Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • cloughie
    • Dec 2011

A propos of not very much I spent the afternoon in Penzance, speaking like pirates was not really noticeable - if it wasn’t there, then I think it maybe has not caught on! Cash and credit cards were taken in the shops, but pieces of eight?

Comment

• Joseph K
      Banned
      • Oct 2017

Happy birthday, Liszt.

Comment

• verismissimo
        • Nov 2010

Sorry that you gave up on this fine project, ferney. Best reading of the day.

Comment

• Petrushka
          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by verismissimo View Post
          Sorry that you gave up on this fine project, ferney. Best reading of the day.
          "The sound is the handwriting of the conductor" - Bernard Haitink

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
            Gone fishin'
            • Sep 2011

Thank you both I had to abandon the project after my eye operation made looking at a computer screen for long periods of time difficult. I tried posting a long comment on the Mozart Gran Partita Thread, and it took me ages - and caused some discomfort. The time required to research and double check facts fior this Thread has been beyond me.

Fortunately, the eye is making steady, if slow, progress (the surgeon* was pleased with how things have turned out when I saw him last week) and I've got about 75% of my total vision, so I'm hoping that in another couple of weeks or so, I'll be able to do more (and I might well fill in the missing bits next year).

(* = I nearly wrote "the surgeon gave it the thumbs up", but that sounded a very bad idea!)
            [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• Petrushka
              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post
              Thank you both I had to abandon the project after my eye operation made looking at a computer screen for long periods of time difficult. I tried posting a long comment on the Mozart Gran Partita Thread, and it took me ages - and caused some discomfort. The time required to research and double check facts fior this Thread has been beyond me.

Fortunately, the eye is making steady, if slow, progress (the surgeon* was pleased with how things have turned out when I saw him last week) and I've got about 75% of my total vision, so I'm hoping that in another couple of weeks or so, I'll be able to do more (and I might well fill in the missing bits next year).

(* = I nearly wrote "the surgeon gave it the thumbs up", but that sounded a very bad idea!)
              Understand about the eye situation as I had the same problem when I had mine done in 2011/2012. I had band keratopathy in both eyes and it literally had to be scraped away. You've mentioned difficulty wearing your glasses with an eye patch and I had that problem too.

However, once cleared (about 6 weeks after surgery) there was an amazing improvement. I had to cancel a Prom concert when the second eye was done so wasn't happy about that.

Look forward to the missing dates eventually being completed.
              "The sound is the handwriting of the conductor" - Bernard Haitink

Comment

• Oakapple

Elgar's Cello Concerto was performed for the first time exactly 100 years ago today.

Comment

• verismissimo
                  • Nov 2010

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post

Comment

• greenilex
                    • Nov 2010

Apparently red rose of Lancaster day today...

Comment

• cloughie
                      • Dec 2011

The great Cornish engineer and inventor Richard Trevithick who built the first steam locomotive was born 250 years ago today. Such a pity that this year’s Trevithick Day celebrations which would have taken place in Camborne on 24 April has been cancelled.

Comment

• Keraulophone
                        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by cloughie View Post
                        The great Cornish engineer and inventor Richard Trevithick who built the first steam locomotive was born 250 years ago today. Such a pity that this year’s Trevithick Day celebrations which would have taken place in Camborne on 24 April has been cancelled.
                        Cloughie, join with me and Holman Climax Male Voice Choir in the song that celebrates that historic occasion on Christmas Eve 1801... ‘Up down!’

Comment

• cloughie
                          • Dec 2011

Originally posted by Keraulophone View Post
                          Cloughie, join with me and Holman Climax Male Voice Choir in the song that celebrates that historic occasion on Christmas Eve 1801... ‘Up down!’

https://youtu.be/CgfGLArq_J0
                          Hopefully will be singing it in Symphony Hall with the Cornwall MV Federation Choir., 380 voices - now planned for Sept 2022, having been postponed from Oct 2020.

Comment

• Historian
                            • Aug 2012

St. Tiburtius' Day today, which I learned recently is the traditional first day cuckoos sing (traditional days can differ as migration occurs at slightly different times hence in Worcestershire the first day is April 21st). Trying to remember the last time I heard a cuckoo: it's some time ago.

Comment

• LMcD
                              • Sep 2017

Handel died on April the 14th 1759.

Comment

• Pulcinella
                                Host
                                • Feb 2014

Good to see this thread resurrected.

Unfortunately, 550 years ago this was not a good day for Lancastrians (one of which I claim to be, as Merseyside came later!):

One of the most important battles of the War of the Roses happened on this day 550 years ago when Edward IV and his Yorkist army fought his cousin Richard Nevi

Comment

Working...
                                X