X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • alycidon
    • Feb 2013

Screen Clutter on Television

First of all we had the channel number/name in the corner of the screen - which I don’t mind as it can be useful at times. What is really getting my goat - and my goat is very easily got! - is the practice of showing a forward programme alongside the channel logo. As I write, Channel 4 is on, and there at top left are the words ‘Shipwrecked - 3 days to go’!

This seems to be just another way that the TV companies ride roughshod over the viewer and IMO it is extremely cavalier. What do others think?
    Money can't buy you happiness............but it does bring you a more pleasant form of misery - Spike Milligan
  • ferneyhoughgeliebte
    Gone fishin'
    • Sep 2011

You mean - whilst the programme you want to watch is being broadcast, there's a bit of the screen showing part of a forthcoming programme that you might not want to watch in any case (and certainly don't want to look at it whilst the programme you do want to is actually playing)???

This seems insane! (Yet another reason to keep to the i-Player - or 4 o-D in this case.)
    [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• alycidon
      • Feb 2013

Not the actual programme, ferney - just the title, but I find it annoying. Where is it going end?
      Money can't buy you happiness............but it does bring you a more pleasant form of misery - Spike Milligan

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
        Gone fishin'
        • Sep 2011

Originally posted by alycidon View Post
        Not the actual programme, ferney - just the title, but I find it annoying. Where is it going end?
        Oh yes - I think I know what you mean; usually towards the end of a programme, a "Next On" pop-up curls its way at the top corner of the screen in what is no doubt meant to be an endearing fashion, but which reminds me of nothing other than the Microsoft Paperclip, of cursed memory.

Comment

• alycidon
          • Feb 2013

But it isn’t a pop-up towards the end - it would be churlish to object to that. The ones I see are permanent throughout the length of the episode.

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
            Gone fishin'
            • Sep 2011

But it isn’t a pop-up towards the end - it would be churlish to object to that. The ones I see are permanent throughout the length of the episode.
            Oh - I'm very pleased to say that I've never encountered this ... initiative.

Comment

• alycidon
              • Feb 2013

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post
              Oh - I'm very pleased to say that I've never encountered this ... initiative.
              You obviously watch sensible programmes, ferney. I am talking ‘you’ve been framed’ in particular. Hangs head in shame.....

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                • Dec 2010

You obviously watch sensible programmes, ferney. I am talking ‘you’ve been framed’ in particular. Hangs head in shame.....
                Two other things annoy me in addition: 1) Concluding a particular drama or film by squeezing the credits into the left-hand side to relay the item to come, often with a voice over the music theme; and 2) Having running commentaries from emailers, tweeters and others along the bottom of the screen, so that the attention thus divided between what they say and the on-screeen action, particularly conversation, means only half taking the information on board.

As for inessential, inappropriate or over-loud backing music in documentaries, don't get me started!

Comment

• alycidon
                  • Feb 2013

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
                  Two other things annoy me in addition: 1) Concluding a particular drama or film by squeezing the credits into the left-hand side to relay the item to come, often with a voice over the music theme; and 2) Having running commentaries from emailers, tweeters and others along the bottom of the screen, so that the attention thus divided between what they say and the on-screeen action, particularly conversation, means only half taking the information on board.

As for inessential, inappropriate or over-loud backing music in documentaries, don't get me started!
                  I’m with you on all those, SA.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                    • Dec 2010

I’m with you on all those, SA.
                    In all three cases the television companies reply by saying "We have lots of people raising this matter in our postbag" or words to that effect, but never any pledge to get rid of such practices. So-called audience feedback is a complete myth these days: Auntie does what Auntie says, and you can either like it or lump it.

Comment

• LMcD
                      • Sep 2017

In all three cases the television companies reply by saying "We have lots of people raising this matter in our postbag" or words to that effect, but never any pledge to get rid of such practices. So-called audience feedback is a complete myth these days: Auntie does what Auntie says, and you can either like it or lump it.
                      I genuinely believe that they want to hear from us. I also genuinely believe that they have no intention of replying, let alone taking any notice or doing anything- they just like to know that we're out there.
                      A faint ray of hope: Andrew Davies's excellent adaptation of 'Les Miserables' is thankfully not as swamped with 'background' music as some other recent offerings.

Comment

• french frank
                        Administrator/Moderator
                        • Feb 2007

Originally posted by LMcD View Post
                        I genuinely believe that they want to hear from us.
                        Certainly on radio - it fills the airwaves very cheaply as they don't have to pay any contributors. And the journalists comb Facebook and Twitter for useful quotes and clips, which they can do from their office desks without having to go out and find people to interview.
                        It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
                          Gone fishin'
                          • Sep 2011

1) Concluding a particular drama or film by squeezing the credits into the left-hand side to relay the item to come, often with a voice over the music theme;
                          That is so annoying: you've seen an actor whose name you can't for the life of you remember, so wait for the credits to roll to find out - only for the information to be squeezed out of legibility! Why doesn't Equity do something about this: an all-out strike until all members have received fair and rightful billing?

Yes - I know the information's on the website; THAT'S NOT THE POINT!!!

Comment

• LMcD
                            • Sep 2017

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post
                            That is so annoying: you've seen an actor whose name you can't for the life of you remember, so wait for the credits to roll to find out - only for the information to be squeezed out of legibility! Why doesn't Equity do something about this: an all-out strike until all members have received fair and rightful billing?

Yes - I know the information's on the website; THAT'S NOT THE POINT!!!
                            There's also the problem that credits often shoot up the screen at a positively frantic pace!

Comment

• MickyD
                              • Nov 2010

If they did but know it, the increase in the practices mentioned above are slowly alienating the very audiences they hope to attract. I am so disenchanted with television in general nowadays that I barely switch on.

Comment

Working...
                              X