• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • french frank
    Administrator/Moderator
    • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
    I developed a terrible phobia about water after my mother decided to dip me below the surface without prior mentioning holding my breath in an open air swimming pool at about the age of 3 - one of the few early experiences I can remember vividly.
    I was paddling in the sea on holiday at Polzeath, also aged about 3. The waves were, well, bigg-ish (since I was very small). I fell over on my face and struggled to get up - and still remember the salt water pouring into my nostrils and thence down into my mouth. My mother was watching me from the beach and said the water was only a couple of inches deep: she didn't feel it was necessary to go down and pick me. But to me it was "the day I almost drowned".
    It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• Jonathan
      • Mar 2007

I'm rubbish at swimming. Last year we had the intention of learning to scuba dive so obviously, the best thing to do for me was to be able to swim. My partner is a superb swimmer (she swam a mile aged 9) so we went along to our local pool and she was teaching me. This was fine until I got a verruca and it persisted and then the pool closed on the day which we used to go (it's a community pool). I'd got to the stage where I could do 20 lengths and (almost) not die! Then I lost my job so the idea of learning to scuba dive ended due to lack of finances. We're planning to try again next year so back to the pool on the one evening a week it's still open...
      Best regards,
      Jonathan

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
        Gone fishin'
        • Sep 2011

Originally posted by greenilex View Post
        ... a rough greenish overspill ...
        Describes pretty accurately the problem with the former swimming pool at one of the local schools. (Many years ago, they gave up trying to treat it, and instead drained it and built a new Music department over the top of it.)
        [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• Lat-Literal
          • Aug 2015

Has anyone ever thought of deliberately making the water in swimming pools coloured?

Red or yellow or emerald green?

Comment

• vinteuil
            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post
            Describes pretty accurately the problem with the former swimming pool at one of the local schools. (Many years ago, they gave up trying to treat it, and instead drained it and built a new Music department over the top of it.)
            ... ah! there is a God!

Comment

• vinteuil
              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Lat-Literal View Post
              Has anyone ever thought of deliberately making the water in swimming pools coloured?

... in my father's studio there was a jar of fluorescein in its brown powder form. Fluorescein is the green/yellow colouring you see in a spirit level. Like potassium permanganate, a tiny bit of the solid form can colour vast amounts of liquid. I think half an ounce wd have made our local swimming pool bright green. I was tempted. So tempted....

Comment

• Lat-Literal
                • Aug 2015

Originally posted by vinteuil View Post
                ... in my father's studio there was a jar of fluorescein in its brown powder form. Fluorescein is the green/yellow colouring you see in a spirit level. Like potassium permanganate, a tiny bit of the solid form can colour vast amounts of liquid. I think half an ounce wd have made our local swimming pool bright green. I was tempted. So tempted....

It would have been excellent, that, v.

I can see a market for it.

Emerald green for a pool in the Glastonbury area, yellow for a custard vibe and red is obviously at the horror movie pool.

We can have sound effects and everything - just like on a ghost train or in a monastery.

Comment

• french frank
                  Administrator/Moderator
                  • Feb 2007

Or they could paint the walls of the swimming pool - most pools seem to be that pale, turquoisey colour.
                  It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• Lat-Literal
                    • Aug 2015

Originally posted by french frank View Post
                    Or they could paint the walls of the swimming pool - most pools seem to be that pale, turquoisey colour.
                    Or both these things.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                      • Dec 2010

yellow for a custard vibe
                      Just imagine - swimming in Advocaat!

Comment

• teamsaint
                        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
                        Just imagine - swimming in Advocaat!
                        Not a snowballs chance in hell of that happening.
                        I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                          • Dec 2010

Originally posted by teamsaint View Post
                          Not a snowballs chance in hell of that happening.

Only in cases of custard and practice!

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
                            Gone fishin'
                            • Sep 2011

You'd have to pay attention to the safety Warninks.
                            [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• greenilex
                              • Nov 2010

Just keep egging us all on...

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
                                Host
                                • Nov 2010

It took me a long time to have the confidence not to drown when I took my feet off the bottom of the pool.

But when I went to secondary school, the establishment had its own pool (33 & 1/3 yards long, but with curved corners that restricted its usefulness). But as we one of only a few school with its own pool, we used to win most interschool contests. I became a bog-standard member of the school swimming team, but never actually won a race until I was in the 6th form, after which I was made team captain, possibly because I was proficient in all 4 strokes.

On leaving school, I only swam occasionally, but at the grand age of 56, joined the local "masters" swimming club, and won the over 40s trophy. If fact, I still hold the honour technically, as the club folded when the pool closed.

When I do go swimming, I'm still very competitive, always trying to outdo the others in the pool.

Comment

Working...
                                X