X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Dave2002
    • Dec 2010

Links to - for example - Guardian pages

Sometimes I click on links from here to pages in the Guardian or Telegraph or other news outlets.

The Guardian links often try to persuade me to donate, to keep their journalism alive. As I do read the links often enough I wouldn't mind making a modest donation, but if I were to do that would the nag pages asking me to donate disappear? I would be more inclined to make a donation to such papers etc. if I knew that from then on, for at least (say) a year, I would not be nagged again.

Does anyone know - with respect to either of the papers mentioned, or indeed for any others? Presumably if the nags disappear this would either be by logging in and having an account (tedious) or by cookies.
  • Pulcinella
    Host
    • Feb 2014

Dave

My partner donates to the Guardian, and tells me that the requests don't go away.
    You're probably right: you'd have to create an account and log in.

Comment

• Dave2002
      • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Pulcinella View Post
      Dave

My partner donates to the Guardian, and tells me that the requests don't go away.
      You're probably right: you'd have to create an account and log in.
      Doesn’t encourage me to be generous then, does it?

I’ll think about this. Maybe if I do have an account it’ll get easier. That’s what happened on another web site which I donated to - my id is recognised, and “adverts - what adverts?”.

Comment

• Mal
        • Dec 2016

I have a Guardian account, still get the notifications, but I haven't paid. The lack of clarity about what you get by paying put me off! But the account is no more tedious to juggle than FOR3, you only have to log in once then it's automatic, and you can join in the arguments in the Guardian forums!

Comment

• Bella Kemp
          • Aug 2014

I would be more inclined to donate were it not for the fact that the editor of The Guardian is paid over £350,00 per annum and the finance director over £400,000. Their more humble employees are paid far less, of course.

Comment

• french frank
            Administrator/Moderator
            • Feb 2007

I pay my £49 pa to read the Guardian regularly. As long as I'm logged in (or is it just the cookies?), I don't get asked. I seem to remember the first time I accessed a story from the MacBook the requests appeared again, but once I logged in they stopped.
            It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• french frank
              Administrator/Moderator
              • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Bella Kemp View Post
              I would be more inclined to donate were it not for the fact that the editor of The Guardian is paid over £350,00 per annum and the finance director over £400,000. Their more humble employees are paid far less, of course.
              If you have a television, you 'donate' a lot more to the BBC even though the D-G earns £450,000. If I were to buy the Guardian every day t would cost a lot more. In the end, it's the kind of journalism you want to support or it isn't. If I read it, I pay for it.
              It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• Bella Kemp
                • Aug 2014

Yes, I think you're right french frank, and one needs to support the hard-strapped press. I still think, though, that it would reflect well on aforementioned editor and finance director if they would accept a pay cut. They are, after all, working for a paper that has the best of intentions in campaigning for a fairer society and they could set a good example.

Comment

Working...
                X