X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Barbirollians
    • Nov 2010

New Year’s Honours List 2019

A Damehood for Twiggy ! I hope she has done a lot for charity as I cannot imagine her acting can account for it and Nicola Benedetti suddenly promoted to CBE - I assume this is for her work in music education as I have not heard performances from her that would match Ida Haendel also still only a CBE.
  • pastoralguy
    • Nov 2010

Well, it's not a horse race, barbie. No one is pretending that Nicola Benedetti is Ida Haendel, Heifetz or, well, take your pick. However, she has done a tremendous amount for music education in extremely deprived parts of Scotland.

A very well deserved award. (More so than the horrible John Redwood who has been made a sir. Presumably for services to Wales...)

Comment

• subcontrabass
      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Barbirollians View Post
      A Damehood for Twiggy ! I hope she has done a lot for charity as I cannot imagine her acting can account for it and Nicola Benedetti suddenly promoted to CBE - I assume this is for her work in music education as I have not heard performances from her that would match Ida Haendel also still only a CBE.
      MBEs for:

Christian Blackshaw
      Stephen Darlington
      David Hill

Comment

• MrGongGong
        • Nov 2010

Great to see Jackie Tyler from the CBSO on the list

Comment

• cloughie
          • Dec 2011

Originally posted by pastoralguy View Post
          Well, it's not a horse race, barbie. No one is pretending that Nicola Benedetti is Ida Haendel, Heifetz or, well, take your pick. However, she has done a tremendous amount for music education in extremely deprived parts of Scotland.

A very well deserved award. (More so than the horrible John Redwood who has been made a sir. Presumably for services to Wales...)
          ...and Europe!

Comment

• gurnemanz
            • Nov 2010

Re Sir John Redwood: If, as any cynic would suspect, May is trying to buy off the Brexit nutters, she loses a little bit more of any remaining respect I still had for her.

Comment

• johncorrigan
              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Barbirollians View Post
              and Nicola Benedetti suddenly promoted to CBE - I assume this is for her work in music education as I have not heard performances from her that would match Ida Haendel also still only a CBE.
              Don't know about that but my Mum went to see Nicola in a church hall in Largs last week and said she was wonderful, and if she entertains my old Mum that's good enough for me.

Comment

• cloughie
                • Dec 2011

Originally posted by gurnemanz View Post
                Re Sir John Redwood: If, as any cynic would suspect, May is trying to buy off the Brexit nutters, she loses a little bit more of any remaining respect I still had for her.
                Particularly as he was probably one of the characters that led to Theresa’s comment about becoming the ‘Nasty Party’ in 2002. I suspect that in recent months her view has reverted to that. Redwood’s knighthood adds again to my thought that the Honours System is devoid of value and should be scrapped.

Comment

• Beef Oven!
                  Ex-member
                  • Sep 2013

May is one of the Remain-nutters, so she has to create some balance I suppose. She can't just pander to the Remain-nutters. Fortunately for me, I had no respect for her in the first place!

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
                    Gone fishin'
                    • Sep 2011

Originally posted by johncorrigan View Post
                    Don't know about that but my Mum went to see Nicola in a church hall in Largs last week and said she was wonderful, and if she entertains my old Mum that's good enough for me.
                    In fact, wasn't that the citation of her CBE? "For services to jc's Mum"? (A much better reason than most.)
                    [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• MrGongGong
                      • Nov 2010

FFS

Kind of destroys any credibility at all (not that there was much there in the first place)

Comment

• french frank
                        Administrator/Moderator
                        • Feb 2007

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post
                        "For services to jc's Mum"? (
                        Only a CBE!

It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• cloughie
                          • Dec 2011

Originally posted by french frank View Post
                          Only a CBE!

If the earth moved for his Mum perhaps it should have been. JCBE!

Comment

• johncorrigan
                            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by cloughie View Post
                            If the earth moved for his Mum perhaps it should have been. JCBE!

Reminded me of the Navvy who won the pools and bought a JCBGT, cloughie.

Comment

• ahinton
                              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Beef Oven! View Post
                              May is one of the Remain-nutters, so she has to create some balance I suppose. She can't just pander to the Remain-nutters. Fortunately for me, I had no respect for her in the first place!
                              She might be one of the nutters, but that's about it, I fear. Up a creek of her own choosing without so much as a canoe, let alone a paddle. If she really thinks that she can bribe the likes of the Sequoia by recommending him for knighthood of the realm, she's an even bigger nutter than I'd assumed.

Comment

Working...
                              X