How's the weather? Today is St Vincent's Day:

Remember on St Vincent's Day
    If the sun his beams display
    Be sure to mark the transient beam
    Which through the casement sheds a gleam
    For 'tis a token bright and clear
    Of prosperous weather all the year.
    (Looking good around here! )

Unity Day in Ukraine, and it is exactly a hundred years ago today the Act Zluky ("Unification Act") uniting (in name at least) the Ukrainian Republic with the West Ukrainian Republic was signed.

In 1968, Apollo 5 takes the first Lunar Module into space, and exactly five years later, Apollo 17 completes the last-ever (so far) expedition to the Moon and back.

In 1905, unarmed workers petitioning the Tsar to protest at working and living conditions were shot dead by the Imperial Guard outside the Winter Palace in St Petersburg, sparking the 1905 Revolution.

In 1924 Ramsey MacDonald becomes the first Labour Prime Minister of the UK.

Walter Raleigh (1552) John Donne (1573), Byron (1788), Antonio Gramsci (1891), Sergei Eisenstein (1898), Henri Dutilleux (1916) and John Hurt (1940) are amongst the birthdays - and it's exactly a year ago today that Ursula Le Guin died.

And, in Poland, it's Grandfather's Day!
    [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
      Gone fishin'
      • Sep 2011

Oooops!!

And, on 22nd January, 1989, the pre-Noon R3 schedule was

Stuttgart Chamber Orch (Handel "Water Music" Suite #2)
      Louis Kentner (Liszt, Mozart, Lyapunov, Chopin)
      Your Concert Choice (Boyce, Haydn, Smetana/Szell, Schumann)
      Music Weekly
      BBCSSO in Canada (Mozart "Vespers", Elgar "Music Makers")

Comment

• eighthobstruction
        • Nov 2010

bong ching

Comment

• Edgy 2
          • Jan 2019

22/1/1859

1st public performance of Brahms 1st piano concerto in Hannover with the man himself as soloist.

Not off the top of my head,just been listening to Zimerman,VPO,Bernstein
          “Music is the best means we have of digesting time." — Igor Stravinsky

Comment

• vinteuil
            • Nov 2010

... and 22 January 1970, the first commercial flight of the Boeing 747. Seems like yesterday.

It revolutionized mass tourism perhaps more than anything else.

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
              Gone fishin'
              • Sep 2011

Originally posted by Edgy 2 View Post
              22/1/1859
              1st public performance of Brahms 1st piano concerto in Hannover with the man himself as soloist.
              Not off the top of my head,just been listening to Zimerman,VPO,Bernstein

I, too, have recently been enjoying the Brahms Piano Concertos (both of 'em) - recordings by Gilels/BPO/Jochum, Bishop and/or Kovacevich/LSO/Davis, Barenboim/NYPO/Mehta. Rubinstein/Vars to follow soon.

Comment

• cloughie
                • Dec 2011

M
                Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post
                Oooops!!

And, on 22nd January, 1989, the pre-Noon R3 schedule was

Stuttgart Chamber Orch (Handel "Water Music" Suite #2)
                Louis Kentner (Liszt, Mozart, Lyapunov, Chopin)
                Your Concert Choice (Boyce, Haydn, Smetana/Szell, Schumann)
                Music Weekly
                BBCSSO in Canada (Mozart "Vespers", Elgar "Music Makers")
                Now there’s a thought to spruce up Essential Classics - how about the last hour being ‘Your Concert Choice’ with full works choice by listeners.

Comment

• Mal
                  • Dec 2016

"Remember on St Vincent's Day
                  Of prosperous weather all the year."

Brilliant sunshine this morning and a blizzard this afternoon! What does that mean?

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                    • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Mal View Post

Brilliant sunshine this morning and a blizzard this afternoon! What does that mean?
                    It could mean that you are Mal contented!

Comment

• oddoneout
                      • Nov 2015

Originally posted by cloughie View Post
                      M

Now there’s a thought to spruce up Essential Classics - how about the last hour being ‘Your Concert Choice’ with full works choice by listeners.
                      Trouble is, by the time it had been through the R3 creative management process it would be a mixtape compiled from random items on the EC Playlist!

Comment

• cloughie
                        • Dec 2011

Originally posted by oddoneout View Post
                        Trouble is, by the time it had been through the R3 creative management process it would be a mixtape compiled from random items on the EC Playlist!
                        ...and there was I thinking it was a simple request to 'Skelly'll fix it'.

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
                          Gone fishin'
                          • Sep 2011

Originally posted by Mal View Post

It means that the sunshine beam was indeed "transient" ( = "lasting only a short time"), so look forward to a year of decent weather, Mal.

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
                            Gone fishin'
                            • Sep 2011

January 23rd

Formerly used in the Roman Catholic Church to celebrate the Espousal of Mary & Joseph, today is now World Freedom Day in Taiwan & South Korea, to commemorate the victims of the Korean War - Americans have to wait until November 9th, when "Freedom" generally is celebrated.

And happy Bounty Day to all Forumistas living on Pitcairn Island - celebrating the settling on the island in 1790 of the mutineers of HMS Bounty. (They'd actually landed on the island a week earlier, but today was the date when they decided to stay, burning the ship to demonstrate that their travels were over. Model boats are symbolically burnt in today's celebrations.)

Birthdays today include Muzio Clementi (1752), Marie-Henri Bayle (1783 - better known by his nom de plume, "Stendhal"), Edouard Manet (1832), Django Reinhardt (1910) and Derek Walcott (1930).

Last days for John Field (1782), Arthur Nikisch (1922), Edvard Munch (1944), Paul Robeson (1976), and exactly a year ago today, Hugh Masekela died.

And the morning schedules on R3 this day forty years ago:

Overture (Rossini, Castelnuovo-Tedesco - his Guitar Concerto: all of it - & Sibelius)
                            Morning Concert (Walton, Poulenc - the complete Organ Concerto - Copland)
                            This Week's Composers ("The Court of Frederick the Great")
                            Beethoven (three complete sonatas, plus the "Prometheus Variations & Fugue played by Bernard Roberts)
                            Works for Brass and Chorus by Locke, Schutz, Altenberg, Scheidt, & Maurer.

Comment

• BBMmk2
                              Late Member
                              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post
                              Formerly used in the Roman Catholic Church to celebrate the Espousal of Mary & Joseph, today is now World Freedom Day in Taiwan & South Korea, to commemorate the victims of the Korean War - Americans have to wait until November 9th, when "Freedom" generally is celebrated.

And happy Bounty Day to all Forumistas living on Pitcairn Island - celebrating the settling on the island in 1790 of the mutineers of HMS Bounty. (They'd actually landed on the island a week earlier, but today was the date when they decided to stay, burning the ship to demonstrate that their travels were over. Model boats are symbolically burnt in today's celebrations.)

Birthdays today include Muzio Clementi (1752), Marie-Henri Bayle (1783 - better known by his nom de plume, "Stendhal"), Edouard Manet (1832), Django Reinhardt (1910) and Derek Walcott (1930).

Last days for John Field (1782), Arthur Nikisch (1922), Edvard Munch (1944), Paul Robeson (1976), and exactly a year ago today, Hugh Masekela died.

And the morning schedules on R3 this day forty years ago:

Overture (Rossini, Castelnuovo-Tedesco - his Guitar Concerto: all of it - & Sibelius)
                              Morning Concert (Walton, Poulenc - the complete Organ Concerto - Copland)
                              This Week's Composers ("The Court of Frederick the Great")
                              Beethoven (three complete sonatas, plus the "Prometheus Variations & Fugue played by Bernard Roberts)
                              Works for Brass and Chorus by Locke, Schutz, Altenberg, Scheidt, & Maurer.
                              I stil think we should have a bank holiday weekend around this time for Rememberance of all theatres of conflict.
                              Don’t cry for me
                              I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                                • Dec 2010

Originally posted by BBMmk2 View Post
                                I stil think we should have a bank holiday weekend around this time for Rememberance of all theatres of conflict.
                                I think the best date for its incorporation as recognition of the suffering of all peoples through war would be May Day.

Comment

Working...
                                X