• Show
Clear All
  • french frank
    Administrator/Moderator
    • Feb 2007

Originally posted by ardcarp View Post
    You mean, like piscine?
    From Latin piscina = fish pond
    It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• Padraig
      • Feb 2013

Originally posted by french frank View Post
      From Latin piscina = fish pond
      That's what I thought too f f. I once thought of using 'piscator' as my user name, being an angler, don't you know.
      But I also go along with Caliban's telling point above, that in more than 30 years of regular use of our Baths I have not had any health issues arising.
      I would add that in my case I have gained an extra circle of acquaintances from nearly all parts of the city, though the Baths is situated in what is commonly called the Bogside area. And that includes the staff there. We are all 'one big family', and before Christmas swimmers and staff combined to save the life of one of us (87) who had had a cardiac arrest while swimming. (He is now out and about after a spell in hospital). Good for body and spirit.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
        • Dec 2010

Originally posted by ardcarp View Post
        You mean, like piscine?
        He means urine it all together.

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
          Host
          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Padraig View Post
          ... and before Christmas swimmers and staff combined to save the life of one of us (87) who had had a cardiac arrest while swimming. (He is now out and about after a spell in hospital). Good for body and spirit.
          Good to know that it ended well.

Comment

• Constantbee
            • Jul 2017

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post
            Describes pretty accurately the problem with the former swimming pool at one of the local schools. (Many years ago, they gave up trying to treat it, and instead drained it and built a new Music department over the top of it.)
            Remember Charles Haslewood’s documentary about modern American music (BBC4 2 March 2018) ‘Tones, Drones And Arpeggios: The Magic Of Minimalism’? It was a fine programme well received here by forumites Anyway, he demonstrates some techniques on a piano located in an (empty) swimming pool (his own?). Must have acoustic benefits.

Snorkelling for me this year
            And the tune ends too soon for us all

Comment

• Padraig
              • Feb 2013

Originally posted by Eine Alpensinfonie View Post
              Good to know that it ended well.
              On behalf of my fellow swimmer, thank you E A. Much appreciated coming from the Captain of the Swimming Team.

Comment

• ardcarp
                Late member
                • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Constantbee View Post
                Remember Charles Haslewood’s documentary about modern American music (BBC4 2 March 2018) ‘Tones, Drones And Arpeggios: The Magic Of Minimalism’? It was a fine programme well received here by forumites Anyway, he demonstrates some techniques on a piano located in an (empty) swimming pool (his own?). Must have acoustic benefits.
                I was accompanying a choir at a concert in a large old Baptist Church. I was partly using the organ and partly the piano which had been placed at floor level in front of the choir. At the rehearsal I noticed the piano+me wobbling rather oddly as I played. I mentioned this to a choir-member who blenched visibly and said, "Quick. Let's move it." Which we did. We rolled back a rug to reveal the double trap-door which covered the baptismal pool. It could have ended badly!

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
                  Gone fishin'
                  • Sep 2011

[FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

Working...
                  X