Originally posted by greenilex View Post
    I saw wild cyclamen in the mountains
    Were they Mamils?

OG

Comment

• ardcarp
      Late member
      • Nov 2010

Alps, thank goodness there's someone else on this Forum who actually likes swimming! I wondered for a moment if I were some sort of freak....don't answer that anyone.

Comment

• Lat-Literal
        • Aug 2015

Originally posted by Eine Alpensinfonie View Post
        It took me a long time to have the confidence not to drown when I took my feet off the bottom of the pool.

But when I went to secondary school, the establishment had its own pool (33 & 1/3 yards long, but with curved corners that restricted its usefulness). But as we one of only a few school with its own pool, we used to win most interschool contests. I became a bog-standard member of the school swimming team, but never actually won a race until I was in the 6th form, after which I was made team captain, possibly because I was proficient in all 4 strokes.

On leaving school, I only swam occasionally, but at the grand age of 56, joined the local "masters" swimming club, and won the over 40s trophy. If fact, I still hold the honour technically, as the club folded when the pool closed.

When I do go swimming, I'm still very competitive, always trying to outdo the others in the pool.
        33 and a third with curved corners - that's what we used to call an LP.

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
          Host
          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Lat-Literal View Post
          33 and a third with curved corners - that's what we used to call an LP.

Comment

• Richard Tarleton

I no longer go near swimming pools after expensive, prolonged and painful treatment to get rid of verrucas acquired at a leisure centre pool...(I'm an expert on the available treatments, and any/all the stuff you buy over the counter in chemists is completely useless, as is the GP recommendation these days of putting duck tape on them till they fall off ) - ultimately a local foot doctor did the job with industrial strength chemicals not available over the counter.

I love swimming, but sea only these days and the conditions have to be perfect - basically, the Mediterranean......

Comment

• ardcarp
              Late member
              • Nov 2010

I'm afraid my 'pool' is the English Channel, which may get up to 20 degrees on a good day in France...but seldom above 18 in the UK. (It's about 12/13 degrees at the moment.) I only use swimming pools very occasionally with grandchildren in tow...or rather in the lead. Never mind the verrucas, a recent statistic suggested an average swimming pool has approx one dustbin-full of urine in it! Yuk.

Comment

• MrGongGong
                • Nov 2010

It would be churlish not to mention the ubiquitous (and wonderful) Kerry at this point

Saturday 17th August & Sunday 18th August, 2013   Tête à Tête   We’re delighted to announce that Kerry Andrew’s Dart’s Love won the Best Stage Work Award in the 2014 British Composer Awards. We commissioned and developed Dart’s Love and produced the premiere in our 2013 Tête à Tête: The Opera Festival.   Genesis … Continued

Comment

• french frank
                  Administrator/Moderator
                  • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Old Grumpy View Post
                  Were they Mamils?

OG
                  Had to look it up, but
                  It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• Old Grumpy
                    • Jan 2011

Lots round here, especially on Sunday mornings!

Comment

• ardcarp
                      Late member
                      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by MrGongGong View Post
                      It would be churlish not to mention the ubiquitous (and wonderful) Kerry at this point

https://www.tete-a-tete.org.uk/event/darts-love/
                      Very happy memories (over 30 years ago, I guess) of skinny dipping in the Dart on a late summer's evening after doing a concert in Buckfast Abbey. Absolutely idyllic but don't tell the monks.

Comment

• french frank
                        Administrator/Moderator
                        • Feb 2007

Originally posted by ardcarp View Post
                        Very happy memories (over 30 years ago, I guess) of skinny dipping in the Dart on a late summer's evening after doing a concert in Buckfast Abbey. Absolutely idyllic but don't tell the monks.
                        My next door neighbour hails from Devon and he said their family Christmas tradition is to take a dip in the Dart. Um … yes Not at Christmas, anyway …
                        It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• Stanfordian
                          • Dec 2010

I'm afraid my 'pool' is the English Channel, which may get up to 20 degrees on a good day in France...but seldom above 18 in the UK. (It's about 12/13 degrees at the moment.) I only use swimming pools very occasionally with grandchildren in tow...or rather in the lead. Never mind the verrucas, a recent statistic suggested an average swimming pool has approx one dustbin-full of urine in it! Yuk.
                          Hello Ardcarp,

I was a keen swimmer but I have been completely put off by the similar matters you mention.

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                            Host
                            • Nov 2010

Since permanently dodging the toad work, I make a point of getting a 30-40 minutes swim in every week - I find it remarkable for eliminating the odd muscular ache and pain... to coin a phrase, I feel like a new man after a swim (no volunteers thanks )
                            "...the isle is full of noises,
                            Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
                            Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
                            Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• ardcarp
                              Late member
                              • Nov 2010

Hello Ardcarp,

I was a keen swimmer but I have been completely put off by the similar matters you mention.
                              You mean, like piscine?

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                                Host
                                • Nov 2010

You mean, like piscine?
                                ... I'm reasonably confident the two pools within easy cycling distance of where I live are relatively clean. Certainly the changing rooms are cleaned practically constantly, and in what will shortly been 3 years of regular visits, I've never had any health/verruca issues.

Being able to choose the time to go is crucial - the 'golden hour' is between 3 & 4pm, before the kids' lessons. Sometimes there are only one or two other people in there - in fact, just after Christmas, I arrived to dimmed lights and a completely empty pool. I called to the lifeguard to check it was actually open; it was, and I enjoyed 20 minutes with the whole pool to myself, before someone else arrived...
                                "...the isle is full of noises,
                                Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
                                Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
                                Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

Working...
                                X