Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Richard Tarleton

Originally posted by Sir Velo View Post
    Avant la lettre perhaps? He would separately have been King of Scotland and King of England & Ireland (which would have incorporated the principality).
    "James Francis Edward, otherwise the Chevalier de St George, who was now recognised by true Jacobites as King James VII of Scotland and III of England, and who later came to be known by supporters of the House of Hanover as the 'Old Pretender'...." (Daiches).

(Just noticed ferney's edits )

Anyway, it was all very sad

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
      Gone fishin'
      • Sep 2011

Ha! After Harold II, they're ALL FRAUDS!!!!
      [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• vinteuil
        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post

On this day, in 1685, James II/VII becomes King - the last "officially recognised" Roman Catholic monarch of what became known in the reign of his daughter as the UK; .
        ... no, fernet-branca.

Not good enough. It was not officially 'the United Kingdom' - still less 'the UK' - under Queen Anne.

• In 1603 King James VI of Scotland, of the House of Stuart, inherited the English crown and thereby became King James I of England, giving the two kingdoms a single monarch.
        • In 1707 an Act of Union signalled a deeper unification of the two kingdoms. The single kingdom was called the Kingdom of Great Britain. It was noted in the Act as a “united kingdom” (though the word “united” was not part of the official term) and its people
        were called “British”.
        • In 1801, by a new Act of Union, Ireland was joined to the union to form the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Ireland.
        • In 1922 the Irish Free State (later to become Ireland) was formed by 26 of the 32 counties of Ireland; as a result the 1801 union title was no longer applicable and since 1927 the union has been termed the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland.

... I have yet to find out when the abbreviation (or is it an acronym?) 'UK' entered the language. Not, I'm sure, during the reign of Queen Olivia Colman.

Last edited by vinteuil; 06-02-19, 15:02.

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
          Gone fishin'
          • Sep 2011

"Good enough" for me.

Comment

• vinteuil
            • Nov 2010

"Good enough" for me.
            ... o that ferneygoodenoughgeliebte, get him!

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
              Gone fishin'
              • Sep 2011

Just call me "Boris"!

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
                Gone fishin'
                • Sep 2011

Just call me "Boris"!
                Oh!

On second thoughts - please don't!

Comment

• cloughie
                  • Dec 2011

Oh!

On second thoughts - please don't!
                  Karl off!

Comment

• vinteuil
                    • Nov 2010

Just call me "Boris"!
                    ... o, our ferney's Годуно́в for me...

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
                      Gone fishin'
                      • Sep 2011

February 7th

St Collette of Corbie's Day - in honour of the early 15th Century French founder of the Order of the Poor Clares; she is the patroness of women wishing to conceive, pregnant women, and sick children.

Edward I proclaims his seven year-old son Edward the new Prince of Wales - the first son of an English monarch to fill this role (1301); supporters of Gitolano Savonarola create a "Bonfire of the Vanities" (cosmetics, artworks, and books are burned) in Florence (1497); Mozart's Die Schauspieldirektor is premiered in Vienna (1786); Lalo's is premiered in Paris, with Sarasate playing the solo (1875); Emile Zola's trial for libel (after publishing J'Accuse) begins (1898); the San Francisco Plague epidemic begins in the Chinatown district of the city - the first such epidemic in the United States, exacerbated by the Mayor's refusal to acknowledge the epidemic as such for fear of damaging trade in the city (1900); Walt Disney;s Pinocchio is premiered (1940); the Central Committe of the Communist Party of the Soviet Union accepts Chairman Gorbachev's recommendation that the Party give up its monopoly on power (1990); the Maastricht Treaty is signed by representatives of the member states of the European Communities (1992); and in 2013, the State of Mississippi officially certifies the 13th Ammendment (the one that abolished slavery).

Birthdays today include: the Empress Matilda (1102); Thomas More (1478); Henry Fuseli (1741); Charles Dickens (1812); Laura Ingalls Wilder (1867); Wilhelm Stenhammar (1871); Sinclair Lewis (1885); Eubie Blake (1887); Buster Crabbe (1908); Hattie Jacques (1922); Dora Bryan (1923); John Buller and Laurie Johnson (both 1927); Kevin Crossley-Holland (1941); Pete Postlethwaite (1946); and Eddie Izzard (1962).

Last days for William Boyce (1779); Ann Radcliffe (11823); Henry E Steinway (1871); Sheridan Le Fanu (1873); and Witold Lutoslawski died 25 years ago today.

And fifty years ago today, the morning schedules on Radio 3 were:

Overture (gramophone records)
                      Morning Concert BBCSSO conducted by James Lockhart
                      This Week's Composer: Monteverdi
                      Orchestral Concert (on gramophone records, but in Stereo!)
                      Music Making: the Aeolian S4tet, with Peter Wallfisch (piano), Kenneth Essex (viola), and Terence Weil ('cello).

Comment

• Lat-Literal
                        • Aug 2015

St Collette of Corbie's Day - in honour of the early 15th Century French founder of the Order of the Poor Clares; she is the patroness of women wishing to conceive, pregnant women, and sick children.

Edward I proclaims his seven year-old son Edward the new Prince of Wales - the first son of an English monarch to fill this role (1301); supporters of Gitolano Savonarola create a "Bonfire of the Vanities" (cosmetics, artworks, and books are burned) in Florence (1497); Mozart's Die Schauspieldirektor is premiered in Vienna (1786); Lalo's is premiered in Paris, with Sarasate playing the solo (1875); Emile Zola's trial for libel (after publishing J'Accuse) begins (1898); the San Francisco Plague epidemic begins in the Chinatown district of the city - the first such epidemic in the United States, exacerbated by the Mayor's refusal to acknowledge the epidemic as such for fear of damaging trade in the city (1900); Walt Disney;s Pinocchio is premiered (1940); the Central Committe of the Communist Party of the Soviet Union accepts Chairman Gorbachev's recommendation that the Party give up its monopoly on power (1990); the Maastricht Treaty is signed by representatives of the member states of the European Communities (1992); and in 2013, the State of Mississippi officially certifies the 13th Ammendment (the one that abolished slavery).

Birthdays today include: the Empress Matilda (1102); Thomas More (1478); Henry Fuseli (1741); Charles Dickens (1812); Laura Ingalls Wilder (1867); Wilhelm Stenhammar (1871); Sinclair Lewis (1885); Eubie Blake (1887); Buster Crabbe (1908); Hattie Jacques (1922); Dora Bryan (1923); John Buller and Laurie Johnson (both 1927); Kevin Crossley-Holland (1941); Pete Postlethwaite (1946); and Eddie Izzard (1962).

Last days for William Boyce (1779); Ann Radcliffe (11823); Henry E Steinway (1871); Sheridan Le Fanu (1873); and Witold Lutoslawski died 25 years ago today.

And fifty years ago today, the morning schedules on Radio 3 were:

Overture (gramophone records)
                        Morning Concert BBCSSO conducted by James Lockhart
                        This Week's Composer: Monteverdi
                        Orchestral Concert (on gramophone records, but in Stereo!)
                        Music Making: the Aeolian S4tet, with Peter Wallfisch (piano), Kenneth Essex (viola), and Terence Weil ('cello).
                        You have taken on a marathon exercise with this, ferney, and well done for doing so. It is never less than interesting.

However, I feel there should be regular imaginative feedback and can find myself floundering, much to my annoyance.

I almost commented on 5 February that both Neymar and Ronaldo were born on that day but decided against it on the basis that it was too celeb. And, oddly, almost immediately after posting links to the Buddy Holly plane crash last Sunday, I "walked" into a special feature on it on 5 Live's "Virtual Jukebox" which doesn't say much about the originality in my mind.

The "Famous Birthdays" website reveals that today is also the birthday of Aaron Doh, Tiktok star, 23, Youtube stars Winky Face "The Movie", Tae Caldwell, Remi Cruz, Gabbie Hanna, Jacksepticeye and LaToya Forever, 15, 19, 23, 27, 28 and 31 respectively, pop singers Bea Miller and David Scarzone, 19 and 22, and Instagram star Jeremy Meeks, 34. So whether or not I should be organising the BBC schedules and programme content rather than just sitting here musing, I can't help but think that we are all luckily living in a totally different world.

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
                          Gone fishin'
                          • Sep 2011

Thanks, Lats - and each new day is meant as a starting point for any further events that Forumistas know of that I haven't included, or further anecdotes/comments about features that I have mentioned.

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
                            Gone fishin'
                            • Sep 2011

February 8th

Propose Day - in India and Nepal, when swains (and "swainesses" [?"swainettas"?]) pop the question. It's also St Aefflaed's Day - the late Seventh Century Nun, who was the second Abbess of Streoneshalh (Whitby) Abbey after the death of St Hild; and (on the other end of the country) St Cuthmann's; the hermit who looked after his invalided mother; reduced to begging, they lived a vagrant life, and he had to pull her around in a wheelbarrow with ropes attached. When the ropes broke and he could go no further, he decided that this was a sign for him to build a church where they were; this became known as St Andrew's in Steyning. Christopher Fry's 1938 play The Boy With a Cart commemorates the story.

And on this date, Mary, Queen of Scots was executed at Fotheringay Castle (1587); the Earl of Essex attempts a rebellion against Elizabeth I (1601); the Russo-Japanese War begins, and on exactly the same day, Sibelius' Violin Concerto is premiered in Helsinki (1904); Schönberg's 1st Chamber Symphony is premiered in Vienna (1907); Rachmaninoff conducts the World Premiere of his Second Symphony in Moscow (1908); D W Griffuth's pro-Ku Klux Klan film The Birth of a Nation is premiered (1915); Gee Jon, a Chinese national, becomes the first person in the United States to be executed by lethal gas - an initial experiment to pump gas into his prison cell whilst he was sleeping having failed, prison officials ordered the building of an air-tight room specifically for the execution, creating the first Gas Chamber (1924); Bartok's 3rd Piano Concerto is premiered in in Philadelphis, four months after the composer's death, and with the final 17 bars orchestrated by Tibor Serly (1946); the East German secret police, the Stasi, is created (1950); in 1962,nine Trades Unionists are killed by police during a demonstration in Paris - head of police is Maurice Papon, who had been promoted by the Vichy collaborationist government, and who was vigorous in his repression of civil disorder (in 1998, Papon would be found guilty of Crimes Against Humanity, for his role in deproting 1600 Jewish citizens to Nazi extermination camps); commercial transactions with Cuba are made illegal by the Kennedy Administration (1963); and the final Skylab mission comes to an end (1974).

Birthdays today include: André Grétry (1741); John Ruskin (1819); William Tecumseh Sherman (1820); Jules Verne (1828); Dmitri Mendeleev (1834); Kate Chopin (1850); Franz Marc (1880); Edith Evans (1888); King Vidor (1894); Elizabeth Bishop (1911); Bill Finger (1914); Lana Turner (1921); Jack Lemmon (1925); John Williams (the film bloke, 1932); Elly Ameling (1933); Roger Lloyd-Pack (1944); and John Grisham (1955).

Last days for Giuseppe Torelli (1709); Peter the Great (1725); Peter Kropotkin (1921); Giles Gilbert Scott (1960); Iris Murdoch (1990); and, two years ago today, Alan Simpson.

And the Radio 3 schedules for the morning of Thursday, 8th February, 1979:

Overture: three Chopin Impromptus (Rubinstein), and Tchaikovsky's Second Suite for Orchestra (NPO/Dorati)
                            Morning Concert: Schumann's Konzertstuck (4 horns), Berwald's Sinfonie capricieuse, and aria from Cosi fan Tutte
                            This Week's Composer: William Boyce
                            A Piano Recital by Gwenneth Pryor (Beethoven Sonata Op2 #3; Debussy Etudes; Schumann Carnaval )
                            Bavarian RSO: Schubert 2nd Symphony; Bruckner 2nd Symphony (with an interval talk on Bruckner given by Robert Simpson)

bliss was it in that dawn to be alive, but to be young was very heaven
                            Last edited by ferneyhoughgeliebte; 08-02-19, 01:06.

Comment

• Lat-Literal
                              • Aug 2015

Also on this day, Buddy Holley became Buddy Holly without an e when he signed in 1956 to Decca Records. In '03, the faux-lesbian duo t.A.T.u. reached No 1 in the UK with "All The Things She Said," thereby becoming the only Russian act ever to top the chart. In 1979 Stephen Stills became the first rock performer to record on digital. In 1977, Television released their debut album, Marquee Moon. It didn't chart in the US but it was later hailed by many critics as landmark, with a guitar sound that influenced a number of New Wave and rock acts.

And while I begin to read up on those interesting saints in ferney's post, some of whom I have already taken to, I shall have one of the greatest groundbreaking rock tracks of all time:

......….I thank you!
                              Last edited by Lat-Literal; 08-02-19, 02:32.

Comment

• greenilex
                                • Nov 2010

Interesting that the blockade of Cuba started at this time of year...I wonder whose holiday plans might have been disrupted?

We are told about the new group to solve the Venezuela problem, but there has not been much reference to ALBA, the group of left-wing countries in the region.

Comment

Working...
                                X