• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ferneyhoughgeliebte
    Gone fishin'
    • Sep 2011

12th August

The Feast Day of St Jaenberht, the 8th Century Abbot of St Augustine's Abbey in Canterbury who became Archbishop of Canterbury in 765 thanks in part to the friendship he had with Egbert II King of Kent. Unfortunately, his relationship with Offa King of Mercia (and overlord of Kent) wasn't so amiable, Jaenberht siding with Egbert against Offa's plans to expand direct rule over his entire Kingdom, believing that he was an Offa that nobody could refuse. Some scholars believed that Jaenberht was behind the widespread rumour that Offa was plotting with Charlemagne to overthrow the Pope - other rumours included Jaenberht's own conspiracy with Charlemagne to undermine Offa's power in Mercia: jaenberht certainly had coins minted with his own image on them as a direct mark of disrespect for the King. The hostilities, which resulted in Offa's creation of Archdiocese of Lichfield as a rival centre to Canterbury, continued until the Archbishop's death on this date in 792 [three years before Offa's] - after which Jaenberht became revered as a Saint.

It's also International Youth Day, and World Elephant Day, the latter dedicated to the preservation and protection of the pachyderms. No such consideration today for Red Grouse or ptarmigans, of course.

Also on this Date: Godfrey of Bouillon launches a surprise attack on the Muslim forces of vizier al-Afdal Shahanshah at the Battle of Ascalon, driving them back into Egypt (1099 - this marks the end of the First Crusade, and most of the European Christians return home); the Islamic forces of Atabeg Nur ad-Din Zangi inflict heavy losses on the Christian armies in Syria at the Battle of Harim (1164 - Nur ad-Din had looked as if he was pulling his forces away from the battle, encouraging their opponents to launch an attack, in which 10,000 are slaughtered); following 3 months plotting, chief minister Charles, duc de La Vieuville is arrested on charges of corruption, allowing Cardinal Richelieu to take up the role (1624); the Treaty of Allahbad is signed between Robert Clive of the East India Company and Mughal Emperor Shah Alam II, granting the Company the right to gather Taxes in East India, marking the beginnings of Company Rule in India (1765); George III gives Robert Southey an unusual 39th Birthday Present - he is made Poet Laureate (1813); the City [the still a town] of Chicago is incorporated (1833); Isaac Singer receives US payent #US8294 A for his double treadle Sewing machine (1851); at Glasgow Infirmary, Joseph Lister treats a 7-year-old boy whose leg had been run over by a cart - he applies carbolic acid only to the wound; the first surgery using antiseptic (1865); the last Quagga [a species of South African zebra] dies in a zoo in Amsterdam (1883); the 4-year-old Republic of Hawaii comes to an end, as the territory is annexed by the United States (1898); the Battle of Halen results in a tactical victory for the Belgian Cavalry over their German opponents (1914 - but it doesn't hold up the German invasion to any significant degree); William Wellman's film Wings, starring Clara Bow, is released (1927); Clarence Birsdeye receives US Patent 199693A for his method of preparing and fast- freezing food goods (1930); 560 villagers from Sant'Anna di Stazzema in Tuscany are murdered by Nazi and Fascist troops in reprisal for Italian Resistance activities (1944 - 130 children are including in the total; on the same day in Poland, Nazi troops aided by Russian fascists end the week-long Massacre of Wola, in which over 40,000 Polish Resistance fighters had been murdered; also on this same day, the Normandy city of Alençon becomes the first French city to be liberated from Nazi occupation); over 600 peaceful Pashtun protesters in Pakistan are shot dead by police and militia forces on the orders of the province's governor (1948 - over 1,000 others are injured in the massacre); the North Korean People's Army murders 75 US prisoners of war South Korea (1950); 13 of the 15 members of the Jewish Anti-Fascist Committee who had been arrested for treason the year before and subjected to beatings and torture, are executed in the cellar of a Soviet prison (1952 - another is in a coma in hospital, and dies there a few months later; only onbe survives, to be freed after Stalin's death just over 6 months later); the Battle of the Bogside begins after the Apprentice Boys' March in Derry - the violence continues for the next 3 days (1969); Luciano Berio's Opera is premiered at the Santa Fe Opera House, conducted by Dennis Russell Davies (1970); the IBM Personal Computer goes on sale (1981 - its commercial success during iots 6 years of existence results in the widespread use of the term "PC" to describe such devices); in South Dakota, fossil collector Sue Hendrickson discovers the largest, most complete, and best-preserved skeleton of a Tyrannosaurus Rex yet found (1990 - her colleagues call the reconstructed skeleton "Sue" in her honour); the Russian Navy nuclear-powered submarine Kursk sinks after one of the torpedos it is carrying explodes - all but 23 of the crew are instantly killed in the explosion, the remaining survivors die later as a result of President Putin's refusal to accept offers of help from Britain and Norway (2000); American neo-Nazis at a rally in Charlottesville, Virginia attack counter-demonstrators, driving a ca into a group, killing one of them (2017 - President Trump condemns "in the strongest possible terms this egregious display of hatred, bigotry and violence on many sides, on many sides");

Birthdays Today include: Heinrich Biber (baptised 1644); Maurice Greene (1696); Robert Southey (1774); Helena Blavatsky (1831); Radclyffe Hall (1880); Cecil B DeMille (1881); Erwin Schrödinger (1887); Samuel Fuller (1912); Guy Gibson (1918); Fulton Mackay (1922); Norris & Ross McWhirter (1925); George Soros (1930); William Goldman (1931); Pat Metheny (1954); Pete Sampras (1971); ... Mark Knopfler is 70, and astrophysicist Margaret Burbidge celebrates her 100th birthday today.

Final Days for: Cleopatra (if not 10th - 30BCE); Alfonso Ferrabosco (1588); Giovanni Gabrieli (1612); Jacopo Peri (1633); William Blake (1827); George Stephenson (1848); Leos Janacek (1928); Thomas Mann (1955); Ian Fleming (1964); Leopold Spinner (1980); Henry Fonda (1982); Margaret Sutherland (1984); John Cage (1992); Victoria Gray Adams (2006); Les Paul (2009); Lauren Bacall (2014); John Scott & Stephen Lewis (both 2015).

And the Radio 3 Schedules for the Morning of Sunday, 12th August, 1979 were:

Mozart Piano Concertos: Vanhal S4tet in F; Mozart Concerto in d K466.
    Your Concert Choice: Rossler Sinfonia in c minor: karppalzische [this is what the Genome says - I can find no other reference to either composer or work or subtitle, which seems to mean "carpets hiss"! I suspect it should read "karpatische" = "Carpathian", but can find no reference here, either]; Chopin Sonata in Bb minor; Bartok Suite #2 Op 4.
    Prom Talk: Haitink talks about Haydn; Gordon Crosse introduces his new work; Opera in the RAH.
    Cleveland Orchestra conducted by Lorin Maazel "1st of 4 programmes" (Druckman Chiaroscuro; Schumann Pno Conc [with Bruno Leonardo Gelber]; Berlioz Harold en Italie [with Robert Vernon] - with an interval talk by Roy Strong).
    Last edited by ferneyhoughgeliebte; 12-08-19, 08:47.
    [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• Richard Tarleton

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post
      Erwin Schrödinger (1887)

©The New Yorker

Comment

• johncorrigan
        • Nov 2010

Phil Harris (1995);
        ...and also my old Dad in 2007; and funnily enough he was a big fan of Phil Harris, passing that love of Phil onto me, ferney! Now there's a Thing!

Comment

• LezLee
          • Apr 2019

[QUOTE=ferneyhoughgeliebte;750815]

Also on this Date: Godfrey of Bouillon launches a surprise attack.(1930);
          Time to take stock?

Birthdays Today include: Heinrich Biber (baptised 1644); Maurice Greene (1696); Robert Southey (1774); Helena Blavatsky (1831); Radclyffe Hall (1880); Cecil B DeMille (1881); Erwin Schrödinger (1887); Samuel Fuller (1912); Guy Gibson (1918); Fulton Mackay (1922); Norris & Ross McWhirter (1925); George Soros (1930); William Goldman (1931); Pat Metheny (1954); Pete Sampras (1971); ... Mark Knopfler is 60, and astrophysicist Margaret Burbidge celebrates her 100th birthday today.

What a brilliant selection of birthdays! Only one - Samuel Fuller - I've not heard of.

Guy Gibson and other war heroes were the 'heartthrobs' of our day in the early '50s and we all had their photographs inside our desk-lids. Then came Elvis and everything changed forever.
          My sister worked with Joseph Lister's (great)great-nephew in Newfoundland. He was also an anaesthetist and inventor.
          Last edited by LezLee; 11-08-19, 19:47.

Comment

• cloughie
            • Dec 2011

Just to note Mark Knopfler has been doing the walk of life ten years longer than you recorded ferney, but what an asset to world of pop/rock and film music he has proved over the last 40 plus years.

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
              Gone fishin'
              • Sep 2011

Originally posted by cloughie View Post
              Just to note Mark Knopfler has been doing the walk of life ten years longer than you recorded ferney
              - duly corrected (a combination of poor maths and a psychological rejection of my own advancing years).

I also omitted to mention that 12th August, 2019 also sees the 89th birthday of Belgian mathematician, Jacques Tits, whose work in Incident Geometry led him to formulate the ideas of Tits Buildings, Tits Group, Tits Metric, and the Tits Alternative.

Jacques Tits, Belgian-born French mathematician who was awarded the 2008 Able Prize by the Norwegian Academy of Sciences and Letters, which cited him for having ‘created a new and highly influential vision of groups as geometric objects.’ Learn more about Tits’s life and work.

If this had been April 1st, you'd've thought I was making this up ...

Comment

• Richard Tarleton

If this had been April 1st, you'd've thought I was making this up ...
                Up until the early 80s there was a popular make of potato snack in Spain, along the lines of cheesy wotsits, called BUMS . They disappeared from the marketplace rather abruptly in the mid-80s.

Comment

• LeMartinPecheur
                  • Apr 2007

Originally posted by Richard Tarleton View Post
                  Up until the early 80s there was a popular make of potato snack in Spain, along the lines of cheesy wotsits, called BUMS . They disappeared from the marketplace rather abruptly in the mid-80s.
                  And an American diet suppressant called AYDS suffered 50% loss of sales at about the same time and got pulled completely shortly afterwards. Can't imagine why
                  I keep hitting the Escape key, but I'm still here!

Comment

• LezLee
                    • Apr 2019

And the French soft drink - Pschitt. There's also the Dick Institute, a museum in Kilmarnock.
                    The Rolls Royce Silver Mist was changed to Silver Shadow when the German translation turned out to be somewhat unfortunate.

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
                      Gone fishin'
                      • Sep 2011

13th August

The Feast Day of St Wihtberth, who died on this date in 747 - one of those Anglo-Saxon hermits, who went to study in Ireland before spreading the Gospel in Thuringia. His learning and "contempt for the world" is mentioned by Bede, and he is the Patron Saint of Bad Hersfeld in central Germany.
                      And the Feast Day of St Fachtna, the 7th Century Irish priest who founded the monastery of Rosscarbery in County Cork, and who,
                      generous and steadfast, loved/To instruct the crowds in concert,/He never spoke that which was mean,/Nor aught but what was pleasing to his Lord.
                      And today is International Left-Handers' Day - so any typos in this post can be attributed to my wish to honour the day.

Also on This Date: Henry V lands in France (1415); the end of the two-and-a-half month long Siege of Tenochtitlan: the Spanish Conquistadors conquer the Aztec capital and imprison the ruler, Cuauhtémoc (1521); the formation of the oldest regiment in the British Army, the Coldstream Guards, originally called "Monck's Regiment of Foot" after the Civil War Colonel who formed the regiment under the instructions of Oliver Cromwell (1650); the Battle of Blenheim, the turning point in the War of the Spanish succession, results in a Victory for British and Alliance troops led by General John Churchill, Duke of Marlborough against French and Bavarian forces (1704); Voltaire's tragedy Zaïre, written in just 3 weeks, is premiered at the Comédie Francais in Paris (1732); Louis XVI and his family are arrested, declared Enemies of the People, and sent to the Temple, a fortress prison in Paris (1792); Wagner inaugurates the first Bayreuth Festival with a performance of Beethoven's 9th Symphony (1876 - this is then followed by a performance of Das Rheingold as part of the first performance of the complete Ring cycle); William Gray from Conneticut, receives a patent for his invention of the coin-operated telephone (1889); Norwegian voters choose independence from Sweden after a National Referendum (1905 - it's not exactly a close thing: 368,208 for, 184 against on a more than 85% turnout); in spite of evidence throwing doubt on the verdict, the entire 25th Infantry Regiment of the US Army is given dishonoable discharges for the murder of a bartender, and subsequent injuring of a police officer after an incident in Texas (1906 - the Regiment is one of the few all-black companies in the army); at a laboratory in Sheffield, Harry Brierley accidentally discovers a new alloy which he calls "Rustless Steel" - it is alliterated and sold as "Stainless Steel" (1912); the Battle of Warsaw, between Polish troops and the Soviet Red Army, begins (1920); Göring assures Hitler that "Eagle Day" today will ensure the destruction of the RAF, ready for the planned invasion of Britain (1940 - things don't qite pan out as Herman had expected); following successful Resistance activity in Nazi-occupied Crete, the Nazi commander orders the "complete destruction and the execution of every male who is found in the village [of Anogeia in central Crete] and around it within a distance of one kilometre": the resulting killings and destruction of the village begins immediately and continues for the next 3 weeks (1944); the East German authorities order the closure of the border between West and East Berlin (1961, East German soldiers erect fences and barbed wire barriers to prevent citizens from leaving East Berlin, and 5 days later, the first concrete barriers of the Berlin Wall are laid); Gwynne Evans & Peter Allen become the last people in Britain to be sentenced to "suffer death in the manner authorised by law" when they are hanged for the murder of John Alan West (1964 - Evans is hanged in Manchester Strangeways prison, Allen in Liverpool Walton prison); Arthur Penn's film Bonnie & Clyde, starring Faye Dunaway & Warren Beatty is released (1967); Russian troops begin an occupation of the Georgian city of Gori following days of air attacks on the city (2008); Iranian Mathematician Maryam Mirzakhani becomes the first - and, so far, only - woman - to be awarded the Fields Medal (2014).

Birthdays Today include: William Wotten (1666); James Gillray (1756); Vladimir Odoyevsky (1803); Anders Jonas Ångström (1814); Lucy Stone (1818); George Grove (1820); Annie Oakley (1860); Giovanni Agnelli (1866); John Ireland (1879); John Logie Baird (1888); Bert Lahr (1895); Alfred Hitchcock (1899); Basil Spence (1907); Louis Frémaux (1921); Fidel Castro (1926); Bernard Manning (1930); Kathleen Battle (1948); Feargal Sharkey (1958); Alan Shearer (1970); ... and today is the centenary of the birth of George Shearing.

Final Days for: Gerard David (1523); Giambologna (1608); Rene Laennec (1826); Eugene Delacroix (1863); Florence Nightingale (1910); Jules Massenet (1912); HG Wells (1946); David Tudor (1996); Arnold Cooke (2005); Frans Brüggen (2014); Kenny Baker (2016).

And the Radio 3 Schedules for the Morning of Sunday, 13th August, 1989 were:

Harps Delight: Rossini Andante & Variations; Caplet Divertissement #2 ["a l'espagnole"]; Debussy Sonata for Flute, Harp, & Viola. ("1st of 7 programmes")
                      By Arrangement: "Curtain Up! (Beggings, borrowings and stealings from the opera)". Prokofiev/Heifetz March (from "The Love of Three Oranges"); Bizet/Shchedrin Ballet suite: Carmen; Verdi/Johann Strauss Quadrille, Op 272.
                      Your Concert Choice: Haydn Symph #12; Rosza Theme and Variations; Beethoven Sonata in D, Op 10 #3; Brahms Clar 5tet; Reger Wohl denen die ohne Tadel leben; Bach Sei Lob und Ehr dem hochsten Gut (BWV 117).
                      Prom Talk: introduced by Michael Hall & Peter Donohoe (the childhoods of Mahler & Berg; Anthony Rooley).
                      BBCSSO conducted by Takuo Yuasa: Schumann Genoveva Ovt; Boyle Winter Music; Wieniawski Violin Concerto #2 (with Dong Suk Kang); Beethoven Leonora Ovt #2.

Comment

• gurnemanz
                        • Nov 2010

The name Wihtberth struck me. I'd never seen it before and the spelling "iht" struck me as weird. Any Google references to him I found l included that combination but left the final "h" off. I enjoyed "one of those Anglo-Saxon hermits" as if there was a whole group of them with which we would be familiar. Many might sympathise with his "contempt for the world", especially as Brexit engulfs our public life. To become "Patron Saint of Bad Hersfeld" would seem to be modest reward for his obviously praiseworthy life. However, I could find no reference to him in that context. Indeed, someone else (St Lullus) seems to be the town's saint. He did come from Wessex and has a statue on the Hersfeld market place. link

Comment

• LezLee
                          • Apr 2019

Wiki is slightly different. It begins:

Wihtberht

For the Abbot of Farfa of this name, see Guicpert.

Saint Wigbert and Saint Boniface. Stained glass window by Alois Plum.
                          Saint Wigbert, (Wihtberht) (May 7, 675 - August 13, 747) born in Wessex around 675, was an Anglo-Saxon Benedictine monk and a missionary and disciple of Saint Boniface who travelled with the latter in Frisia and northern and central Germany to convert the local tribes to Christianity. His feast day is August 13.

Wigbert was an Englishman of noble birth, who embraced the monastic life. It has been supposed that Wigbert was a monk of Glastonbury, but Löffler finds this improbable ...

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
                            Gone fishin'
                            • Sep 2011

Originally posted by gurnemanz View Post
                            To become "Patron Saint of Bad Hersfeld" would seem to be modest reward for his obviously praiseworthy life. However, I could find no reference to him in that context. Indeed, someone else (St Lullus) seems to be the town's saint. He did come from Wessex and has a statue on the Hersfeld market place. link
                            You're right that there are alternative spellings, but Wihtberth's patronage of Bad Hersfeld is also mentioned here:

Lullus studied with Wihtberth in Fritzlar - they were both followers of St Boniface. "Wiht" is not that uncommon in Early English:

wiht, <b>. II</b> 2.

Comment

• vinteuil
                              • Nov 2010

St Wigbert - 13 August

"Companion of St. Boniface, born in England about 675; died at Hersfeld about 746. Positive biographical accounts of him are scanty; he had several contemporaries of the same name, and it is difficult to decide in all instances to which Wigbert the different details belong. In 836 Servatus Lupus wrote a life of Wigbert, but this contains very few clear historical data while it relates in detail the purity of Wigbert's morals, his zeal for souls, charity, familiarity with the Bible, knowledge of theology, skill in teaching, enthusiasm for monastic life, and the faithfulness with which he fulfilled his duties. Boniface called him from England. Wigbert was certainly older than Boniface. A letter from a priest name Wigbert to the fathers and brethren in Glestingaburg (Glastonbury) in Somersetshire is preserved. It has been supposed that the writer was St. Wigbert and therefore a monk of Glastonbury, but this is not probable. He went to Germany about 734, and Boniface made him abbot of the monastery of Hersfeld in Hesse; among his pupils there was St. Sturmi, the first Abbot of Fulda. About 737 Boniface transferred him to Thuringia as Abbot of Ohrdruf, where he worked with the same success as in Hersfeld. Later Wigbert obtained Boniface's permission to return to Hersfeld to spend his remaining days in quiet and to prepare for death; notwithstanding old age and illness he continued his austere mode of life until his end. He was first buried at Fritzlar in an inconspicuous grave, but during an incursion of the Saxons (774) his remains were taken for safety to Buraburg, and from there, in 780 by Archbishop Lullus transferred to Hersfeld, where in 850 a beautiful church was built to him; this was burned in 1037. A great fire in 1761 destroyed the new church (dedicated, 1144) and consumed the saint's bones, or else they crumbled in the ruins. The veneration of Wigbert flourished especially in Hesse and Thuringia. At the present day he is venerated only in the dioceses of Mainz, Fulda, and Paderborn. He is recorded in the "Martyrologium Romanum" under 13 August."

Catholic Encyclopedia, 1912.

Comment

• gurnemanz
                                • Nov 2010

Great research in above contributions. I see Wigbert was Abbot of Ohrdruf, so a link with JS Bach who went to school in that town.

Comment

Working...
                                X