X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • french frank
    Administrator/Moderator
    • Feb 2007

And getting very hastily back on to the subject of Today's the Day: today is April 7 but yesterday I was looking through my holiday snaps from France last month and found, this:

Oh, wait a minute …
    It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• french frank
      Administrator/Moderator
      • Feb 2007

Yesterday I found this (and realised yesterday was the very anniversary of his death in 1199 - but ferney had not missed it) :

ROUEN somewhere:

It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• Dave2002
        • Dec 2010

Originally posted by french frank View Post
        Yesterday I found this (and realised yesterday was the very anniversary of his death in 1199 - but ferney had not missed it) :

ROUEN somewhere:

I guess this one - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Richard_I_of_England

This page is quite helpful too - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...cause_of_death

One can search for a month, and find birthdays as well.

So actually 6th April?

Looks like location is Fontevraud Abbey, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fontevraud_Abbey near Chinon, Anjou - perhaps.

Except could be a copy ... or relocated tomb ... see also https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fontev...TombFntrvd.jpg

Comment

• french frank
          Administrator/Moderator
          • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Dave2002 View Post
          Or you could read the Latin inscription

HIC COR CONDITUM EST RICARDI
          ANGLORUM REGIS QUI COR LEONIS DICTUS
          OBIIT. AN. M. C. XC. IX

so it's only supposed to be his heart, anyway. I was just going to bed last night when I looked at the photo and checked Wiki for the exact day. Seeing it was 6 April, I hurried to my computer to add it to ferney's info - only to find it was already there .

Rouen (the cathedral, I suppose), because that's where I was and the iPhone says Rouen.

And here are all the historical details https://www.atlasobscura.com/places/...embalmed-heart
          Last edited by french frank; 07-04-19, 13:03.

Comment

• vinteuil
            • Nov 2010

... his heart is in Rouen cathedral (well worth visiting, even if the added-on iron spire is a monstrosity; while in Rouen go round the corner to the church of St Ouen which has the best Cavaillé-Coll organ anywhere. Another monstrosity in Rouen is the monument to Joan of Arc... ) ; the rest of his remains are at Fontevraud.

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
              Gone fishin'
              • Sep 2011

Originally posted by vinteuil View Post
              .... his heart is in Rouen cathedral
              Surely it should be in Lyon?!
              [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• french frank
                Administrator/Moderator
                • Feb 2007

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post
                Surely it should be in Lyon?!
                I would say the cœur de Lyon is, very approximately, Lyon-Perrache station.

Comment

• vinteuil
                  • Nov 2010

Originally posted by french frank View Post
                  I would say the cœur de Lyon is, very approximately, Lyon-Perrache station.

... place Bellecour, surely?

Comment

• french frank
                    Administrator/Moderator
                    • Feb 2007

Originally posted by vinteuil View Post
                    ... place Bellecour, surely?
                    Yes. I did say 'very approximately', Perrache being of more interest to me, a rail traveller, than the place Bellecour For the Lyonnais the true Lyon Heart may indeed be Bellecour.

Comment

• french frank
                      Administrator/Moderator
                      • Feb 2007

I now realise I was mixing up Perrache with Lyon Part Dieu. Scrub everything I said since ferney's bon mot.

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
                        Gone fishin'
                        • Sep 2011

April 8th

The Feast Day of St Walter of Pontoise, the patron saint of Prisoners and Vintners - the former because it is said that he took pity on one prisoner and helped him to escape, and because he himself was imprisoned for whistle-blowing the corruption he found in his fellow Benedictines. It's also International Romani Day - celebrating Romani culture and raising awareness of issues facing the Romani way of life. (The fact that there is little agreement on estimates for the number of Romani prisoners murdered by the Nazis - ranging from 200,000 to 1.5million - being perhaps indicative of one such issue, awareness of which needs raising.)

Also on this Date: Winchester Cathedral is consecrated (1093); Llywellyn ap Gruffudd's newly-built Dolforwyn castle is beseiged by the English - and because the Wells hadn't yet been added, the beseiged Welsh quickly run out of water and they surrender (1277); the Shearith Israel ("remnants of Israel"] synogogue is dedicated in New York; the first synagogue in the city, and for the next 95 years, the only one (1730); Catherine the Great annexes Crimea (1783); the Venus de Milo is discovered (1820); John D Lynde receives a patent for his invention of the aerosol dispenser (1862); Ponchielli's La Gioconda is premiered at La Scala, Milan (1876); milk is sold in glass bottles for the first time (1879); Gladstone introduces the First Irish Home Rule Bill to the House of Commons (1886 - it is defeated by 30 votes exactly two months later); Schalk's edition of Bruckner's Fifth Symphony is premiered in Graz (1894); France & Britain sign the Entente Cordiale (1901); Auguste Deter, a 55-year-old patient of Dr Alois Alzheimer and the first person to be diagnosed with his eponymous disease, dies (1906); Varese's Arcana is premiered in Philadelphia, conducted by Stokowski (1927); Shostakovich's ballet The Bolt is premiered in Leningrad (1931); Otto and Elise Hampel, a working class couple from Berlin in their forties, are beheaded by the Nazis for "preparing for High Treason" (1942 - for the previous two years, they have been hand-writing anti-Nazi postcards and leaving them in public places); Bernstein's The Age of Anxiety Symphony is premiered in Boston, with Koussevitsky conducting and the composer playing the piano solo (1949); President Truman nationalises all US steel works in an attempt to prevent a Steel Workers' strike the following day (1952 - two months later, the Supreme Court rules that he has no authority to do so; the Strike is then called, and two months after that, the workers receive the terms they had demanded before the Strike was called); Sandie Shaw easily wins the 1967 Eurovison Song Contest [which she didn't want to take part in] with Puppet on a String [a song she detests]; Jane Harrison, a 22-year-old Air Stewardess from Bradford, dies at her post helping passengers escape from a BOAC aircraft that has caught fire (1968 - she is awarded a George Cross posthumously for her bravery - the only woman ever to receive the GC in peacetime); the Israeli Air Force bomb a primary school in the Egyptian village of Bahr el-Baqar, believing it to be a military installation - 46 children are killed because of this mistake (1970); Clint Eastwood is elected Mayor of Carmel-by-the-Sea, California (1986); the first episode of David Lynch's Twin Peaks premieres on ABC television (1990); Arthur Ashe announces that he has AIDS (1992 - he does so to pre-empt a magazine "exposé", but thereafter works to raise awareness of the disease and its treatment - he dies from complications caused by the disease ten months later); Punch ceases publication after 151 years (also 1992); the Republic of Macedonia, until two years previously part of Yugoslavia, joins the United Nations (1993).

Birthdays Today include: Giuseppe Tartini (1692); Edmund Husserl (1859); Adrian Boult (1889); Mary Pickford (1892); Herbert Eimert (1897); Winnifred Asprey (1917); Franco Corelli (1921); Kumar Gandharva (1924); Jacques Brel (1929); John Kinsella (1932); Vivienne Westwood (1941); James Herbert (1943); Hywel Bennett (1944); Robin Wright (1966); Patricia Arquette (1968); Rachel Roberts (1978).

Final Days for: Lorenzo de Medici (1492); Gaetano Donizetti (1848); Charles August de Beriot (1870); Charles Tomlinson Griffes (1920); Arthur Foote (1937); Marcel Prevost (1941); Vaslav Nijinsky (1950); Pablo Picasso (1973); Marian Anderson (1993); Claire Trevor (2000); Harvey Quaytman (2002); Malcolm McLaren (2010); Margerat Thatcher (2013) and Karlheinz Deschner and Marian Eleanor Foster (both 2014).

And the Radio 3 Schedules for the morning of Saturday, 8th April, 1989 were:

Morning Concert: Rossini Overture: Il Turco in Italia; Debussy Two Arabesques; Rameau Entree pour les guerriers, Air vif, Rigaudons 1&2 (from Dardanus); Rimsky-Korsakov Overture: May Night; Sor Introduction and Variations on "Ye Banks and Braes"; Dvorak The Water Goblin.
                        The Week on 3: highlights from the forthcoming week's broadcasts.
                        Langham Chamber Orchestra: Gluck Symphony in G; Soler Sinfonie concertante; Haydn Symphony No 84 in Eb .
                        Saturday Review: Mozart's Seraglio BaL-ed by Rodney Milnes; releases of Music by Weill, Eisler, Szymanowski, Caplet, and Mozart.

Comment

• greenilex
                          • Nov 2010

Was in Winchester last night...but at St Cross in the water meadows. Good concert with an avian theme, and we collected to Save the Nightingales.

Comment

• Pabmusic
                            • May 2011

Here I am (middle of the back row, white shirt, 'Alfie' glasses) in the Hampshire County Youth Band in a concert in Winchester Cathedral, with an American symphonic wind band. I've played in maybe 15 concerts there in various ensembles. A long time ago

Comment

• Richard Tarleton

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post
                              Sandie Shaw easily wins the 1967 Eurovison Song Contest [which she didn't want to take part in] with Puppet on a String [a song she detests];
                              I didn't know that - I remember watching the actual contest in the smoky TV basement of a student hostel on the southern outskirts of Paris (a short bus ride from the Porte d'Orléans). A jaunty little number - certainly a cut above the other 5 she was forced to sing during the selection process on the BBC (one song a week on whatever the show was, then she had to sing all 6 on the final night when the winning entry was chosen) - she missed her entry when it came to "Puppet" and said "Will you stop the music please" (she had to say it twice) so that she could start again. All went well on the night, happily. Her schtick was singing in bare feet - she certainly looked terrific in her Mary Quant mini dresses.

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
                                Gone fishin'
                                • Sep 2011

Originally posted by Richard Tarleton View Post
                                (one song a week on whatever the show was
                                The ... <ahem> ... Rolf Harris Show.

(We weren't to know.)

Comment

Working...
                                X