• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ferneyhoughgeliebte
    Gone fishin'
    • Sep 2011

April 1st

All Fools' Day - The earliest written references in English to the tradition of playing tricks (those who fall for them being "April Gowks", or "Noodles") is from the late 17th Century (in an entry for 1688, John Aubrey refers to it as "Fooles Holy Day"): there's no reference in any earlier letters, poems, or dramas, though there are from France and Germany. By the 19th Century, it had become customary to play tricks on apprentices and new employees - sending them on "a fool's errand" to collect a tin of striped paint, or a long weight, or (in the printing trade) an italic full-stop. Newspapers expanded the tradition, initially printing fake job adverts ("Assistant Rhubarb Consultant for West Midlands County Council" and news items - taken up famously with the Beeb's Spaghetti Harvests in the late '50s, and Patrick Moore's 1976 hoax "Jovian-Plutonian Gravitational Effect" broadcast on Radio2 in which listeners were urged to jump into the air at 9:47am, as they would experience a moment of floating, due to the joint influence of Jupiter and Pluto on the Earth's gravity at that exact moment. Hundreds of people 'phoned in to confirm that they had indeed stayed above ground for longer than usual at that moment - and one caller actually claimed that she and eleven iof her friends had been "wafted" from their chairs and floated around her [presumably quite large] Living Room at that time. John Lenon and Yoko Oneo were also keen on using the day - in 1970, they announced that they were both about to undergo "sex change" operations, and three years later they declared that they had created a new country called Nutopia, which had no laws, no boundaires, and whoise National Anthem was the First Movement of John Cage's 4' 33".

I suspect that Wikipedia might be entering into the spirit of things this year - but the world has become a place where even the most extraordinary celebration might actually be happening somewhere!

I do believe - I want to believe that it's also "Fossil Fools Day" (to encourage awareness of global warming) - but then I was taken in both by the "dfiscovery" of a recording of Chopin playing his Minute Waltz, announced in the April issue of a now-defunct CD review magazine in the early '90s (AND the same magazine's advertisement of a CD of RVW's 4th & 5th with the VPO conducted by Boulez! It's so easy to be duped when you want the thing to be true!

Also on this date: Scotland recaptures Berwick-upon-Tweed back from the English (1318); Handel's Judas Maccabaeus is premiered at Covent Garden (1747); Friedrich von Klinger's play Sturm und Drang is premiered in Leipzig (1776); Frederick Muhlenberg is elected the first Speaker of the US House of Representatives (1789); the first three chapters of Dickens' Hard Times are published in the author's weekly magazine Househoold Words; the remainder is published over the following twenty weeks (1854); Herman Melville's The Confidence Man is first published (1857);
    Singapore becomes a British Crown Colony (1867); the Wrigley Chewing Gum Company is founded in Chicago (1891); the Territorial Force [forerunner of the Territorial Army] is founded (1901); Germany becomes the first country to adopt SOS in Morse Code as a distress signal (1905); de Falla's La Vida Breve is premiered in Nice (1913); Franz Schmidt's Notre Dame is premiered in Vienna, with Marie Gutheil-Schoder as Esmerelda (1914); the Royal Flying Corps and the Royal Naval Air Service are merged to become the Royal Air Force (1918); the Welsh Church Act of 1914 is enacted, disestablishing the Anglican Church in Wales (1920); Adolf Hitler is sentenced tio five years in "fortress confinement" [the most lenient of imprisonment] for his part in the failed Munich Putsch (1924 - he serves nine months, spending the time writing Mein Kampf; Josef von Sternberg's film The Blue Angel premieres in Berlin, giving Marlene Dietrich her first starring role (1930); official Nazi policy of boycotting Jewish-owned businesses begins (1933); six German JU52 bombers attack the city of Jaén in Spain - there are no "legitimate" military targets, and 159 people are killed, and hundreds of others injured (1937); Nestlé introduce Nescafé (1938); near the village of Fântâna Albă ["White Well", now in Ukraine] Soviet Border Guards open fire on civilians trying to get to Romania: up to 2000 people are killed (1941); the Big Bang theory is first proposed in The Physical Review - readers might have looked at the date and wondered - especially as names of the co-authors are given as "Alpher, Bethe, and Gammow - all highly respected astro-physicists, but Hans Bethe's name has been included by George Gammow, just to make the joke (1952)ANC member Henry Fazzie is sentenced to 20 years imprisonment under South African sabotage laws (1965); Copland's The Tender Land is premiered in New York, conducted by Thomas Schippers (1954); the first photograph of Earth taken from space is transmitted from satelite TIROS-1 (1960); the Pakistan Army carry out an attack on civilians in Jinjira, Bangladesh, killing over 1000 people (1971); the Heath Government enacts the Local Government Act in England and Wales (1974); Steve Jobs, Steve Wozniak, and Ronald Wayne establish the Apple Computer Company (1976); following a national referendum, Iran becomes an Isalmic Republic (1979 - exactly five years to the day after Ayatollah Khomeni had called for such status); the Poll Tax is introduced in Scotland (1989); same-sex marriage is legalised in the Netherlands (2001); and Bob Dylan receives his Nobel Prize for Literature at a private ceremony in Stockholm (2017).

Birthdays today include: William Harvey (1578); Jean-Henri d'Anglebert (1629); John Wilmot (1647); Abbé Prevost (1697); Otto von Bismark (1815); Feruccio Busoni (1866); Edmond Rostand (1868); Sergei Rachmaninoff (1872); Edgar Wallace (1875); Lon Chaney [snr] (1883); Wallace Beery (1885); icely Courtneidge (1893); Eddy Duchin (1909); Sydney Newman (1917); George Baker (1931); Debbie Reynolds (1932); Ronnie Lane (1946); Susan Boyle (1961); Phillip Schofield (1962); Chris Evans (1966); ... and Milan Kundera is 90 today.

Final Days for: Eleanor of Aquitaine (1204); Scott Joplin (1917); Helena Rubinstein (1965); Max Ernst (1976); Marvin Gaye (1984); Martha Graham (1991); Yevgeny Yevtushenko (2017); and Steven Bocho (2018).

And the Radio 3 schedules for the morning of Sunday, April 1st, 1979 were:

Bach & Handel: the last in a series of prigrammes combining selections from "The 48" (played by Gustav Leonhardt) with Handel's Concerti Grossi Op 6 (played by Colleium Aureum conducted by Franzjosef Maier).
    Rural Rhymes a selection of poems about the countryside read by Robin Holmes
    Your Concert Choice: Boccherini Symphony in d minor, Op 12 No 4 (La casa del diavolo); Brahms Horn Trio; Field Rondo in E major (Le midi); Lambert The Rio Grande; Mozart Eine kleine Nichtmusik.
    Music Weekly: including an article on de Falla's Atlantida and a conversation with Andrei Gavrilov
    Chicago Symphony Orchestra: Tennstedt's debut concert with the orchestra - Blacher Concertante Music; Tchiakovsky Violin Concerto [with Henryk Szeryng; Beethoven 5th Symphony
    Last edited by ferneyhoughgeliebte; 01-04-19, 14:48.
    [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
      Gone fishin'
      • Sep 2011

April 2nd

The Feast Day of 9th Century Scottish Saint Aebbe, "the Younger" Abbess of Coldingham (the founder of the Coldingham Priory 100 years earlier was also called "Aebbe"), who, to prevent the Nuns in her charge from being raped by marauding Vikings, cut off her own nose in front of the invaders, who were so disgusted by the spectacle that they didn't rape any of the sisters. They just burnt the Priory to the ground with all the Nunbs in it instead.
      World Autism Awareness Day - a UN initiative to encourage member states to take measures to raise awareness about and support for people with Autism Spectrum Disorder. It is one of only seven health-specific UN Days. International Children's Book Day - an annual celebration around the time of Anderson's birthday, to inspire a love of reading and raise awareness of Children's books (Forumistas have already been doing their bit! )

and Malvinas Day in Argentina ... and, in Peru, they actually have a Lawyer Day - but that's to celebrate a former President, Francisco García Calderón, who had been a Lawyer before turning to politics.)

Also on this Date: Gerbert of Aurillac begins his reign as Sylvester II, the first Frenchman to be elected Pope (999); the Coinage Act is passed by the US Senate, establishing the US Mint (1792); Beethoven's First Symphony is premiered in Vienna (1800); Nelson orders the destruction of the Danish Fleet to prevent it falling into the hands of the French (1801 - the Battle of Copenhagen, in which Nelson puts a telescope to his blind eye in order not to see a signal to retreat); H L Fizeau & Leon Foucault take the first, Daguerrotype photograph of the Sun, clearly showing sunspots on the surface (1848); Haile Selassie becomes Emperoro of Ethiopia (1930); Karl Amadeus Hartmann' 4th Symphony is premiered in Munich (1948); Peter Ustinov's Romanoff and Juliet is premiered in Manchester (1956); Kubrick & Clarke's film 2001, a Space Odyssey is premiered in Washington (1968); Ligeti's Chamber Concerto is premiered in Ottowa (1970); Malipiero's 11th Symphony [Delle Cornamuse] is premiered in Milan (1971); Charlie Chaplin returns to the United States for the first time in twenty years - and on the same day that Tennessee Williams' Small Crafts Warning is premiered in Manhattan (1972); Boulez' Rituel [1st version] is premiered in London, conducted by the Composer (1975); Dallas premieres on US television (1978); Argentine forces launch the invasion of the Falklands Islands, starting the Falklands War (1982); Mikhail Gorbachev begins a state visit to Cuba (1989); and a gang of elderly criminals burgle the Hatton Garden Safe Deposit Company (2015).

Birthdays Today include: Charlemagne (742); Giocomo Casanova (1725); Hans Christian Anderson (1805); William Holman Hunt (1827); Emil Zola (1840); Walter Chrysler (1875); Jack Buchanan and Max Ernst (both 1891, the latter dying one day before his 85th birthday); Buddy Epstein (1908); Alec Guiness (1914); George MacDonald Fraser (1925); Kenneth Tynan (1927); Serge Gainsbourgh and David Robinson (both 1928); Brian Glover (1934); Marvin Gaye (1939 - and who also died the day before his birthday); Penelope Keith (1980); Anne Waldman (1945); Sue Townsend (1946); Emmylou Harris and Camille Paglia (both 1947); Paul Gambaccini (1949); Rodney King (1965); and Michael Fassbender (1977).

Final Days for: Arthur, Prince of Wales (1502 - Henry VIII's older brother, and Catherine of Aragon's first husband); ... .- -- ..- . .-.. / -- --- .-. ... . (1872); Wallingford Riegger (1961); CS Forester (1966); Georges Pompidou (1974); Buddy Rich (1987); Pope John Paul II (2005); Milo O'Shea (2013); and, exactly a year ago, Winnie Mandela.

And the Radio 3 schedules for the morning of Sunday, 2nd April, 1989 were:

Tudor Church Music: a series of 6 programmes - Cornysh Magnificat; Byrd Magnificat & Nunc Dimitis [from "The Great Service"]; Tallis Scholars/Peter Phillips
      Smetana Quartet play Mozart K28 and Vladimir Sommer String Quartet in D minor (2nd of 6 programmes)
      Your Concert Choice: Holst A Somerset Rhapsody; Haydn Piano Sonata in G; Mozart S3 in Eb; Tavener Funeral Ikos; Britten Piano Concerto
      Music Weekly with St Michael Oliver (articles on The Programme Note; Bach's Inventions; an interview with HC Robbins Landon; Russian Music under Glastnost)
      BBCWSO conducted by Bryden Thomson (Wagner Meistersinger Ovt; Beethoven Symphony #8; Brahms' 2nd Piano Conc [with John Lill] including an interval talk.)
      Last edited by ferneyhoughgeliebte; 02-04-19, 09:21. Reason: Daguerrotypo!

Comment

• greenilex
        • Nov 2010

Must admit to feeling shamefaced about how much I enjoyed Dallas.

Comment

• french frank
          Administrator/Moderator
          • Feb 2007

I don't like to miss any of these fascinating snippets of information: what does it say in the Final Days section after 'Henry VIII's older brother, and Catherine of Aragon's first husband)'? Is it braille?
          It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• Bryn
            Banned
            • Mar 2007

Originally posted by french frank View Post
            I don't like to miss any of these fascinating snippets of information: what does it say in the Final Days section after 'Henry VIII's older brother, and Catherine of Aragon's first husband)'? Is it braille?

Comment

• cloughie
              • Dec 2011

Originally posted by greenilex View Post
              Must admit to feeling shamefaced about how much I enjoyed Dallas.
              Why do you feel that way - you enjoyed it - nobody got hurt, other than possibly some characters in the series - and they were not real anyway.

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
                Gone fishin'
                • Sep 2011

(--- -.- )

Comment

• Richard Tarleton

I'm touched that you commemorated the death of my 23x great grandmother yesterday, ferney (via one of her great grandson Edward's daughters - BBM and I are approximately 53rd cousins, 23 times removed )

Comment

• french frank
                    Administrator/Moderator
                    • Feb 2007

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post
                    (--- -.- )
                    As a Girl Guide I failed my Morse Code test, mainly because, to my consternation, two of us were issued with a flag to exchange messages, rather than pencil and paper. (I failed my Knots too, never managing to gain my Second Class badge. In fact the only bit I passed was Hospital Corners, because my friend's mother had been a nurse and certified I knew how to tuck in a bed properly - having shown me how to do it).

It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• MrGongGong
                      • Nov 2010

As a Girl Guide I failed my Morse Code test, mainly because, to my consternation, two of us were issued with a flag to exchange messages, rather than pencil and paper. (I failed my Knots too, never managing to gain my Second Class badge. In fact the only bit I passed was Hospital Corners, because my friend's mother had been a nurse and certified I knew how to tuck in a bed properly - having shown me how to do it).

or

//Ryoji Ikeda - Superposition @ Barbican// 27th March 2013

Comment

• vinteuil
                        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Richard Tarleton View Post
                        I'm touched that you commemorated the death of my 23x great grandmother yesterday, ferney (via one of her great grandson Edward's daughters - BBM and I are approximately 53rd cousins, 23 times removed )
                        ... not another of Mme v's cousins!

Comment

• Richard Tarleton

Originally posted by vinteuil View Post
                          ... not another of Mme v's cousins!

thought that would wake you up

One of Edward's many daughters married Humphrey de Bohun, Earl of Hereford (one of the Ordainers in Ed II's reign). Her daughter Margaret married a Courtenay, and her great granddaughter married a Grenville....there followed 3 generations of Grenvilles before one of them married a Snelling....my 11x great grandfather was a Thomas Snelling...my 9x great grandfather John Snelling was born in Plympton in 1625, and went to America in 1648, founding a dynasty there... This is my 4xgreat grandfather Ephraim Reed Snelling (1788-1872)

....Snelling survived as a given name for several more generations on the American side, down to my grandmother and her siblings......

Actually I'm much more chuffed to find I'm descended, through Ed I's wife, from the likes of Ramón Berenguer and the kings of Aragón.....

But as you say, we all are if you look hard enough.

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
                            Gone fishin'
                            • Sep 2011

April 3rd

The Feast Days of Agape, Chionia, and Irene, three fourth Century sisters burnt to death for refusing to renounce their Christian faith, part of the Great Persecution initiated by Diocletian - the account of their trials and sentencing is contained in official judicial records from the time. Their story was turned into a drama by the tenth Century canoness, Hrotsvitha of Gandersheim, who was probably the first dramatist since antiquity, certainly a rare example of a Mediaeval woman autobiographer (and whose scholarly works give us some of the earliest Mediaeval writings about Music Theory).

Also on this Date: Edward the Confessor is crowned King of England (1043); Robert Walpole becomes Britain's first First Lord of the Treasury; his political foes make up an alternative name as a means of jeering him: "Prime Minister" (1724); the first successful run - all 1900 miles of it - of the Pony Express sets off (1860); Union forces oin the US Civil War capyture the Confederate capital Richmond, Viginia (1865 - the end of the War is now only five weeks away); Grieg's Piano Concerto is premiered in Copenhagen, with Edmund Neuport playing all the right notes in the right order on Anton Rubinstein's piano [especially loaned for the occasion - Rubinstein was in the audience; Grieg wasn't], and the Royal Danish Orchestra conducted by Holger Paulli (1869); Emma Smith, the first victim of "Jack the Ripper", is murdered (1888); Oscar Wilde's action for libel against the Marquis of Queensberry opens (1895); Josef Stalin becomes the first General Secretary of the Communist Party of the Soviet Union (1922); Richard Haupimann is executed in the Electric Chair for the murder of Charles Lindbergh's 20-month-old son (1936); the Marshall Plan to promote world peace and the general welfare, national interest, and foreign policy of the United States through economic, financial, and other measures necessary to the maintenance of conditions abroad in which free institutions may survive and consistent with the maintenance of the strength and stability of the United States is enacted, authorising $5billion [about £42billion today] aid to 16 countries (1948); Samuel Beckett's Fin de Partie is premiered [in French] at the Royal Court Theatre (1957 - Beckett's own English translation, Endgame has to wait another four years); Martin Luther King delivers his last speech ["I've been to the mountaintop"] at the Mason Temple in Memphis (1968); Martin Cooper demonstrates his invention of a hand-held cellular mobile telephone (1973); Osbourne 1, the first commercially successful portable microcomputer is released - it costs $1795 [about £4000 today] (1981); 52 of the 53 inhabitants of the Algierian hamlet of Thalit are massacred by Islamist guerillas (1997); Microsoft is judged to have broken US antitrust laws (2000); terrorists linked to the Madrid Train Bombings commit suicide in their apartment to avoid capture by police (2004); the first i-Pads go on sale (2010); and a bomb on the St Petersburg underground kills 15 people, and injures at least 45 others. A second device is safely diffused (2017).

Birthdays Today include: George Herbert (1593); Washington Irving (1783); Mary Carpenter (1807); Otto Weininger (1880); Bud Fisher (1885); Neville Cardus (1888); Leslie Howard (1893); Mario Castelnuove-Tedesco (1895); Doris Day (1922); Daniel Hoffman (1923); Marlon Brando (1924); Tony Benn (1925); Helmut Kohl (1930); Jane Goodall (1934); Jonathan Lynn (1943); Anders Eliasson (1947); AC Grayling (1949); Alec Baldwin (1958); Eddie Murphy (1961); Chalotte Coleman (1968); ... and I'm sure Forumistas would join me in wishing Nigel Farage the 55th birthday that he deserves.

Final Days for: Vaclav Jan Tomasek (1850); Franz Berwald (1868); Jesse James (1882 - [in]famously shot dead by Robert Ford); Johannes Brahms (1897); Richard D'Oyly Carte(1901); Conrad Veidt (1943); Kurt Weill (1950); Ferde Grofe (1972); Ray Noble (1978); Peter Pears (1986); Milton Caniff (1988); Sarah Vaughan (1990); Graham Greene (1991); Lionel Bart (1999); and Ruth Prawer Jhabvala (2013).

And the Radio 3 schedules for the morning of Thursday, April 3rd, 1969 were:

Overture: gramophone records
                            Morning Concert: with contributions from Victoria de los Angeles, and Julian Bream
                            This Week's Composer: Telemann (Sonata No.1, in G minor ["Methodische Sonaten"]; Five Songs: Die durstige, Natur Sanfter Schlaf, Geizhals Freundschaft; Grossthuer Sonata in C minor, for oboe and continuo; Fantasy in B flat major, for harpsichord; Cantata No. 72: Was gleicht dem Adel wahrer Christen (Der harmonische Gottesdienstl)
                            Showcase - a programme of recent recordings
                            Music Making: Jennifer Eddy (Soprano) and Richard Nunn (piano); Amadeus S4tet with Cecil Aronowitz

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
                              Gone fishin'
                              • Sep 2011

Why the sad face? Even if you'd been as good at Morse, which would have been of greater use to you over the years?

(I'm now a little anxious about Dec 25 and Claude Chappe!)

Comment

• french frank
                                Administrator/Moderator
                                • Feb 2007

Why the sad face?
                                Well, none of it was very difficult and anyway I've now forgotten how to do Hospital Corners. I think it was making a sort of envelope of the sheet at the corners of the mattress. A reef knot has been useful. And a 'quick release knot' for mooring a small boat temporarily.

(I'm now a little anxious about Dec 25 and Claude Chappe!)
                                No, I don't have a life experience about that

Comment

Working...
                                X