X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Richard Tarleton

Originally posted by vinteuil View Post
    ... not another of Mme v's cousins!

By coincidence Mrs T has just started to read Dan Jones's The Plantaganets. When I mentioned that this was part of our family history, she said I was an idiot, which I thought a bit harsh. I hope BBM doesn't have to put up with this at home.

Originally posted by french frank View Post
    ....I've now forgotten how to do Hospital Corners. I think it was making a sort of envelope of the sheet at the corners of the mattress.
    I had it beaten into me at boarding school. But like many another thing (tin openers, bookshops) history has rendered it redundant (duvets, fitted undersheets).

Comment

• teamsaint
      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Richard Tarleton View Post
      By coincidence Mrs T has just started to read Dan Jones's The Plantaganets. When I mentioned that this was part of our family history, she said I was an idiot, which I thought a bit harsh. I hope BBM doesn't have to put up with this at home.

I had it beaten into me at boarding school. But like many another thing (tin openers, bookshops) history has rendered it redundant (duvets, fitted undersheets).
      China seems to have a need for book shops , RT.

Beijing was crowned the Chinese city with most bookstores last year, as the number of bookstores in the city reached 6,719, nearly double the 3,463 of second-place winner Chengdu, according to a list of cities with the most bookstores in China.

And the remaining book stores in the UK are doing ok, if not perhaps booming, helped by a trickle of new store openings.

After a tiny increase in 2017, figures show their ranks swelled by 15 stores last year in the face of ‘an increasingly challenging landscape’
      I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

• edashtav
        • Jul 2012

Originally posted by Richard Tarleton View Post
        By coincidence Mrs T has just started to read Dan Jones's The Plantaganets. When I mentioned that this was part of our family history, she said I was an idiot, which I thought a bit harsh.
        I hope BBM doesn't have to put up with this at home.
        ).
        Dan Jones was a pupil of mine at the Royal Latin School in Buckingham. He was on the Arts side and I taught science. Most of my memories of him are connected with discipline: I was the Deputy and 'Enforcer'. Dan was bright , articulate, and not meek. We crossed swords!

Comment

• Richard Tarleton

Originally posted by teamsaint View Post
          China seems to have a need for book shops , RT.

Beijing was crowned the Chinese city with most bookstores last year, as the number of bookstores in the city reached 6,719, nearly double the 3,463 of second-place winner Chengdu, according to a list of cities with the most bookstores in China.

And the remaining book stores in the UK are doing ok, if not perhaps booming, helped by a trickle of new store openings.

https://www.theguardian.com/books/20...0-year-decline
          Apologies ts, I was being unduly flippant

Comment

• greenilex
            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by cloughie View Post
            Why do you feel that way - you enjoyed it - nobody got hurt, other than possibly some characters in the series - and they were not real anyway.
            It was superbly trashy and when we eventually got to the”and it was all a dream” bit I had already woken up.

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
              Gone fishin'
              • Sep 2011

April 4th

The Feast Day of St Benedict the Moor (1526 - 89), a Franciscan friar, born the son of African slaves in Sicily, he worked as a shepherd as a young man, giving much of his money to the poor. Frequently abused because of his colour and background, his dignified response to these was noted by Jerome Lanze, the leader of a group of hermits, who invited Benedict to join their community. He became first the cook for the community, but within six years had become so respected, that he was invited to take Lanze's place. Following the Pope's disbanding of such hermitages, Benedict joined the Franciscan Order in Palermo. He is the Patron Saint of - amongst others - African Americans, Black People (!); Palermo, and Sicily.

It is also International Day of Mine Awareness and Assistance in Mine Action.

Also On this Date: Francis Drake is knighted aboard his ship The Golden Hind, by Elizabeth I (1581); Charles II proclaims the Declaration of Breda, pardoning all crimes committed during the Civil War and Interregnum by anyone who acknowledges his right to be King (1660); Handel's Israel in Egypt is premiered in London (1739); Napoleon signs the Traety of Fontainebleau, abdicating as Emperor of France, naming his three-year-old son as Napoleon II, and going into exile on Elba (1814); Meyerbeer's penultimate Opera Le pardon de Ploërmel [later retitled Dinorah] is premiered in Paris (1859); the US Congress adopts a suggestion from Captain Samuel Reid, that the US flag should continue to use the number of stars as there are States, but that the number of stripes should be kept at 13, to memorialise the original number of colonies (1818); President Harrison dies of pneumonia 31 days after taking office, becoming simultaneously the first US president to die in office, and the President with the shortest tenure [so far] (1841); Smetana's Vltava is premiered in Prague, conducted by Adolf Cech (1875); an attempt to assassinat the Prince of Wales [later Edward VII] in Belgium fails (1900 - I'm resisting the temptaion to add "as he is in Scotland at the time"); siblings Albert, Harry, Jack and Sam found Warner Brothers Pictures Inc. (1923); American troops liberate the Nazi Extermination Camp in Ohrdruf - part of the Buchenwald network (1945); 12 countries sign the North Atlantic Treaty, setting the foundations of NATO (1949); Villa-Lobos' 10th Symphony, Sumé pater patrium: Sinfonia ameríndia com coros, ["from the fatherland; an Amerindian symphony with choir"] completed four years earlier, is premiered in Paris, conducted by the composer (1957); Gerald Holtam's design for the CND Peace Symbol is used for the first time on the first Aldermaston march from Trafalgar Square to the Atomics Weapons Establishment (1958); Project Ozma, the first scientific experiment to detect extra-terrestrial life, begins at Green Bank Observatory in West Virginia (1960); Ligeti's Aventures is premiered in Hamburg by Ensemble Die Reihe, conducted by Friedrich Cerha (1963); Apollo 6, the last unmanned test launch of the lunar Saturn V rocket was launched at noon (1968 - six hours later, Martin Luther King is murdered in Memphis); the first temporary artificial heart implant operation is carried out in Texas (1969); Steven Sondheim's Follies is premiered on Broadway (1971); the last of 591 US prisoners of the Vietnam War are flown home (1973 - on the same day, the World Trade Centre opens); the first episode of The Good Life is broadcast on BBC1 - and Paul Allen and Bill Gates found Microsoft (1975); the Space Shuttle Challenger makes its first space launch (1983); Winston Smith begins his secret diary (1984); Jack Ma and colleagues found Alibaba Group (1999); the 27-year-long Angolan Civil War ends with the signing of a Peace Treaty between the Angolan government and UNITA rebels (2002); Iranian President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad releases 15 Royal Navy personnel held for interrogation for ten days "as a gift to Britain" (2007); and, this time last year, the 21st Commonwealth Games opened in Australia.

Birthdays today include: Niccolo Zingarelli (1752); Bettina von Arnim (1785); Philippa Fawcett (1868); Pierre Monteux (1875); Muddy Waters (1913); Marguerite Duras (1914); Elmer Bernstein (1922); Peter Vaughn (1923); Maya Angelou (1928); Anthony Perkins and Andrei Tarkovsky (both 1932); Trevor Griffiths (1935); Hugh Masekela (1939); Salvatore Sciarrino (1942 - born in Palermo, so under Benedict's "patronage"); Mary Kelly (1944); Gyorgy Spiro (1946); Cherie Lunghi (1952); Jane Eaglen (1960); Graham Norton (1963); and Piotr Anderszewski is 50 today(1969) and Heath Leger would have been 40 (1979).

Final Days for: Reginold of Eichstätt (991); Alfonso X of Castile (1284); John Napier (1617); Oliver Goldsmith (1774); Ludwig Emil Grimm (1863); John Venn (1923); Karl Benz (1929); Andre Michelin and George Whitefield Chadwick (both 1931); Al Lewis (1967); Martin Luther King (1968); Stefan Wolpe (1972); Zulfikar Ali Bhutto (1979); Gloria Swanson (1983); Kate Roberts (1985); Max Frisch (1991); A1L1F4R1E1D2 M3O1S1H4E1R1 B3U1T1T1S1 (1993); and Kenny Everett (1995).

And the Radio 3 schedules for the morning of Wednesday, 4th April 1979 were:

Your Midweek Choice: Bizet Danse bohemienne ("The Fair Maid of Perth"); Mercadante Flute Concerto in E minor; Borodin In the Steppes of Central Asia; Kreisler Caprice viennois; Svendsen Carnival in Paris; Elgar Civic Fanfare; arr Barbirolli An Elizabethan Suite; Delius Dance for harpsichord; Sullivan Incidental music: Henry VIII.
              This Week's Composer: Falla (Trois Mélodies de Gautier; The Three-Cornered Hat [complete ballet])
              Early English Organ Music: Gibbons A Fancy; Byrd Fantasia ; Pavan and Galliard ("The Earl of Salisbury"); Clarifica me Pater; Fantasia in G; Gibbons Fantasia of four parts
              Philip Martin (piano): Skalkottas Fifteen Little Variations and Suite No 4; Gerhard Three Impromptus, Dos Apunts, Dances from Don Quixote (arr by the composer)
              BBCSSO conducted by Nello Santi: Rossini Overture: II Turco in Italia; Haydn Symphony No 101, in D ("The Clock"); Bizet L'Arlesienne: Suite No 2; Respighi Feste Romane
              [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• french frank
                Administrator/Moderator
                • Feb 2007

A1L1F4R1E1D2 M3O1S1H4E1R1 B3U1T1T1S1

It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• greenilex
                  • Nov 2010

The real question is surely: was Il Moro a good cook, with the ingredients available? What were his specialities?

And hats off to Oliver Goldsmith, whose genius has long been underestimated. But he did go on and on about spectacles, as expensive then as nowadays.

Comment

• Richard Tarleton

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post
                    siblings Albert, Harry, Jack and Sam found Warner Brothers Pictures Inc. (1923)
                    From the archive: seven years later, my cousin Geoffrey's contract with Warner Bros for a non-speaking role ("Lord Northmore" ) in their first technicolor musical, Sweet Kitty Bellairs - a Regency romp. This was a bit of a career change for Geoffrey, having fought in the Boer and First World Wars, in between becoming a gold prospector and fur trapper in Canada, and taking part in the Canadian expeditionary force to help the White Russians in Siberia in 1919. He'd retired to LA in 1923, and was buried there with full military honours when he died in 1937.

Comment

• edashtav
                      • Jul 2012

Philip Martin (piano): Skalkottas Fifteen Little Variations and Suite No 4; Gerhard Three Impromptus, Dos Apunts, Dances from Don Quixote (arr. by the composer)
                      A cunning piece of programming, ferney, taking us back to the early 1930s when both were 12-note friends in Berlin, and forward to times of a sucessful exile and the unhappy return of a native.

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
                        Gone fishin'
                        • Sep 2011

April 5th

John Stow Commemoration Day in London, celebrating the work of the former tailor (1525 - 1605) whose love of history took him away from his trade and led him to a life of writing best-selling books, and, ultimately, poverty. His first work, A Summarie of Englysh Chronicles was published in 1561, and became so successful (eleven editions over the next 40 years) that he gave up tailoring and devoted himself to writing. His most popular book appeared in 1598 - the Survey of London is still a refrence work today, giving an insight, not merely into the lives and activities of the "great" figures in history, but also of the everyday lives and customs of "ordinary" people: it is the first Social History in English, and is still in print today. (The first written account of "Rough Music" - the practice of public shaming of an individual by an angry mob, famous from Hardy's The Mayor of Casterbridge - appears in this work.) Stow's activities and popularity didn't stop him from being the object of suspicion by the Elizabethan state police - who were convinced that a mere Tailor with a huge collection of books must be a man full of seditious purpose: "a suspicious person with many dangerous and superstitious books in his possession". Nor did his popularity prevent his ending his life in poverty - just four years after the second edition of the Survey appeared, he was granted a Licence to Beg.
                        His Memorial is in St Andrew's Church in Leadenhall Street in London - the impressive marble effigy dates from 400 years after his death, and each year a church service is held, attended by the Lord Mayor, during which a quill is ceremoniously put into the hand of the effigy, replacing the one from the year before.

Also on this Date: The Battle on the Ice - in which Alexander Nevsky's Russian forces repel an attempted invasion by the Teutonic Knights (1242); James I of Scotland returns to Scotland after 18 years "detention" in England (1424); 200 Dutch noblemen present the Petition of Compromise demanding a limitation to the persecution of Protestants by their Spanish rulers (1566 - it is ignored, and two years later the Dutch Revolt and the Eighty Years War begins); James VI of Scotland leaves Scotland to become also James I of England (1603); 17-year-old Matoaka - who had taken the name Rebecca on her conversion to Christianity, but who is better known as Pocahontas - marries 29-year-old tobacco planter, John Rolfe in Jamestown, Virginia (1614); the Statute of Anne, a bill assigning copyright to authors and their publishers for a period of 14 years (with an option for an ectention for a further 14 years - after which a work enters the Public Domain) is passed (1710); Jacob Roggeveen discovers Easter island (1722); the British Parliament introduces the "Sugar Tax" reducing the previous rate - which had been largely ignored - by half, but taking steps to ensure that the new rate is collected (1764); the first draught of the Apportion Bill [to limit the number of members of the House of Representatives] is Vetoed by President Washington - the first time the presidential power of Veto is used (1792 - Washington signs the amended Bill five days later); Beethoven's Third Piano Concerto, his Second Symphony, and his Christ on the Mount of Olives are all premiered in the same concert at the Theatre an der Wien in Vienna (1803); the first recorded meteorite in Scotland - one of only four ever recorded in the country - falls in High Possil, Glasgow (1804); Birkenhead Park, designed by Joseph Paxton, and the world's first publicly-funded civil park opens (1847); the Battle of Yorktown in the American Civil War begins (1862); Strauss' Die Fledermaus is premiered at the Theatre an der Wien (1874); Oscar Wilde drops his libel case against the Marquis of Queensberry, and is ordered to pay Queensberry's costs, which bankrupts him (1895); archaeologists excavating in Knossos discover a number of clay tablets with a previously unknown type of cuneiform writing which they call "Linear B" (1900); Ricardo Vines gives the first public performances of Ravel's Jeaux d'Eau and Pavan pour une Infanta Defunte (1902 - on the same day, the Western Tribute stand of Ibrox Stadium in Glasgow collapses during a match between England and Scotland, killing 25 spectators and injuring more than 500 others); Wigan hosts the first Rugby International: England vs "Other Nationalities" [Welsh and Scots] (1904); 35 Jewish residents of the Polish city of Pinsk are murdered by the Polish Army (1919); President FD Roosevelt signs an executive order forbidding US citizens from hoarding gold (1933); Karl Schumers, commander of the Nazi occupying forces in Kastoria in Greece, orders the murder of 270 Greek citizens [the majority of them women, children, or elderly] from the viallage of Kleisoura in reprisal at the killings of three German soldiers - the citizens are either shot in their homes, which are then burnt to the ground, or in the streets as they attempt to flee (1944); Lou Harrison conducts the first performance of Ives' Third Symphony in New York (1946 - 36 years after it was written); 77 people are killed in a fire at St Anthony's Hospital in the city of Effingham in Illinois (1949); Winston Churchill's last day as Prime Minister (1955); Mourners gathered in Tiananman Square to protest at the removal of tributes to late President Zhou Enlai are attacked by security forces, and 4000 of them are arrested (1976 - on the same day, Harold Wilson retires as Prime Minister); Tippett's The Mask of Time is premiered in Boston (1984); Libyan agents bomb the La Bell discotheque in Berlin [popular with American servicemen in West Berlin], killing 3 people and injuring 229 others (1986); Peruvian prsident Alberto Fujimori "temporarily" dissolves the Peruvian Congress by ordering a tank to the steps of the congress building (1990); Serbian troops begin the nearly four-year-long Siege of Sarajevo (1992); North Korea launches Bright Star 2 - a satellite generally taken as a test of technology to be used in launching ballistic missiles (2009); and San Fransisco becomes the first State to introduce paid Paternity Leave (2016).

Birthdays Today include: Francesco lamparelli (1521); Thomas Hobbes (1588); Adrienne Lecouvreur (1692); Sebastien Erard (1752); Louis Spohr (1784); Joseph Lister (1827); Algernon Charles Swinburne (1837); Booker T Washington (1856); Leo Stern (1862); Natalia Sedova (1882); Hedwig Kohn (1887); Albert Roussel (1869); Spencer Tracy (1900); Thomas Pitfield (1905); Bette Davis and Herbert von Karajan (both 1908); Albert R Broccoli (1909); John Le Mesurier (1912); Gregory Peck (1916); Robert Bloch (1917); Tom Finney (1922); Janet Rowley (1925); Nigel Hawthorne and Joe Meek (both 1929); Frank Gorshin (1933); Peter Greenaway (1942); Jane Asher (1946); Agnetha Fältskog (1950); Anthony Horowitz (1955); Victoria Hamilton (1971); Hayley Atwell (1982); Lily James is 30, and Evan Parker is 75 today.

Final Days for: Alonso Lobo (1617); Edward Young (1765); George Danton (1794 - guillotined on the same day as Francois Chabot, Camille Desmoulins, Fabre d'Eglantine, Marie-Jean Hérault de Séchelles, François Joseph Westermann, and Pierre Philippeaux); Jonathan Eastman Johnson (1906); Alphons Diepenbrock (1921); George Herbert, 5th Earl of Carnarvon (1923 - the Mummy's Curse? No - an infected mosquito bite); Vincent Youmans (1946); Julius Harrison (1963); Mischa Elman and Herman Joseph Muller (both 1967); Alla Tarasova (1973); Howard Hughes (1976); Kurt Cobain (1994); Allen Ginsberg (1997); Giulio Einaudi (1999); Saul Bellow (2005); Gene Pitney (2006); Charlton Heston (2008); and Alan Davie (2014).

And the Radio 3 schedules for the morning of Wednesday, 5th April, 1989 were:

Morning Concert: Warlock Capriol Suite; Lassus Chanson: "Pour courir en poste a la Ville"; Chopin Berceuse; Debussy Premiere rapsodie; Barber Adagio; Strauss Horn Concerto No 1; arr Britten The Foggy, Foggy Dew; & The Plough Boy; Copland Appalachian Spring.
                        This Week's Composer: Beethoven - Ah! Perfido!; Sextet Op71; Violin Sonata Op 12 #1.
                        The Mozart Piano Sonatas: sixth of eight programmes. Hans Leygraf plays Sonatas in D (K 284) and B flat (K 570)
                        Melissa Phelps and John York play Beethoven Op5 #1, Kodaly Op4 (all of it!)
                        Midweek Choice: RVW's Lark; Falla Siete canciones populares espanolas; Chopin Barcarolle; Verdi La vergine degli angeli; Shostakovich 1st Piano Concerto; Strauss Alpine Symphony (complete!)
                        Last edited by ferneyhoughgeliebte; 05-04-19, 14:08.

Comment

• vinteuil
                          • Nov 2010

Fabre d'Églantine
                          ... such a good name!

He it was who came up with the names of the months etc for the French Revolutionary Calendar -

[ ... I see that today is Lettuce, 16th Germinal CCXXVII ]

"According to legend, Fabre showed the greatest calmness and sang his own well-known song:
                          Il pleut, il pleut, bergère, / Rentre tes blancs moutons...
                          Fabre died under the guillotine on 5 April 1794 with the other Dantonists. On his way to the scaffold he distributed his handwritten poems to the people.
                          According to a popular legend, Fabre complained bitterly about the injustice done to him on the way to the scaffold, whereupon Danton replied with supreme sarcasm: "Des vers... Avant huit jours, tu en feras plus que tu n'en voudras!" ("Before eight days have passed, you'll make more of them than you would like to"), where "them" (vers) can be understood as either "verses" or "worms"."

Last edited by vinteuil; 05-04-19, 09:05.

Comment

• Richard Tarleton

Hilary Mantel's lengthy novel A Place of Greater Safety charts the careers of Danton, Desmoulins, Fabre etc. up to the execution of the Dantonists.

As an aside, Ms Mantel's novels do seem to feature rather a lot of decapitations....

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
                              Gone fishin'
                              • Sep 2011

Originally posted by vinteuil View Post
                              He it was who came up with the names of the months etc for the French Revolutionary Calendar
                              Ah - he really hated being nicknamed "Février" at school, didn't he!

[ ... I see that today is Lettuce, 16th Germinal CCXXVII ]
                              And that's just the tip of the Iceberg.

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
                                Gone fishin'
                                • Sep 2011

April 6th

New Beer's Eve in the US - the day before National Beer Day, marking the anniversary of the day that the Cullen-Harrison Act came into force in 1933, allowing beer of 3.2% strength to be sold in the United States after Prohibition. (Prohibition itself didn't come to an end until December 5th - so there's another celebration on that date, on which any type of alcohol can be consumed, as opposed to tomorrow's beer-specific quaffing.) Scots-Americans might wish to enjoy a different tipple today, as it is Tartan Day in the US and Canada. Today used to be one of the Flitting Days - those dates in the year in which contracts between landlords and tennants, and worker/employer were decided upon. Flitting Day was a half-holiday, in which tennants at the end of one contract were meant to move out to make way for the new tennants to take over accommodation/lodgings. No easy feat - the place was expected to be left spotlessly clean and tidy. Both the Lutheran and Episcopal Churches in Germany commemorate Artists Albrecht Durer and Lucas Cranich (the latter of whom was a friend of Luther) on this day. World Böhring- Opitz Syndrome Awareness day, raising awareness and support for this - thankfully - very rare condition.

Also on this Date: fifty-one Scottish magnates and nobles sign the Declaration of Arbroth (1320); Petrarch first sees a woman called Laura [possibly Laura de Noves, "n-times great"-grandmother of the Marquis De Sade] in the Church of Sainte-Claire d'Avignon, charging his subsequent poetry (1327); Mehmet II launches the [ultimately unsuccessful] Siege of Constantinople (1422); Jan van Riebeeck establishes a supplies port Cape Colony; the beginnings of Cape Town and the first European settlement in South Africa (1652); Black Slaves, granted limited privileges under Dutch rule of New Amsterdam, satge a revolt against their new British owners who remove these privileges when they take over the city [and rename it New York] - nine white "masters" were killed and six others injured. In reprisal, 70 slaves were arrested, and 21 executed (1712); the Chakra Dynasty [the current Royal Family of Thailand] is established (1782); the House of Bourbon is restored in France after Napoleon goes into exile in Elba (1814); Joseph Smith establishes the Church of Christ, the forerunners of Mormonism (1830 - exactly 30 years later, Smith's grandson, Joseph III, reorganises it as The Community of Christ - and 33 years after that, Salt Lake Temple is dedicated); William Wordsworth is appointed Poet Laureate (1843); 18-year-old Arthur Sullivan's Graduation Piece, his Incidental Music for Shakespeare's The Tempest is premiered in Leipzig by the Gewandhaus Orchestra (1861); Oscar Wilde is arrested, having refused to take the opportunity to flee the country after the failure of his libel case against Queensberry (1895); the opening ceremony of the 1896 Summer Olympiad - the first for 1500 years - is held in Athens (1896); anti-Semitic newspaper, The Bessarabian announces that Jews have murdered two gentile children, resulting in the Kishinev Pogrom, in which 49 Jews are killed, 600 injured, and 700 houses destroyed (1903 - it is Easter Sunday, and the rioting begins immediately after the morning church sevice); the United States declares War on Germany (1917); Bavaria declares itself a Soviet Republic (1919); Mussolini's Fascists win 355 out of the 535 seats in the Italian Election (1924); Roy J Plunkett invents Teflon - by accident (1938); Nazi Germany launches attacks on Yugoslavia and Greece (1941); Klaus Barbie orders Gestapo troops into the Jewish Orphanage at Izieu in France - 42 children and 5 adults are taken taken to Auschwitz Extermination camp to be gassed (1944); the first Antoinette Perry Awards for Excellence in Broadway Theatre [or "Tonys" for short] are presented (1947 - Arthur Miller receives an award for "outstanding contribution"); Intelsat I, nicknamed "Early Bird", the first commercial communications satellite is launched (1965); leaking gas underneath the martins Arms store in Richmond, Indiana causes an explosion which in turn detonates gunpowder stored in the shop - 41 people are killed, and more than 150 others injured (1968); Pioneer 11 a space probe to investigate Jupiter, Saturn, the Asteroid Belt, Solar Winds, and Cosmic Rays, is launched (1973); ABBA wins the Eurovision Song Contest (1974 - the day after Agnetha Fältskog's [without whom, the band would be called "BBA"] 24th birthday); "Post-It" Notes go on general sale for the first time (1980); the Bosnian War begins (1992); an aircraft carrying the presidents of Rwanda and Burundi is shot down near the Presidential Palace Gardens, Kigali, killing both men (1994); Pakistan tests medium-range missiles capable of delivering nuclear warheads to India (1998); two days before Municiple elections, underpaid workers in Egypt call an [illegal] General Strike; Egyptian police respond violently (2008); 307 people are killed in an earthquake in central Italy (2009); the US launches 59 Cruise Missiles against an airbase in Syria; the first unilateral action by the States in the conflict (2017).

Birthdays Today include: Raphael (1483); Johann Kuhnau (1660); André Cardinal Destouches (1672); Philip Henry Gosse (1810); Will Crooks (1852); Arthur Wesley Dow (1857); René Lalique (1860); Leonora Carrington (1917); Gerry Mulligan (1927); James Watson (1928); Willis Hall, Edison Denisov, and André Previn (all 1929); Paul Daniels (1938); Gheorghe Zamfir (1941); Roger Cook (1943); Felicity Palmer (1944); Pascal Rogé (1951); Rory Bremner (1961); Jonathan Firth (1967); and Myleene Klass (1978).

Final Days for: Nottker the Stammerer (912); Richard I (1199); Raphael (1520 - yup; another of those "I hope they kept the recipts on his birthday present" jobs); Albrecht Durer (1528); Francis Walsingham (1590); Henry Barrowe (1593); Idris Davies (1953); Igor Stravinsky (1971); Isaac Asimov (1992); Greer garson (1996); Tammy Wynette (1998); Anita Borg and Babatunde Olatunji (both 2003); Corin Redgrave (2010); and Mickey Rooney (2013).

And the Radio 3 schedules for the morning of (Easter) Sunday, April 6th, 1969 were:
                                What's New - a weekly programme of recent recordings
                                Bach: Easter Oratorio
                                Your Concert Choice - a request programme of gramophone records
                                Music Magazine: with features on Boult (by Michael Kennedy), Messiaen (by Roger Smalley), Messager (by Mark Lubbock), and Jazz Composition (by Steve Race).
                                (followed by a complete performance of Gluck's La rencontre imprévue )

Comment

Working...
                                X