Cornish bakeries and Methodist ‘Tea-treats’ have long forgotten that tradition.
                    I can just remember the time when you could only get hot cross buns on Good Friday.

Comment

• oddoneout
                      • Nov 2015

Originally posted by Keraulophone View Post
                      You can still eat them in this country (just!) because Anglicans have extended the Christmas season to last for a full forty days, ending with the Feast of the Presentation on 2 February. (That’s how we get through our extensive Christmas and Epiphany repertoire in the cathedral, e.g. all four Poulenc Christmas motets at last Sunday’s Evensong.)

I think Andrew Carwood mentioned this in last night's R3 concert?
                      Somewhat ironic in view of the way the Church of the Retail Giant has extended the celebrations of the Feast of Conspicuous Consumption so far forward of Christmas;let's hope they don't catch up on this extension the other way....

Comment

• Pulcinella
                        Host
                        • Feb 2014

I can just remember the time when you could only get hot cross buns on Good Friday.
                        I think that you can get other things on a Good Friday too, Dave.

(Sorry: one for Pedants' Paradise perhaps: I'm an 'only' vulture!)

Comment

• Dave2002
                          • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Pulcinella View Post
                          I think that you can get other things on a Good Friday too, Dave.

(Sorry: one for Pedants' Paradise perhaps: I'm an 'only' vulture!)
                          Nice ambiguous sentence, eh!

Though perhaps less ambiguous if you consider that most/many shops did close on GF in times gone by, and there were no/hardly any supermarkets.

Comment

• Pulcinella
                            Host
                            • Feb 2014

Nice ambiguous sentence, eh!

Though perhaps less ambiguous if you consider that most/many shops did close on GF in times gone by, and there were no/hardly any supermarkets.
                            And indeed my pedantry was not correct anyway: you can only get them (you can't eat them)?
                            I remember being surprised my first year in Canada seeing the bishop's wife in the local 7--11 store buying something on a Good Friday: it was a regular (indeed exam) day at the university, but I was on my way to sing in some service or other.

Comment

• cloughie
                              • Dec 2011

And pubs didn’t open in some counties!

Comment

• Rjw
                                • Oct 2012

When I was a pupil at Winchcombe Junior we collected rose hips each autumn. All the children handed in their harvest in the school hall. I imagine it was a way of getting enough hips to produce the rose hip syrup that provided the nation's children with vitamin C during the war and the decade after it. Anyway we were paid for our hips, I received 2d which I spent on two Royal Scot biscuits. A very nice breaktime biscuit, especially so because my mother would never allow me any money for a breaktime biscuit!

Bring back the Royal Scot.

Comment

Working...
                                X