• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ferneyhoughgeliebte
    Gone fishin'
    • Sep 2011

March 8th

Internationals Women's Collaborational Brew Day. Nothing to do with Tea - brewsters (women "brewmasters") across the globe simultaneously create a craft beer to the same recipe; there's been a Pale Ales, a Red Ale, a Gose - and this year, the theme is "Forage Ale", incorporating local herbs, fruits, spices, and even wild yeast.

No women Saints have their Feast Day today - but it is Saint Philemon the Actor's: a 4th Century Egyptian actor who was martyred in the last year of Emperor Diocletian's reign (305) and who is the Patron Saint of Actors. (WIKI says that he was converted by St Apollonius, and that they died on the same day - but WIKI also claims that Apollonius died in 187! )

Also on this Date: the Conocation of Canterbury creates the title Supreme Head of the Church in England (1531); Johannes Kepler unravels his Third Law of Planetary Motion (1618); with the death of William III, his late wife's sister becomes Queen Anne of England, Scotland, and Ireland (1792); the first abolitionist tract is published by an anonymous writer, believed by some to be Thomas Paine (1777); the first orchestral Concert given by the Royal Philharmonic Society is given in London; symphonies by Haydn and Beethoven are performed, and Johann Peter Salomon is "conductor" (1813); the new York Stock Exchange is founded (1817); Strauss' Don Quixote is premiered in Cologne (1898); Sibelius' 2nd Symphony is premiered in Helsinki, the composer conducting (1902); Enescu's first two Romanian Dances Op11, and his First Orchestral Suite Op9 are all premiered in Bucharest, condicted by the composer (1903); Elgar's Introduction & Allegro is premiered in the Queen's Hall, London by the strings of the LSO, conducted by the composer (1905); an International Women's Day march in St Petersberg turns into a demonstration against the Tsar, the War, and the shortage of bread, starting the first Russian Revolution of 1917; the first modern Arab state, the Kingdom of Syria, is established (1920); the Suez Canal is reopened after the Suez Crisis, when Israeli forces agree to withdraw from Egyptian territory (1957); a coup d'etat brings the Ba'ath Party to power in Syria (1963); Charles de Gaulle Airport opens in Paris (1974); the first episode of The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is broadcast (1978); Philips publicly demonstrate the prototype of the Compact Disc in Eindhoven, and Wolfgang Rihm's opera Jakob Lenz is premiered in Hamburg (both 1979); the Coen brothers' Fargo is released in the US (1996); and Malaysian Airlines flight MH370 from Kuala Lumpur, destined for China, disappears over the Indian Ocean (2014).

Birthdays Today include: Carlo Gesualdo (1566); Carl Philipp Emanuel Bach (1714); Oliver Wendell Holmes (1841); Kenneth Grahame (1859); Otto Hahn (1879); Charlotte Whitton (1896); Paula Strasberg (1909); Alan Hovhaness (1911); Ivor Keys (1919); Cyd Charisse (1922); Anthony Caro (1924); Lynn Seymour and Robert Tear (both 1939); Norman Stone (1941); Lynn Redgrave (1943); Micky Dolenz and Sylvia Wiegand (both 1945); Gyles Brandreth and Jonathan Sachs (both 1948); and Christian Wolff is 85 today.

Final Days for: Veit Bach (founder of the dynasty - 1619); Christopher Wren (1723); Ferdinand von Zeppelin (1917); William Taft (1930); Othmar Schoeck (1957); Thomas Beecham (1961); Harold lloyd (1971); William Walton (1983); Billy Eckstine (1993); Joe DiMaggio (1990); Adam Faith (2003); George martin (2016); and today is the 150th anniversary of the death of Hector Berlioz.

And the Radio 3 schedules for the morning of Saturday, 8th March, 1969 were:

Berlioz: Corsaire Ovt; Te Deum; King Lear Ovt; Requiem (complete).
    Record Review: Stephen Walsh BaLed Mahler's 3rd Symphony (! how many available versions were there in 1969?); Pauls Tilley reviews recent organ records.

(and then six hours of Sport )
    [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• Petrushka
      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post

Record Review: Stephen Walsh BaLed Mahler's 3rd Symphony (! how many available versions were there in 1969?).
      Four? (LSO/Solti; Concertgebouw/Haitink; NYPO/Bernstein; BRSO/Kubelik). There's a Boston SO/Leinsdorf as well but not sure of the year of issue. LSO/Horenstein was recorded in 1970.
      "The sound is the handwriting of the conductor" - Bernard Haitink

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
        Gone fishin'
        • Sep 2011

Originally posted by Petrushka View Post
        Four? (LSO/Solti; Concertgebouw/Haitink; NYPO/Bernstein; BRSO/Kubelik). There's a Boston SO/Leinsdorf as well but not sure of the year of issue. LSO/Horenstein was recorded in 1970.
        Yes - quite a few! Leinsdorf was recorded in 1968 - whether or not it had reached the shops by March '69, I don't know. Abravenal's wonderful recording was recorded in '69, so probably wouldn't've featured. The was also a VSO/Adler recording from 1951, but whether that was at all available for this review ... ?

Imagine ... just four recordings of a work; how today's BaLers must envy the time and detail they could put into a comparison!

Comment

• greenilex
          • Nov 2010

Luckily my English granny’s apron is in the suffragette colours, so I could wear it for lunch by the Civic Centre today.

Happy IWD to you all and your daughters and sisters and aunts and nieces and the rest of Rabbit’s friends and relations without exception.

Comment

• vinteuil
            • Nov 2010

Record Review: Stephen Walsh BaLed Mahler's 3rd Symphony (! how many available versions were there in 1969?); Pauls Tilley reviews recent organ records.
            Originally posted by Petrushka View Post
            Yes - quite a few! Leinsdorf was recorded in 1968 - whether or not it had reached the shops by March '69, I don't know. Abravenal's wonderful recording was recorded in '69, so probably wouldn't've featured. The was also a VSO/Adler recording from 1951, but whether that was at all available for this review ... ?

Imagine ... just four recordings of a work; how today's BaLers must envy the time and detail they could put into a comparison!
            Hermann Scherchen / Leipzigers, 1960

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
              Gone fishin'
              • Sep 2011

March 9th

The Feast Day of the Forty martyrs of Sebaste - all members of the Roman 12th Legion who, in 320, were condemned to be submerged naked in a frozen pond so that they might freeze to death for admitting to being Christians. One of the condemned recanted, left the pond and rushed to the hot baths placed nearby for just such a purpose - but Aglaius, one of the guards watching the others, said that he saw a halo of such beauty surrounding the remaining 39 that he converted on the spot, stripped off, and took the apostate's place in the pond.

Also on this Date: David Rizzio, Mary Queen of Scots' very private secretary, is murdered by her jealous husband, Lord Darnley - who stabs him 57 times (1566); Thomas Shadwell replaces John Dryden as Poet Laureate when Dryden refuses to take the Oath of Allegience to William & Mary (1689); Adam Smith's The Wealth of Nations is first published (1776); Haydn's Sinfonia Concertante in Bb is premiered in London (1792); Napoleon marries Josephine (1796); the US Supreme Court rules that the slaves on the Spanish ship Amistad were illegally imprisoned, and are free (1841); Verdi's Nabucco is premiered in Milan (1842) and his Ernani in Venice exactly two years later; Nicolai's Die lustigen Weiber von Windsor is premiered in Berlin (1849); Ambrose Thomas' Hamlet premieres in Paris (1868); the Great Blizzard of 1891 begins - over the rest of the month, gales, 15ft snow drifts and cold temperatures cause the deaths of 200 people and 6000 animals in the South-East of England; Indiana becomes the first state to enact an involuntary sterilisation law against "institutionalised persons" (1907); the RAF engages in its first independent military operation under the command of Wing Commander Richard Pink (1925); Brecht & Weill's Aufstieg und Fall der Stadt Mahagonny is premiered in Leipzig (1930); US bombers begin Operation Meetinghouse, dropping 120,000 firebombs on Tokyo (1945); Honegger's Fifth Symphony, Di tre re is premiered in Boston (1950); US documentary series See It Now broadcasts an exposé of the bullying tactics of "the junior senator from Wisconsin" Joseph McCarthy, prompting the end of McCarthyism (1954); the first of over a billion Barbie dolls is sold at the American International Toy Fair in New York (1959); Sputnik 9 makes a single low orbit of the earth, carrying a dog, a guinea pig, some mice/frogs [sources disagree] and a dummy human nicknamed Ivan Ivanovich (1961); Hiroo Onoda, a Japanese guerilla operating in the Philppines, surrenders on the orders of the Emperor as communicated by his Commanding Officer, 29 years after the end of the War (1974); Calvino & Berio's La Vera Storia is premiered at La Scala (1982); Soviet space probe Vega 2 got the closest to the nucleus of Halley's Comet, reaching 8030km (1986); and the US Space Shuttle Discovery completes the last of its 39 missions (2011).

Birthdays today include: Amerigo Vespucci (1454); Josef Myslivecek (1737); William Cobbett (1763); Vyacheslav Molotov (1890); Vita Sackville-West (1892); Samuel Barber (1910); Mickey Spillane (1918); Ornette Coleman (1930); Yuri Gagarin (1934); Raul Julia (1940); John Cale (1942); Bobby Fischer (1943); Alexandra Bastedo (1946); Keri Hulme (1947); Kaveli Aho (1949); Howard Shelley (1950); Bobby Sands (1954); and Juliette Binoche (1964).

F inal Days for: Kaiser Wilhelm I (1888); Leopold von Sacher-Masoch (1895); Frank Wedekind (1918); Robert Mapplethorpe (1989); Charles Bukowski (1994); George Burns (1996); Terry Nation 91997); Jean Coulthard (2000); John Mayer (2004); John Profumo (2006); and Howard Hodgkin (2017).

And the morning schedule for Friday, 9th March, 1979 were:

Overture: Gassmann L'Amore Artigiano Ovt; Mozart Piano Concerto #6; Haydn "Military" Symphony
              Morning Concert: Lalo Norwegian Rhapsody; Ravel Tzigane; Bizet "Seguidilla" and Duet from "Carmen"; Roussel Symphony #3.
              This Week's Composer: Berlioz Romeo & Juliette (complete - this was an extended edition)
              BBCNSO conducted by Eric Wetherell: Stravinsky 4 Norwegian Moods; Bridge 3 Idylls; Haydn Symphony #53.
              Janet Baker & Raymond Leppard: Songs by Fauré, Debussy, Berkeley, & Liszt.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                • Dec 2010

Blimey ferney - all that work, and I'm the only one to come here and say thank you!

Comment

• greenilex
                  • Nov 2010

Rest assured the silent majority are appreciating every word.

I hope the activity is in a sense its own reward, and you have a daily sense of achievement?

Comment

• johncorrigan
                    • Nov 2010

Yuri Gargarin...a true human hero, much underrated because he was not American...many happy returns, though he was probably happy to have returned just that one time.

Comment

• greenilex
                      • Nov 2010

Talking about frozen ponds, I am reminded of the open air winter swimming pools in Moscow and elsewhere. The air is bracing but the water is delightfully warm and there is certainly a mist around people’s heads.

Please understand that my experience of this is pre-Gorbachev, so not at all recent.

Comment

• Pabmusic
                        • May 2011

Originally posted by Richard Tarleton View Post
                        Don't worry you're not alone - both I and another Zulu-bore in our close family circle watch the films on the anniversaries every year albeit on different sides of the Atlantic

Henry Hook was misrepresented in the film, though to great dramatic effect - portrayed as an insubordinate malingerer who came good in the battle, he was in reality a teetotal Methodist lay preacher......

Stanley Baker's drinking buddy Richard Burton reads the roll of honour at the end..... (there, that's almost back on topic)
                        I chanced upon this, about Henry Hook - who ended up working in the reading room of the BM.

Henry Flynn recounts the story of Alfred Henry Hook VC, a private in B Company of the 2nd Battalion, 24th Regiment of Foot who served at the battle of Rorke'...

Comment

• Richard Tarleton

Originally posted by Pabmusic View Post
                          I chanced upon this, about Henry Hook - who ended up working in the reading room of the BM.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CIRTVls5Wj8
                          What an enchanting item, Pabs - thank you so much. I shall straightway send the link to my Ottawa correspondent and fellow Zulu-buff. I notice he had a copy of the DVD on the table with him, but clearly a case of the less said about the film's treatment of Hook , the better.

Re today's offering from ferney (and thanks from me too, ferney, I hope finding things of personal interest among them counts as thanks ) - I'm currently reading Adam Zamoyski's new biog 'Napoleon - The Man Behind The Myth', and very good it is too. "Josephine was thirty-two and, as Barras put it, growing precociously decrepit . She had never been a beauty...." and, to cut a long story short, resorted instead to every art of the courtesan to entrance. She was also careful to keep her mouth shut when she smiled to conceal her rotten teeth. She had, erm, been round the track a few times, whereas Napoleon was a bit of a newbie.

Comment

• edashtav
                            • Jul 2012

Honegger's Fifth Symphony, Di tre re is premiered in Boston (1950).

I got to know this powerful, shattering work through the the great BSO LP under Charles Munch. It has never been bettered and the CD transfer remains one if my favourite discs.

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
                              Gone fishin'
                              • Sep 2011

Thanks for all the words of encouragement and votes of confidence; the Thread has gathered quite a few views (for one of mine!) so I presumed that others were enjoying it as much as I was. The longest time is spent double-checking dates - I decided that vagaries caused by the Gregorian/Julian calendar should be ignored, hence the "on this date" rather than "day".

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
                                Gone fishin'
                                • Sep 2011

... and, I've been intending for some time to do some research into Radio 3 Morning schedules, to see if my memories of the higher quality of programming and presentation wasn't just a figment of my rose-spectacled imagination. It isn't - there's so much that I keep seeing, every day that I'd be as glued to the station these days as I was in my teens and twenties; so very much better than anything on offer to today's listeners.

Comment

Working...
                                X