X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • gurnemanz
    • Nov 2010

Closing threads

Only starting this in frustration as a consequence of the closing of the thread on which I was just about to post the message below. Ironical for two reasons: a) I said I was unlikely to start any more threads because of them getting hijacked and then closed. b) this one may also get hijacked and closed.

Originally posted by LMcD
    This is not the first time that a conversation on this Forum has been hijacked, and it probably won't be the last.
    Alas, 'tis true. How rude and tiresome it is to jump in on someone's newly started thread and undermine it by trotting out some tired old anti-Europe prejudices, which have already been aired to boring excess elsewhere.

I don't start many threads. The last one I started several months ago had to be closed when this kind of boorish behaviour took over. It puts me off starting any more and I wouldn't be surprised if this is the sort of thing which makes people give up on this forum.
  • Beef Oven!
    Ex-member
    • Sep 2013

Originally posted by gurnemanz View Post
    Only starting this in frustration as a consequence of the closing of the thread on which I was just about to post the message below. Ironical for two reasons: a) I said I was unlikely to start any more threads because of them getting hijacked and then closed. b) this one may also get hijacked and closed.

Alas, 'tis true. How rude and tiresome it is to jump in on someone's newly started thread and undermine it by trotting out some tired old anti-Europe prejudices, which have already been aired to boring excess elsewhere.

I don't start many threads. The last one I started several months ago had to be closed when this kind of boorish behaviour took over. It puts me off starting any more and I wouldn't be surprised if this is the sort of thing which makes people give up on this forum.
    beacon, in his/her OP decided to refer to his/her friend as living in the EU and being lucky because of this fact - this was said in the first sentence. I challenged this pointless trotting out of a tiresome pro-EU prejudice and others clamoured to gainsay me.

The thread was not 'hijacked', the responses that you don't like pertained to the OP's first sentence. Get your facts right and get off your high horse.

As teamsaint has pointed out, if people don't want such matters discussed on their thread, best not to include them in the first place, especially in the first sentence.

Just sayin'

Oh, and btw, when a thread goes off topic and stays off topic, it's usual to hive off the posts to a new thread. For some reason they are now censored by deletion.

Comment

• teamsaint
      • Nov 2010

deleted, Beefy made the point.

My comments about exchange rates ( for example) weren't prejudice, they were based on factual information .
      I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

• Beef Oven!
        Ex-member
        • Sep 2013

Originally posted by teamsaint View Post
        deleted, Beefy made the point.

My comments about exchange rates ( for example) weren't prejudice, they were based on factual information .
        indeed. I found your post about exchange rates over time, very interesting.

Comment

• kernelbogey
          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Beef Oven! View Post
          Get your facts right and get off your high horse.

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
            Gone fishin'
            • Sep 2011

Indeed - and they wait in abeyance whilst the ferney Stasi makes up his befuddled brain about creating a new Thread consisting of all those factually-based comments (knowing full-well that it will - as have all the other Brexit-based Threads - just end in name-calling, mutual sneers, tears, and requests from injured Forumistas to have their memberships removed).

I don't know what's in the water, but, judging by the amount of PM "nerve-soothing" I've had to do since Jan 2nd, the New Year's brought an inordinate ammount of bad-feeling amongst Foumistas.
            [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• teamsaint
              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post
              Indeed - and they wait in abeyance whilst the ferney Stasi makes up his befuddled brain about creating a new Thread consisting of all those factually-based comments (knowing full-well that it will - as have all the other Brexit-based Threads - just end in name-calling, mutual sneers, tears, and requests from injured Forumistas to have their memberships removed).

I don't know what's in the water, but, judging by the amount of PM "nerve-soothing" I've had to do since Jan 2nd, the New Year's brought an inordinate ammount of bad-feeling amongst Foumistas.
              It's an odd year........
              I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
                Gone fishin'
                • Sep 2011

It's an odd year........
                Next year's a Leap Year - I might jump.

Comment

• cloughie
                  • Dec 2011

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post
                  Next year's a Leap Year - I might jump.
                  You show good 2020 vision there, ferney!

Comment

• teamsaint
                    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by cloughie View Post
                    You show good 2020 vision there, ferney!
                    Oh very good......
                    I'd submit that to Specsavers if I were you.

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
                      Gone fishin'
                      • Sep 2011

Oh very good......

Comment

Working...
                      X